Author Topic: Trump donates first presidential paycheck to Antietam battlefield  (Read 1042 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

The Washington Times
By Stephen Dinan
Wednesday, July 5, 2017

President Trump donated the first few months of his White House salary to Antietam National Battlefield, the national park in Maryland that preserves the hallowed ground of the bloodiest day of the Civil War, the government said Wednesday.

Mr. Trump’s first quarter salary of $78,333 was matched by an anonymous donor who gave another $22,000, bringing the gift to $100,000, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said.

The donation will restore an historic house on the battlefield, and will help replace fencing.

(more)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/5/trump-donates-first-presidential-paycheck-antietam/?utm_source=onesignal&utm_campaign=pushnotify&utm_medium=push
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Trump donates first presidential paycheck to Antietam battlefield
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:21:44 pm »
The Washington Times
By Stephen Dinan
Wednesday, July 5, 2017

President Trump donated the first few months of his White House salary to Antietam National Battlefield, the national park in Maryland that preserves the hallowed ground of the bloodiest day of the Civil War, the government said Wednesday.

Mr. Trump’s first quarter salary of $78,333 was matched by an anonymous donor who gave another $22,000, bringing the gift to $100,000, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke said.

The donation will restore an historic house on the battlefield, and will help replace fencing.

(more)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/5/trump-donates-first-presidential-paycheck-antietam/?utm_source=onesignal&utm_campaign=pushnotify&utm_medium=push

Certainly one of the best-preserved battlefields out there.  Heck of a place.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:57 pm »
Certainly one of the best-preserved battlefields out there.  Heck of a place.

I need to visit it one day given it's the site of my lines's one ultimate contribution to the building of this country.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:45:43 pm »
I need to visit it one day given it's the site of my lines's one ultimate contribution to the building of this country.

We got with a walking tour, and it was phenomenal.  You're standing right there at Bloody Lane, and the guide is holding up the photo from the identical perspective showing all the bodies piled up.  Most of the battlefield is planted with the same crops, so if you go in mid-September, you can get a great idea of how it affected visibility, etc.. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:53:29 pm »
We got with a walking tour, and it was phenomenal.  You're standing right there at Bloody Lane, and the guide is holding up the photo from the identical perspective showing all the bodies piled up.  Most of the battlefield is planted with the same crops, so if you go in mid-September, you can get a great idea of how it affected visibility, etc..

I can imagine. Been to Gettysburg a couple of times - one time early when I was the only visitor within sight of the Angle. There is something deeply spiritual about those battlefields. It surprised me.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:43:46 pm »
I can imagine. Been to Gettysburg a couple of times - one time early when I was the only visitor within sight of the Angle. There is something deeply spiritual about those battlefields. It surprised me.

We took the 3 hour self-guided tour of Gettysburg...awesome, well worth the 5 hours we spent.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:55:38 pm »
I love to take visitors first to Gettysburg, and then down to Antietam.  The contrast is so stark.  The first, all commercialized, heavily visited.  The second, where more Americans died on a single day than any other, is just the opposite.  It's eerily quiet in comparison to Gettysburg.

This was an excellent choice by President Trump.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 07:56:27 pm »
This simple act exceeds anything done in eight years by Soetero.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 09:52:13 pm »
I've been to Gettysburg. Now I'm putting Antietam on "places to see" this fall. I think that would be the perfect time to go. Not in sweltering heat like now.

I'm sure they have a hote/motel l where I can crash and make a weekend out of it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 09:54:18 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 09:57:32 pm »
We took the 3 hour self-guided tour of Gettysburg...awesome, well worth the 5 hours we spent.

Anyone visiting Gettysburg should 1) try to go during the off season, and 2) read Michael Shaara's masterpiece before going.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 10:13:09 pm »
I've been to Gettysburg. Now I'm putting Antietam on "places to see" this fall. I think that would be the perfect time to go. Not in sweltering heat like now.

I'm sure they have a hotel where I can crash and make a weekend out of it.

Across the Potomac River from Sharpsburg, MD (the town where "Antietam" was fought), is Shepherdstown, WV, where I've found prices to be lower.

Map:
https://goo.gl/maps/yoyTPfYGBeD2

The Bavarian Inn would be nice for a vacation, perhaps, but it's pricey and I go cheap if I'm just sleeping there and spending my time at the battlefield.  But if you can splurge on a meal, I'd recommend it (I like the Rathskeller dining room).

As for the battlefield, it's set up nicely to go north to south, just as the phases of the battle went.  Just don't short yourself on the end of the day, as Burnside's Bridge is a must-see (and I'm not just saying that because I have great memories of learning to waltz there!  ^-^).

If you have planned enough time and want a little hike, do the loop by Burnside's Bridge that takes you to Snavely's Ford --where the Union could have crossed the creek, but instead repeatedly bunched up and marched over a narrow bridge under the barrels of sharpshooters dug in across the way -- it's a nice walk through the woods along Antietam Creek. Just PLEASE remember to coat up with a high enough concentration of DEET!

The Sharpsburg battlefield is, at the same time, a place of great beauty and one for deep contemplation.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn