Author Topic: When Your Ancestral Forefather Is a Mummy: 19 Descendants of 5,300-Year-Old Ötzi the Iceman Identified In Austria  (Read 2090 times)

rangerrebew

4 July, 2017 - 22:56 aprilholloway
When Your Ancestral Forefather Is a Mummy: 19 Descendants of 5,300-Year-Old Ötzi the Iceman Identified In Austria

Those who are lucky enough to have well-kept family records may be able to trace their history back several generations. Some can even track family connections going back a few centuries. But what if you were told that you are a descendant of a Stone Age man that was brutally murdered around 5,300 years ago? Such is the case for 19 males in Austria , who are known through DNA testing to be descendants of the famous Ötzi the Iceman mummy.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/when-your-ancestral-forefather-mummy-19-descendants-5300-year-old-tzi-021477
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:59:25 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

4 July, 2017 - 22:56 aprilholloway
When Your Ancestral Forefather Is a Mummy: 19 Descendants of 5,300-Year-Old Ötzi the Iceman Identified In Austria

Those who are lucky enough to have well-kept family records may be able to trace their history back several generations. Some can even track family connections going back a few centuries. But what if you were told that you are a descendant of a Stone Age man that was brutally murdered around 5,300 years ago? Such is the case for 19 males in Austria , who are known through DNA testing to be descendants of the famous Ötzi the Iceman mummy.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/when-your-ancestral-forefather-mummy-19-descendants-5300-year-old-tzi-021477

That is amazingly cool.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
  • I'm Junger than that now.
    • Gods, Graves, Glyphs (we're new)
...what if you were told that you are a descendant of a Stone Age man that was brutally murdered around 5,300 years ago? Such is the case for 19 males in Austria , who are known through DNA testing to be descendants of the famous Ötzi the Iceman mummy.
Or, perhaps they are descended from his brother, or his father, or some other ancestor of his.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Or, perhaps they are descended from his brother, or his father, or some other ancestor of his.
But... but... this is the same sort of analysis that said Thomas Jefferson sired Sally Hemmings children (and not a relative).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But... but... this is the same sort of analysis that said Thomas Jefferson sired Sally Hemmings children (and not a relative).

Actually, the evidence pointed to Jefferson's brother.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I thought so, too, but the big push was to cast Jefferson as another evil slave owner out diddling the 'help'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I thought so, too, but the big push was to cast Jefferson as another evil slave owner out diddling the 'help'.
@Smokin Joe

That's because they not only wanted to be white,but wanted to be the offspring of someone white and famous. In that case,the brother just won't do.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
No, actually, it pointed directly at Jefferson.  There's just a stubborn denial of the obvious fact.  The DNA study merely helped confirm the accounts that had been around since the early 1800s.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Gods, Graves, Glyphs forum (we're new) Darwin Central (posting as Ned Ludlam) my FR posts, SunkenCiv?, FR topic by nuconvert

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
No, actually, it pointed directly at Jefferson.  There's just a stubborn denial of the obvious fact.  The DNA study merely helped confirm the accounts that had been around since the early 1800s.

I'll arm-wrestle you on this one.  The reports of the study may have claimed that, but the study didn't.

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
No, in fact, it's not.  Oetzi is a one of a kind, there are no other remains of the same vintage available for testing.  Despite the age of the Iceman, the Jefferson-Hemings study was more thorough and complex.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
DNA science is solid enough to convict or set free people in murder cases.

Our Ancestry DNA results have pointed us to known, verifiable relatives. In each instance, we put the relationships together quite easily.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
I'll arm-wrestle you on this one.  The reports of the study may have claimed that, but the study didn't.
What happened was, one of Jefferson's white descendants blamed it on a different branch of the family, a nephew.  That was entirely ruled out, not a scrap of DNA exists in that living line that matches the Hemings descendants.  For some that still won't do, so they just rejected the results, and attributed paternity to his brother.  The obvious problem with that idea is, ONLY Thomas Jefferson, NOT his brother, was anywhere near Sally Hemings when she got knocked up.  So, no.  The committee that generated the "oh no he didn't, it was Randolph" paper ignored the documentary evidence, and the DNA study results.  I'll concede defeat on the arm wrestling right now, though.  :)

Offline SunkenCiv

• This is SunkenCiv.
Our Ancestry DNA results have pointed us to known, verifiable relatives. In each instance, we put the relationships together quite easily.
I got one of their kits as a birthday present, and have been awaiting the results.  Do they come by mail, or email?  So far, I've rec'd nothing except email ads for their fine line of products, but a cousin said she'd waited two months, so, I'm about there.

One thing that had held me back before was, I was worried that my report would show I'm related to the pastrami sandwich I'd eaten.

Offline truth_seeker

I got one of their kits as a birthday present, and have been awaiting the results.  Do they come by mail, or email?  So far, I've rec'd nothing except email ads for their fine line of products, but a cousin said she'd waited two months, so, I'm about there.

One thing that had held me back before was, I was worried that my report would show I'm related to the pastrami sandwich I'd eaten.
My sister did Ancestry, Autosomal. The results by email, and you can also take that file, to other services.

The initial results give a regional breakdown. Later you get "cousin suggestions," which point to others who have tested with them, and may be related.

Some typical results may need further explanation. For example an apparent migratory path goes from Spain along the Atlantic coast into Britain.

Hence you might get "Iberian Peninsula," or "Southern Europe," even though your family tree says "English" or "Irish."

I believe it proves the "Irish" origin myths, telling stories of coming from Spain.

http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Hence you might get "Iberian Peninsula," or "Southern Europe," even though your family tree says "English" or "Irish."

I believe it proves the "Irish" origin myths, telling stories of coming from Spain.

http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/

@truth_seeker

Huh? I thought pretty much everyone accepts that as established  fact?

I have a THEORY based on nothing more than what I have read about human migrations in Europe and the various tribes that existed and mixed that some of these same "Iberian Irish" migrated to the hills of Scotland,and mixed with the Picts,eventually creating a new tribe that are now known as the Highland Scots. Mostly what is known about the Picts is they were "giants"  with red hair who liked to paint their bodies blue before running into battles naked,and  that they were so ferocious even the  Roman Army had to back off and leave them alone.  It might be noted that nobody seems to have ever had any interest in disturbing the Highland Scots the second time,either.

The Highland Scots also consider themselves to be separate from and superior to the lowland Scots,but seem to get along great with the Irish,who are also not known to be shy about fighting. Over anything or nothing at all. At any time.  As one wise historian once noted,"The best way to win the war between the Irish and the British is to send all the British to America,and not tell the Irish where they went."

Since there is no record anywhere of anyone wiping out the Picts,it seems more likely they just disappeared via breeding with newcomers who had the same temperament.

I have absolutely zero evidence to back this up.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:40:34 pm by sneakypete »

Offline truth_seeker

@truth_seeker

Huh? I thought pretty much everyone accepts that as established  fact?

Before DNA, at least two versions for "black Irish" were proposed:

1. Crew from the Spanish armada had washed ashore,
2. The origins myth was they had come by sea, from Spain.

I am merely remarking that DNA science, only a few years old, seems to verify the genetic connection between the British Isles , and Spain. Y-DNA haplogroup "R1b"

....and this map, see dark blue, for other clues ... "Megalith Cultures."

IOW up the Atlantic Coast of Europe
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:51:53 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Before DNA, at least two versions for "black Irish" were proposed:

1. Crew from the Spanish armada had washed ashore,

Well,that is also true. The originals beat them there by at least several hundred years,though.

I am merely remarking that DNA science, only a few years old, seems to verify the genetic connection between the British Isles , and Spain. Y-DNA haplogroup "R1b"

....and this map, see dark blue, for other clues ... "Megalith Cultures."

Something wrong with the map link. I can't get it to work.