Author Topic: Study lists top 50 worst U.S. cities  (Read 3024 times)

rangerrebew

Study lists top 50 worst U.S. cities
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:53:56 am »
Study lists top 50 worst U.S. cities

by Ben Brady/ July 3, 2017/ SOCIETY

A quality of life study conducted by the website 24/7 Wall Street formulated a list of the 50 worst cities to live in America, and some commonly referenced shanty towns headline it.

The 50 worst cities list was not kind to the state of Michigan, which contributed two cities to the top 10, and is home to the number one worst city to live in the US: Detroit.

http://dennismichaellynch.com/study-lists-top-50-worst-u-s-cities/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:54:43 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Re: Study lists top 50 worst U.S. cities
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:57:02 am »
I randomly picked out 8 of the cities to see what political party the mayor was beholden.  Much to my suprise :silly:, they turned out to be democrats so I guess it would be okay to estimate the vast majority of the worst cities are run by democrats.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:45:39 am »
And, only one in Texas. Lubbock?   Not sure why Lubbock is on the list.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 12:01:05 pm »

According to my Texas Tech daughter...

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline kidd

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 12:28:47 pm »
1 - Detroit, Michigan
2 - Birmingham, Alabama
3 - Flint, Michigan
4 - St Louis, Missouri
5 - Memphis, Tennessee
6 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
7 - Albany, Georgia
8 - Hartford, Connecticut
9 - Merced, California
10 - Wilmington, Delaware
11 - San Bernardino, California
12 - Springfield, Missouri
13 - Stockton, California
14 - Baltimore, Maryland
15 - Jackson, Mississippi
16 - Rockford, Illinois
17 - Miami Beach, Florida
18 - Springfield, Massachusetts
19 - Pueblo, Colorado
20 - Canton, Ohio
21 - Youngstown, Ohio
22 - Buffalo, New York
23 - Knoxville, Tennessee
24 - Fort Smith, Arkansas
25 - Cincinnati, Ohio
26 - Little Rock, Arkansas
27 - Paterson, New Jersey
28 - Tucson, Arizona
29 - Gary, Indiana
30 - Chattanooga, Tennessee
31 - Syracuse, New York
32 - Salt Lake City, Utah
33 - Reading, Pennsylvania
34 - Rochester, New York
35 - Lansing, Michigan
36 - Waterbury, Connecticut
37 - Atlanta, Georgia
38 - Fall River, Massachusetts
39 - Indianapolis, Indiana
40 - Medford, Oregon
41 - Lubbock, Texas
42 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
43 - Lawrence, Massachusetts
44 - Albuquerque, New Mexico
45 - Gastonia, North Carolina
46 - Shreveport, Louisiana
47 - South Bend, Indiana
48 - Camden, New Jersey
49 - Kansas City, Kansas
50 - Columbus, Georgia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 12:40:21 pm »
Lots of places have dust storms, including El Paso. They aren't on the list.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 12:44:07 pm »
Salt Lake City? I don't know. The list is bogus. I'm not criticizing Toledo, Ohio but often, it is on these kinds of lists.

Offline kidd

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:50:31 pm »
As always, no one will agree with such a list. And I'm no different ;)

In Connecticut, Hartford (#8) is not a good place at all. But Bridgeport (not on the list) is generally regarded as the worst city in the state.

I won't even drive through Camden, NJ (#48) as there are NO safe places. Camden is a garbage dump with bad pollution and no redeeming qualities. I would have put Camden at #2 on the list, with a big gap between #2 and #3.

South Bend, Indiana is #47 on the list. A college town that is mostly full of nice, well-kept suburban-type homes. It is insane that South Bend is on the list.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:02:28 pm »
I won't even drive through Camden, NJ (#48) as there are NO safe places. Camden is a garbage dump with bad pollution and no redeeming qualities. I would have put Camden at #2 on the list, with a big gap between #2 and #3.

:thumbsup3:

South Bend, Indiana is #47 on the list. A college town that is mostly full of nice, well-kept suburban-type homes. It is insane that South Bend is on the list.
They say low wages and plummeted home values.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:49:28 pm »
Sometimes, I have seen surveys like this include among criteria the things they look at might be such things as public transit and the park system. These are important, don't get me wrong but it does reflect the subjective nature of these kinds of studies. A number of these studies come out every year and may even change quite a bit.

Should Miami be docked a lot if they are considered to have a poor Park System? I'm not so sure.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:50:06 pm by TomSea »

Wingnut

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 01:53:54 pm »
Chitcago escapes the list?    Well that ruins it credibility right there.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 02:03:52 pm »
Camden NJ gave us Campbell's soup and Walt Whitman...

There are parts of Trenton I'm not comfortable driving around that should have been on that list. Or Newark.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:29 pm »

Lubbock made No. 6 with 808 violent crimes per 100,000 residents in 2010. Detroit and Memphis, Tenn., topped the list with 1,111 and 1,006 violent crimes per 100,000 residents, respectively.

http://lubbockonline.com/crime-and-courts/2011-10-05/lubbock-ranks-no-6-forbes-list-dangerous-cities

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »
According to my Texas Tech daughter...

Don't forget the stockyards smell........

Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 02:17:51 pm »
I haven't been to Lubbock in a number of years.  Always felt safe there.  It was the only city where you could have a dust storm in the morning and a snow storm that evening and the other three seasons inbetween.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 02:19:11 pm »

Exactly..Chicago should be #1
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 02:31:56 pm »
I haven't been to Lubbock in a number of years.  Always felt safe there.  It was the only city where you could have a dust storm in the morning and a snow storm that evening and the other three seasons inbetween.

One fine morning in early February when I was in the 6th grade, the day started off bright and sunny, temperatures in the 50's, no wind, with the promise of another mild but muggy West Texas winter day. Very few wore their coats to school. During morning recess, we all noticed the sky to the northwest was a deep, very dark blue. A Blue Norther was rolling towards us. BY noon, we were in a raging dust storm, temperatures were dropping fast too. By 1 PM, it was in the mid 30's with winds howling at 20+ mph, when thunder was heard and it started raining. At first it was raining mud until the dust was cleared. Temperatures kept dropping and by 3PM it was snowing. It was a long cold ride home on the bus that afternoon. Luckily we lived within 30 yards of the main road, so my brothers and I scampered into the house fairly quickly. The snow had stopped by dark, and the wind died. Overnight, the blue norther played out and winds shifted out of the south and temperatures warmed to well above freezing by dawn and the snow was gone.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 02:42:50 pm »

Perhaps what saves Chicago is that it still had some good neighborhoods.  I've been to Chicago a few times.  Stayed around the a Miracle Mile and River North.  Was told never to venture too far south or west. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 02:50:43 pm »
Everyone is dissing Chicago, possibly quite right; but if one is going by murder rates, New Orleans isn't on the list and they are known to have a worse problem in that aspect.  Chicago is huge, Southern California has some bad crime areas but they also have some of the safest in the US as well.  All of this plays a role in these studies.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/12/highest-murder-rate-us-cities-2013_n_6145404.html

Unfortunately, some of this study, say per Albuquerque and Salt Lake City on the list points to a homeless problem as well. Albuquerque gets quite a few homeless people during the winter because it is relatively warm. Then, on top of that, unfortunately, alcoholism affects the reservation and a general poverty level in much of the state.  There are variables.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 02:53:47 pm »
I don't get Chattanooga, which is my real home.  Booming economy, low cost of living.  Housing is a little strained because do any new people moved in.  It has  symphony, ballet and dozens of theatre and arts venues.  The parks system doesn't compare to Greensboro (where I live right now), but on the other hand there are a wealth of natural assets within a few minutes drive.  I don't know too much about the school system, but my gifted grandson attends a school for K5 thru 12 for gifted students.  It requires tuition payment but that is based on income.

Chattanooga makes this l u st and Cicago does not!
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Wingnut

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 02:53:48 pm »
One fine morning in early February when I was in the 6th grade, the day started off bright and sunny, temperatures in the 50's, no wind, with the promise of another mild but muggy West Texas winter day. Very few wore their coats to school. During morning recess, we all noticed the sky to the northwest was a deep, very dark blue. A Blue Norther was rolling towards us. BY noon, we were in a raging dust storm, temperatures were dropping fast too. By 1 PM, it was in the mid 30's with winds howling at 20+ mph, when thunder was heard and it started raining. At first it was raining mud until the dust was cleared. Temperatures kept dropping and by 3PM it was snowing. It was a long cold ride home on the bus that afternoon. Luckily we lived within 30 yards of the main road, so my brothers and I scampered into the house fairly quickly. The snow had stopped by dark, and the wind died. Overnight, the blue norther played out and winds shifted out of the south and temperatures warmed to well above freezing by dawn and the snow was gone.

888high58888

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 02:56:37 pm »
Salt Lake City?

The author must not enjoy fine wine...#'s 40 & 41, Lubbock and Medford have their own American Viticultural Areas (AVA). Very few wineries in Lubbock, but the Texas High Plains AVA has been producing some good wines. Llano Estacado Winery is worth a visit...just be advised that it may be a mile and a half east from where the GPS says it is. At least that's the way it was during our visit last year...lol.

I think there's 75+ wineries in the Medford area. I'll definitely be heading there on my next road trip west, though it won't be until next year at the earliest.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
As always, no one will agree with such a list. And I'm no different ;)

In Connecticut, Hartford (#8) is not a good place at all. But Bridgeport (not on the list) is generally regarded as the worst city in the state.

Several years ago, a friend and I wanted to see a concert being held at an amphitheater in Camden.  We were told, stay in Philadelphia, which is right across the river from the amphitheater.  Some friends of ours either didn't get that advice or ignored it.  They stayed at a hotel in Camden.  Their car was broken into.  Fortunately, nothing of value was taken and they weren't injured. 

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »
"Study."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024