Author Topic: U.S. Senators Call For New Strategy To Defeat Taliban In Afghanistan  (Read 904 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
U.S. Senators Call For New Strategy To Defeat Taliban In Afghanistan

A bipartisan delegation of U.S. senators visiting Afghanistan on July 4 called for a new strategy from the Trump administration to turn the tide against an increasingly strong Taliban insurgency and end the longest U.S. war.

The delegation, led by Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain, was in Kabul on a regional trip that included two days in neighboring Pakistan.

"None of us would say that we are on a course to success here in Afghanistan," McCain said at a press briefing at NATO's headquarters in Kabul.

"That needs to change, and quickly," he said. "The strongest nation on Earth should be able to win this conflict."

Continued: https://www.rferl.org/a/us-senators-call-new-strategy-defeat-taliban-afghanistan-mccain-graham/28596749.html

Offline Suppressed

Interesting.

What new strategies might we adopt?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Interesting.

How about the very novel one of politicians keeping their damned fingers off the buttons. Why don't they go for a few beers or something - and NOT interfere with the guys on the pointy end.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Of course this was orchestrated by McCain.

We really need the advice of someone who got caught.

I'd rather get the advice of someone who wins.  We miss you Stormin Norman.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Nice of them to give Barry a pass on that for all those years, and to jump Trump's butt when he's been in office less than six months.

Lots of stories out there about how we're going much better in Iraq/Syria now that the fighting is no longer being micromanaged by Washington.   Maybe give Trump a shot at finishing that fight up first.

Offline Night Hides Not

Interesting.

I though Mad Dog was working on it? IMHO, a good first step would be relaxing the current Rules of Engagement. Second step? How about cutting off their funding from Iran and others?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Wingnut

John's "Best Use By" date has long past. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If you are going to even attempt to win in Afghanistan, better be prepared to send troops into Pakistan.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

If you are going to even attempt to win in Afghanistan, better be prepared to send troops into Pakistan.

You know....we should have never armed those bastards to fight Russia. 

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I am tired of that old fool trotting around, pulling out the POW card at every turn, and selling his service for influence and personal political gain. It's a dishonor to other vets.
The Republic is lost.