Author Topic: Futurama fans are retaliating against Netflix’s removal of the show in the best way  (Read 792 times)

Offline Suppressed

Futurama fans are retaliating against Netflix’s removal of the show in the best way
Bring on the GIFs and memes
by Julia Alexander |  Jul 3, 2017, 2:00pm EDT
https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/3/15915508/futurama-netflix-gifs-memes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWPfcEOr2Yg

Nearly all of Futurama has been removed from Netflix and fans of the show aren’t taking it very well.

People have been posting a number of memes and videos — a perfect fit for the series — to show their displeasure with Netflix’s removal of the first five seasons. None, however, are as popular or as perfect as this particular joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWPfcEOr2Yg

Included as part of Futurama: Bender’s Game DVD, which was released in 2008. It was the third of four straight-to-DVD Futurama movies that helped make up the show’s fifth season. On the DVD, Bender parodies a popular anti-piracy message that included propositions like, “You wouldn’t steal a car, so why would you download a movie?”

The parody has been posted multiple times on Reddit and has been followed up with other “prophetic” images from the show’s earlier seasons. Like this particular caption, which introduced the fifth episode of season two.

Reddit/ecksperience

Of course, these weren’t the only pieces of media people used to voice their displeasure. Futurama has always been more than just a show; in the age of online culture, it became a go-to for reaction GIFs and memes. One of the more popular, called upon reaction GIFs that’s been used since Netflix removed the show is the one of Professor Farnsworth proclaiming that he doesn’t want to live on this planet anymore.

The most interesting aspect of watching people react to Futurama leaving Netflix — including an entire community of fans who fall asleep to the show at night and are concerned about what to do now that it’s gone — is seeing just how vital Futurama played in internet culture and conversation. Any of the GIFs or memes that have been posted are easily recognizable, much like The Simpsons or Arrested Development. Futurama wasn’t just a popular animated series, but became one of the internet’s own.

Here are a few more examples:

Excerpt.  Read more at https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/3/15915508/futurama-netflix-gifs-memes
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Some fan dressed his dog up as Slums McKenzie.

See the can of Slum?

@rodamala
@Hopalong Ginsberg

Thank you @Suppressed

I'm sure Bender appreciates it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:48:49 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline rodamala

Sometimes I miss Bender2's posts over on TOS.  I don't miss TOS, however.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Sometimes I miss Bender2's posts over on TOS.  I don't miss TOS, however.
@Bender2

Is here!!!!

He was one of the first people I spoke to on TOS.

@rodamala
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:11:08 am by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Good news everyone!

We've moved to a new dimension!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
^^

Man, Jeff Goldblum's really let himself go.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024