Author Topic: Kathy Griffin’s consequences continue as the Secret Service reportedly pays her a visit  (Read 795 times)

rangerrebew

Kathy Griffin’s consequences continue as the Secret Service reportedly pays her a visit
July 4, 2017 | Nicole Haas | Print Article   

The nightmare Kathy Griffin brought upon herself isn’t over.

The Secret Service has been pulled in to meet with Griffin after she posted a sick video holding a mock severed head of President Donald Trump.

“We’re going to fully cooperate with the Secret Service in their investigation,” Griffin’s lawyer Dmitry Gorin told the New York Times.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2017/07/04/kathy-griffins-consequences-continue-secret-service-pays-visit-509900
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 02:13:04 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

I'm sure she will call this more "harassment" from Trump. *****rollingeyes*****

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Old White men are keepin' her down. Da man be all up in her face!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
Makes me wonder if Obama's holdovers will automatically kick into gear and sic the IRS, OSHA, and a dozen other acronym agencies on her like they are so used to doing?

Offline Suppressed

The Norm Eisen tweet does raise an interesting question.  Where do you draw the line between bad taste and something needing investigation?

If authorities r taking @kathygriffin parody video so seriously, shouldnt they also question trump re his video beating @cnn per 18 usc 875?

He's right.  Trump's tweet violates the law if Griffin's does.*

To me, the question is whether this is just dragging a headline on for clicks, or whether the SS is still investigating.  I can understand a visit to act as a deterrent and to confirm no actual intent of action, but if we're still investigating, it seems that anyone could tell she wasn't serious, so it would be investigating prosecution of threatening.  If that's the case, that's changing things.

Disclaimer: IANAL.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The Norm Eisen tweet does raise an interesting question.  Where do you draw the line between bad taste and something needing investigation?

He's right.  Trump's tweet violates the law if Griffin's does.*

To me, the question is whether this is just dragging a headline on for clicks, or whether the SS is still investigating.  I can understand a visit to act as a deterrent and to confirm no actual intent of action, but if we're still investigating, it seems that anyone could tell she wasn't serious, so it would be investigating prosecution of threatening.  If that's the case, that's changing things.

Disclaimer: IANAL.

It's more than just an implicit threat to the President. What Griffin did was a salute to ISIS, whether she meant it that way or not. I think it is legitimate to find out where she stands vis-a-vis ISIS and the President.

She did not show herself beating up Trump, which may have actually been funny. No. She showed herself holding up his severed head. That is a completely different level of "comedy".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:19:29 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Suppressed

It's more than just an implicit threat to the President. What Griffin did was a salute to ISIS, whether she meant it that way or not. I think it is legitimate to find out where she stands vis-a-vis ISIS and the President.

She did not show herself beating up Trump, which may have actually been funny. No. She showed herself holding up his severed head. That is a completely different level of "comedy".

Yet you say it was comedy.  Comedy is protected speech.  The law requires a "threat", AFAIK.  Was Griffin a "threat" to Trump?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Yet you say it was comedy.  Comedy is protected speech.  The law requires a "threat", AFAIK.  Was Griffin a "threat" to Trump?

@Suppressed
Obviously, I said comedy sarcastically. Nobody I know or have read thought what she did was 'humorous'. Griffin being a threat to the President is not the primary point. What she communicated to the world was a threat to the President.

I mean, come on...wouldn't any rational person want to know what the hell she was thinking and why she did that? Even if just basic curiosity, I think a lot of people want to know what she 'intended' her message to be. It certainly wasn't humor. What she did was the opposite of funny. It was dangerous and grotesque. Nobody, nobody at all, much less the President of the United States, would put up with that without reporting it to the authorities. If someone sent you a video of your bloody head being held up, what would you do? Wouldn't you want to find out why someone sent that to you? And, what they meant by it?

rangerrebew

Was Griffin a "threat" to Trump?

Was John Wilkes Booth considered a "threat" to Lincoln or Lee Harvey Oswald to Kennedy?  When it comes to a POTUS, EVERY threat should be taken seriously.

Offline Suppressed

Was John Wilkes Booth considered a "threat" to Lincoln or Lee Harvey Oswald to Kennedy?  When it comes to a POTUS, EVERY threat should be taken seriously.

To my knowledge, neither of them provided any advance warning nor threatening.  I'm not sure how that applies to 18 USC 875.
+++++++++

Wingnut

To my knowledge, neither of them provided any advance warning nor threatening.  I'm not sure how that applies to 18 USC 875.

Mrs Lincoln enjoyed the play. 

Offline Suppressed

@Suppressed
Obviously, I said comedy sarcastically. Nobody I know or have read thought what she did was 'humorous'. Griffin being a threat to the President is not the primary point. What she communicated to the world was a threat to the President.

Was Trump communicating to the world a threat to CNN?

How do you differentiate?

I mean, come on...wouldn't any rational person want to know what the hell she was thinking and why she did that?

I admit that I don't understand any appeal at all for her "humor," including why she would be a part of the New Year celebrations.   So I can't explain why people watched her on New Year's Eve, paid to attend her shows, or found any humor or message in this piece.

Even if just basic curiosity, I think a lot of people want to know what she 'intended' her message to be.

Agreed.  But I know there are TOSsers who would get joy at seeing a similar image of BHO, yet not have any intention of doing anything themselves about it.  I.e., something can be a fantasy while not meant to threaten someone.

"Artistic" antics are one thing, but if she meant to threaten, the message would have been more direct, I think.

It was dangerous and grotesque.

Yes, free speech can be dangerous.  Is that how you meant that?  If not, how?

It was certainly grotesque.

Nobody, nobody at all, much less the President of the United States, would put up with that without reporting it to the authorities. If someone sent you a video of your bloody head being held up, what would you do? Wouldn't you want to find out why someone sent that to you? And, what they meant by it?

Interesting you should say that.  Decades ago, someone once left an envelope in front of my house, with a photo of me cut in two at the neck.  Yeah, it was disturbing, but mostly I wondered what kind of disturbed mind would do such a cowardly and bizarre thing.  No, I didn't report it to the authorities.

Maybe I'm somewhat less aroused by such actions, having had a stack of my newspapers set alight on my publisher's wooden porch while he slept upstairs.  There was no threatening, only action.

To me, threatening someone implies you are trying to get their behavior and imply or directly state a violent consequence if they fail to do it.  And in neither the Griffin nor Trump cases is this met...

18 U.S. Code § 875 - Interstate communications

(a) Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any demand or request for a ransom or reward for the release of any kidnapped person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(b) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

(c) Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to kidnap any person or any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

(d) Whoever, with intent to extort from any person, firm, association, or corporation, any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing any threat to injure the property or reputation of the addressee or of another or the reputation of a deceased person or any threat to accuse the addressee or any other person of a crime, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
+++++++++

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Nope, at least not privately, she's as happy as the pig in shit that she is for the publicity. She was all but forgotten until she pulled this stunt out of her obama.