Author Topic: Church choir sings 'Make America Great Again' song to Trump  (Read 10977 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Remember when you were outraged by this?

Well now you have this...
A Southern Baptist church choir sang a “Make America Great Again” ode at a rally President Trump spoke at on Saturday.

The song, called “Make America Great Again,” was based off Trump’s popular campaign motto that he has continued to use into his presidency.

The choir, from the First Baptist Church in Dallas, performed at the “Celebrate Freedom Rally” Saturday at the Kennedy Center.....

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/340451-choir-sings-make-america-great-again-song-to-trump

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Church choir sings 'Make America Great Again' song to Trump
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:56:38 pm »
"Mmm mmm mmm!!!"   :silly:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

HonestJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:08:53 pm »
Did I ever mention just how much I hate hypocrites?

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »
Did I ever mention just how much I hate hypocrites?

First Baptist Church in Dallas...Robert Jeffress...figures.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »
One thing I see many people are noting and commenting about on Facebook, is the Church covered up all the crosses with flags. While it was probably just aesthetics, it sure did send a message.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:26:15 pm »
So what?  This was a Celebrate Freedom Rally with a main focus on America's veterans.  The choir also sang "God Bless America", the Battle Hymn of the Republic and the National Anthem.  Shall we ridicule this too?

The song is a rendition of the rallying cry of Trump supporters from the election, a rallying cry about the nation, not the individual. The Evangelical audience was and is a large and important slice of the President's support. 

I guess we need to write off Evangelicals now, too. 

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:32:32 pm »
So what?  This was a Celebrate Freedom Rally with a main focus on America's veterans.  The choir also sang "God Bless America", the Battle Hymn of the Republic and the National Anthem.  Shall we ridicule this too?

The song is a rendition of the rallying cry of Trump supporters from the election, a rallying cry about the nation, not the individual. The Evangelical audience was and is a large and important slice of the President's support. 

I guess we need to write off Evangelicals now, too.

I take it then you will be going back and editing your posts of outrage about the Children's choir singing praises to Obama?  And that wasn't even a religious choir in a church..

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 07:40:13 pm »
I take it then you will be going back and editing your posts of outrage about the Children's choir singing praises to Obama?  And that wasn't even a religious choir in a church..

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 07:42:39 pm »

Apples to oranges.  The children were singing a song hailing Obama, the man, ... not making America Great Again.  So, no, I will not be making any edits.

And I will not again interrupt the "dump on Trump" roll that this thread is trying to get going.

Enjoy!   :seeya:

Offline ABX

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:54:19 pm »
The comments on First Baptist's page are, to say the least, interesting.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »
What the heck was a church hosting a rally like this for, anyway? Did it spread the gospel? Help the lonely, poor or suffering? Did it do anything to further God's work on Earth?

No. It was a political rally. It was God's people putting faith in government the same way the Hebrews demanded a king from Samuel.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 08:12:09 pm »
There may well be an ethical difference between children being dragooned into singing praises of an incumbent President, and children being encouraged to sing of their nation's lost pride in the form of a future campaign commercial on behalf of another incumbent President, but damned if I can figure out what it is.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 08:26:38 pm »
I'm guessing that the song is this one:
https://genius.com/The-long-winters-make-america-great-again-lyrics

and not this one:
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/bleep-riot-make-america-great-again-lyrics.html

(The link will work if you replace "bleep" with (another word for "cat").
The host software refuses to post the name of the music group.)

Neither song mentions Trump by name.
Both songs linked above talk entirely about issues.
The Obama song was ENTIRELY about him personally.

What bothered people several years ago was the fact that
the Obama song was being done in a
public school government indoctrination center,
funded at gunpoint by our tax dollars.

A church is a VOLUNTARY association.
Neither attendance or funding are compelled by force or threat of force.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:26 pm »
First Baptist Church in Dallas...Robert Jeffress...figures.

Billy Graham came to regret his association with Richard Nixon.  It's going to end the same way for Jeffress, Falwell, etc.

Offline ABX

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:11 pm »
Billy Graham came to regret his association with Richard Nixon.  It's going to end the same way for Jeffress, Falwell, etc.

Falwell Jr. made one of the worst, unchristian comments the other day about Trump. I need to dig that one up. He isn't regretting, he is selling his soul.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 09:15:59 pm »
What the heck was a church hosting a rally like this for, anyway? Did it spread the gospel? Help the lonely, poor or suffering? Did it do anything to further God's work on Earth?

No. It was a political rally. It was God's people putting faith in government the same way the Hebrews demanded a king from Samuel.

:thumbsup:

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 05:40:02 am »

Wisdom
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 05:51:56 am »

Yep. (And it was Reagan who came up with "Make America Great Again" first.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 10:27:19 am »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-instilling pride in our youth for our country; something that is much needed.  There is however something very wrong when people find fault with those promoting pride in America.  We've taken the pledge out of most schools, the word "God" cannot be used yet the teachings and premise of Shariah law is being allowed to creep into our school system.  A church choir promoting "Make America Great Again" should be music to everyone's ears; at least to those ears who believe that America is Great!  They were not 'hailing' Trump, they were 'hailing' our country!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 10:38:26 am »

I disagree; it wasn't a political rally at all; quite the opposite.  It wasn't a pro Republican or pro Democrat rally, it was a rally to promote pride in our country.  A country whose pledge contains the words; "one nation under GOD"!  Our currency contains the words "In GOD We Trust"!  Our country  is great because it was clearly founded upon Christian principals, morals and FAITH,  NOT political correctness!  America is great because of the Christian outreach into our communities and other countries and cities across the globe.  "America" without her, what would the world be like?  Think about it.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 10:55:23 am »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-instilling pride in our youth for our country; something that is much needed.  There is however something very wrong when people find fault with those promoting pride in America.  We've taken the pledge out of most schools, the word "God" cannot be used yet the teachings and premise of Shariah law is being allowed to creep into our school system.  A church choir promoting "Make America Great Again" should be music to everyone's ears; at least to those ears who believe that America is Great!  They were not 'hailing' Trump, they were 'hailing' our country!!

1) America already is great
2) you're being dishonest, you know that this is some weird homage to Trump, as they are singing his campaign theme for some reason.

It's weird, bizarre and creepy.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2017, 11:26:42 am »
1) America already is great
2) you're being dishonest, you know that this is some weird homage to Trump, as they are singing his campaign theme for some reason.

It's weird, bizarre and creepy.

Excuse me!  You are calling me a liar! I take extreme offense to that; who in the hell do you think you are? I don't know that this is some weird homage to President Trump.  It is a hommage to our country!! 

Let me repeat:  America is great because it was clearly founded upon Christian principals, morals and FAITH,  NOT political correctness!  America is great because of the Christian outreach into our communities and other countries and cities across the globe.  "America" without her, what would the world be like?  Think about it.

So "WTF", because a church choir sings a song which is based upon the motto to Trump's campaign "Make America Great Again", you see it as paying hommage to the man, rather than to the premise behind the motto and because I see the situation different you are calling me a liar ... Got it ... You're a creep!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:38:55 am by libertybele »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2017, 03:05:32 pm »
One thing I see many people are noting and commenting about on Facebook, is the Church covered up all the crosses with flags. While it was probably just aesthetics, it sure did send a message.
From the article, the choir, from the First Baptist Church in Dallas, performed at the “Celebrate Freedom Rally” Saturday at the Kennedy Center

Last I checked, the Kennedy Center (for the Performing Arts) is in DC. I saw a fine production of Shakespeare's Macbeth there when I was in High School. Outside the church, outside of a church service, any choir is just a group who sing together, under a specific director and name. Some do it better than others.

From that article, this was not held IN a church, the church choir went elsewhere and sang, as a group.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir used to do this too, iirc, as have other church choirs over the years. Whether those songs in the repertoire so blatantly sucked up to a particular politician is up to the individual to decide, but I don't recall such blatant ass-kissing since "Greensleeves" was on the Program during JFK's administration (It was allegedly his favorite song, although perhaps a little less obvious in catering to a particular ego--I like Greensleeves, too).

Had this been done in the church, with the heraldry of Christ covered by secular heraldry, I would opine an objection which would much more forceful than just noting some brown-nosing.

America is the greatest nation on Earth, already.

It can be restored to better economics, a great deal can be improved (generally by removing the burdens, roadblocks, and regulatory impediments of government as practiced and returning to our Constitutional roots), by government relinquishing the stranglehold it has on far too many aspects of our everyday lives. But we retain the capability to do all those things, including removing those governmental fetters, whether we have the political will and personal gumption to accomplish them or not. That's what makes America Great.

If it makes folks feel better, sing away.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2017, 03:24:26 pm »
From the article, the choir, from the First Baptist Church in Dallas, performed at the “Celebrate Freedom Rally” Saturday at the Kennedy Center

Last I checked, the Kennedy Center (for the Performing Arts) is in DC. I saw a fine production of Shakespeare's Macbeth there when I was in High School. Outside the church, outside of a church service, any choir is just a group who sing together, under a specific director and name. Some do it better than others.

From that article, this was not held IN a church, the church choir went elsewhere and sang, as a group.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir used to do this too, iirc, as have other church choirs over the years. Whether those songs in the repertoire so blatantly sucked up to a particular politician is up to the individual to decide, but I don't recall such blatant ass-kissing since "Greensleeves" was on the Program during JFK's administration (It was allegedly his favorite song, although perhaps a little less obvious in catering to a particular ego--I like Greensleeves, too).

Had this been done in the church, with the heraldry of Christ covered by secular heraldry, I would opine an objection which would much more forceful than just noting some brown-nosing.

America is the greatest nation on Earth, already.

It can be restored to better economics, a great deal can be improved (generally by removing the burdens, roadblocks, and regulatory impediments of government as practiced and returning to our Constitutional roots), by government relinquishing the stranglehold it has on far too many aspects of our everyday lives. But we retain the capability to do all those things, including removing those governmental fetters, whether we have the political will and personal gumption to accomplish them or not. That's what makes America Great.

If it makes folks feel better, sing away.
I think the difference here between what the MTC does and what this church is doing is that when the MTC performs somewhere, it's generally accepted that the Latter-Day Saints don't officially endorse what's going on. Many religious organizations and leaders have taken part in political functions to provide invocations, blessings, prayers and the like. To me, there's nothing wrong with that and it's to be encouraged.

What First Baptist appears to be doing here is explicitly endorsing a political candidate's agenda, one that is of questionable connection to the gospel it alleges to preach. The official church choir sang and the pastor spoke praising the candidate's agenda. In essence, First Baptist Church, as a congregation, is promoting a narrow political agenda centered around one person, and that person is no Jesus Christ. They're treading dangerously close to idolatry.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »
Just as disgusting and reprehensible no mater who some stupid false idol song is sung to.

You don't do stuff like that in a House of God.

Though I'm sure that there will be some here to lecture us and tell us why it's different with Donny.  **nononono*
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!