Author Topic: July 2nd Is Independence Day, NOT July 4th  (Read 875 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
July 2nd Is Independence Day, NOT July 4th
« on: July 02, 2017, 02:39:40 pm »

The Lid
by Jeff Dunetz
Jun 27, 2017

“Why then sir, why do we longer delay? Why still deliberate? Let this happy day give birth to an American Republic. Let her arise not to devastate and to conquer but to reestablish the reign of peace and law.

The eyes of Europe are fixed upon us. She demands of us a living example of freedom that may exhibit a contrast in the felicity of the citizen to the ever-increasing tyranny which desolates her polluted shores. She invites us to prepare an asylum where the unhappy may find solace, and the persecuted repose. If we are not this day wanting in our duty, the names of the American legislators of 1776 will be placed by posterity at the side of all of those whose memory has been and ever will be dear to virtuous men and good citizens.” — Richard Henry Lee-July 2, 1776

(more)
http://lidblog.com/july-2nd-independence-day-not-july-4th/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: July 2nd Is Independence Day, NOT July 4th
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:24:33 pm »
The editors were trying to decide if they should report it, and if so, how to spin it.

Then came twitter, and every man is his own journalist, editor and headline writer. The only requirement: keep it brief.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:28:58 pm »
No. 

They resolved to declare independence on July 2.  It passed then.

But the actual approval of the Declaration of Independence, when Independence was actually declared by approval and signature, was on July 4.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:53 pm »
No. 

But the actual approval of the Declaration of Independence, when Independence was actually declared by approval and signature, was on July 4.

Exactly right. And what date is written in the very top of the Declaration of Indepedence?  July 4th.  Yet some numbskull write this same story it seems every year.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 03:51:08 pm »
Exactly right. And what date is written in the very top of the Declaration of Indepedence?  July 4th.  Yet some numbskull write this same story it seems every year.

Based on the volume of fireworks this year, I'd say it started June 30th. :silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 03:51:55 pm »
Yeah, I know that in the heat of the moment, great folks like John Adams thought that July 2 would be the date celebrated, but that was just exuberance over the vote.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:05:51 pm »
Just returned from a Victora B.C vacation where Cànada is celebrating there 150th Independence Day. Classy celebration.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 04:17:36 pm »
Just returned from a Victora B.C vacation where Cànada is celebrating there 150th Independence Day. Classy celebration.

Victoria is a very cool nice place. A lot of the time we were  there, it was overcast and misty.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »
No. 

^ This.

The motion of Independence was carried via near-unanimous vote with one abstention on July 2nd.  The Declaration of their intention was signed on the 4th and solidified by each and every representative.

In short, it was put in writing and signed on the 4th - thus that became the date of our birth - even though the 2nd was important in terms of the Colonies declaring the right and ought to be free and independent states from the Crown.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »
I'd advise this semantically obsessed author to get a flipping life.

Congress sets Independence Day. They chose to set it on July 4, not July 2. So, regardless of what this keyboard warrior thinks, that's what it is.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 05:03:40 pm »
Personally I think the first Saturday in July should be Independence day so we don't get shortchanged with the weekday holiday.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 05:11:52 pm »
Personally I think the first Saturday in July should be Independence day so we don't get shortchanged with the weekday holiday.

Well if you are wanting to go in that direction, then I submit it must be the first Monday in July - so we at least get a three-day weekend bash out of it.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775