Author Topic: Trump Revives 1960s-Era Space Council as Private Players Emerge  (Read 1321 times)

Offline corbe

Trump Revives 1960s-Era Space Council as Private Players Emerge
Bloomberg

Toluse Olorunnipa, Justin Sink and Dana Hull
1 hr ago

President Donald Trump signed an executive order Friday to re-establish the National Space Council, reviving an entity that was formed during the 1960s race between the U.S. and the Soviet Union to reach the moon first.

The council, to be led by Vice President Mike Pence, will be a forum to shape the Trump administration’s approach to space as private-sector companies including Elon Musk’s SpaceX and Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin emerge as significant players.

“Space exploration is not only essential to our character as a nation but our economy and our great nation’s security,” Trump said Friday at a White House signing ceremony, adding, “I think privatization of certain aspects is going to play an important role.”

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-revives-1960s-era-space-council-as-private-players-emerge/ar-BBDvrAC?li=AA5a8k&ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump Revives 1960s-Era Space Council as Private Players Emerge
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 03:54:44 am »
President Trump Re-Establishes National Space Council
Space.com, Jun 30, 2017

U.S. President Donald Trump signed a long-awaited executive order June 30 re-establishing the National Space Council.

At an event in the White House, flanked by several members of Congress and industry officials as well as Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin, Trump signed the executive order that re-establishes the council, last active at the end of the administration of President George H.W. Bush in 1993.

"Today we are taking a crucial step to secure America's future in space," Trump said, according to a press pool account of the signing ceremony. The White House did not broadcast the event live, and provided scant advance notice of the event, taking place shortly before the president left for the July 4 holiday weekend. "We are a nation of pioneers and the next great American frontier is space." [The First 100 Days: What Trump Has Done on Space So Far]

Trump had previously announced that Vice President Mike Pence would serve as the head of the space council once it is reestablished. Pence stated on several occasions, dating back to the signing of a NASA authorization bill in March, that the president would soon sign the order re-establishing the council, with Pence as chairman.

Pence also spoke at the signing ceremony prior to Trump's arrival, reiterating past statements that the council will be key to ensuring American leadership in space. "With the action he takes today, President Trump will bring a renewed sense of purpose to America's space policy," he said, according to the pool report of the event.

More:  https://www.space.com/37363-president-trump-national-space-council.html

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 04:00:59 am »
I guess Bezos will be cut out of any potential deals.

Too bad since he has a much smarter plan for space than Musk.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 01:05:01 am »
I guess Bezos will be cut out of any potential deals.

Too bad since he has a much smarter plan for space than Musk.

@Cripplecreek

Bezos problem was he didn't play the game. But in reality I think that Bezos is going to be more beneficial long term than Musk. I think Musk wants to go to Mars and that is that. Bezos is thinking long term beyond Mars.

However, if I had their money I would be thinking Interstellar.. To hell with this Solar System..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/