Author Topic: Why We Should Reconsider Robert E. Lee’s Place In American Nostalgia  (Read 1254 times)

Online corbe

Why We Should Reconsider Robert E. Lee’s Place In American Nostalgia

As radical as they are, lefty extremists’ position is at least useful in making us rethink the elevation of Confederate leaders to undeserved heights.

By Kyle Sammin   
June 30, 2017

This year, we have been going through an overdue, if overzealous, reexamination of the place of Confederate imagery in a modern American society. After demolishing a statue commemorating the end of Reconstruction in New Orleans, activists have progressed to calling for the demolition of all Confederate war memorials. Some have even directed ire at a statue of Texas Founding Father Sam Houston—despite his impeccable pro-Union, anti-Confederate principles—because he owned slaves. At this rate, calls for razing the Washington Monument will not be far behind.

The answer lies somewhere in between the two extremes of neo-Confederate reactionaries and Antifa memory-holers. As radical as they are, lefty extremists’ position is at least useful in making us rethink the elevation of Confederate leaders to heights that, even ignoring the fact that they bore arms against the United States, would be undeserved.

In the decades following the Civil War, proponents of the Lost Cause myth created legends of men who were often merely mediocre. Nowhere is that more true than in the near-deification of Gen. Robert E. Lee.

True, Robert E. Lee Had a Fine Résumé

In 1861, Lee resigned his commission after a career of efficient, if unremarkable, service in the U.S. Army. His graduation from West Point in 1829 with zero demerits was exemplary—one of the few cadets to achieve that level of good behavior. He served honorably in the Mexican War, but as a staff officer rarely had occasion to showcase the strategic brilliance of Winfield Scott or dashing élan of John C. Frémont. Even Ulysses S. Grant, later maligned as a mediocrity by pro-Southern historians, was able to cover himself in glory when he dragged a howitzer into the bell tower of a church and bombarded enemy troops at the Battle of Chapultepec.

Lee’s peacetime service after Mexico could best be described as correct. His most noteworthy action was capturing John Brown during Brown’s well-intentioned but ineptly managed rebellion in 1859. When the Civil War began, Lee was stationed in a fort on the Mexican border. He returned home to Virginia and, unlike fellow Virginian generals Winfield Scott and George H. Thomas, he followed the Commonwealth into secession and war against the United States.

Lee became a full general in the Confederate Army early in the War, one of five so promoted. His initial combat action called that rank into doubt. At the Battle of Cheat Mountain in what was soon to become West Virginia, Lee’s forces outnumbered the Union army but threw away that advantage through poor coordination. It would go down as a minor battle, but at the time it was enough for Confederate President Jefferson Davis to reassign Lee to manage the coastal defenses of Georgia and the Carolinas.

Soon thereafter, federal troops captured Fort Pulaski on the Georgia coast, largely due to their innovative use of technology, which caught Lee flat-footed. It was a pattern that would repeat.

A Pattern of Errors

Lee was recalled to Richmond as the Union Army of the Potomac advanced toward the city. Initially placed in charge of the capital defenses, Lee’s cautious entrenchment earned him the nicknames “King of Spades” and “Granny Lee.” When Joseph E. Johnston, commander of the Confederate army defending Richmond, was injured, Lee took over command. Against the phlegmatic Union commander, George McClellan, Lee achieved his first victories, pushing the federal troops back from their position in the outskirts of Richmond.

Although he had finally shaken off his losing reputation, Lee’s tactical victories contained the seeds of the problems that would later doom him. Lee had McClellan on the run as the overcautious Pennsylvanian retreated back down the York-James peninsula toward transport ships for home. As he pulled back, however, McClellan ordered his men to occupy the high ground at Malvern Hill and entrench there. Lee, for all the faith he had earlier shown in entrenchments, now disregarded them and ordered his men to charge them head-on. The result was more than 5,000 Southern casualties. As Lee’s subordinate D.H. Hill later wrote, “it was not war; it was murder.”

Malvern Hill was not a one-time lapse in judgement for Lee. It revealed a fixed mindset about battle that, had any Union general picked up on it, might have led to a quick defeat for the Confederacy. Informed, like many of his generation of soldiers, by the battles of the Napoleonic Wars, Lee believed the path to victory was destroying the enemy army in one dramatic battle. Tactically, the idea suffered from advances in military technology—most especially in the development of the rifled musket—that rendered the frontal assault on an entrenched position far less likely to succeed.

Union generals were slow to learn this, too, as shown by unsuccessful and bloody assaults at Antietam and Fredericksburg. But even seeing the results from the other side failed to convince Lee. When he ordered Pickett’s Charge, a frontal assault on entrenched Union lines at Gettysburg in 1863, more than half the men involved were killed, wounded, or captured.

Better Tactics, Wrong Strategy

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2017/06/30/reconsider-robert-e-lees-place-american-nostalgia/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Joe Wooten

Those lefties are ignoring the fact that Lee was a very honorable man, and is greatly responsible for ensuring that a protracted guerilla war did not follow the Confederacy's defeat in 1865. If the South had had a greater industrial base, he might have carried the day in 1863 before Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan were promoted.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Those lefties are ignoring the fact that Lee was a very honorable man, and is greatly responsible for ensuring that a protracted guerilla war did not follow the Confederacy's defeat in 1865. If the South had had a greater industrial base, he might have carried the day in 1863 before Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan were promoted.

Lee's statement about surrendering as much to Lincoln's goodness as to Grant's army is a pretty clear statement that he sought complete reconciliation.

Even here in the north Lee is seen in a pretty positive light.

He fought a war he didn't want out of a sense of duty. Sam Houston faced the same dilemma as a politician but refused to endorse the confederacy or the war and still lost his son to the war.

Offline Joe Wooten

Lee's statement about surrendering as much to Lincoln's goodness as to Grant's army is a pretty clear statement that he sought complete reconciliation.

Even here in the north Lee is seen in a pretty positive light.

He fought a war he didn't want out of a sense of duty. Sam Houston faced the same dilemma as a politician but refused to endorse the confederacy or the war and still lost his son to the war.

His sense of duty lost him everything he owned before the war. A lot of folks don't know it, but Arlington National Cemetery was his plantation before the war.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
His sense of duty lost him everything he owned before the war. A lot of folks don't know it, but Arlington National Cemetery was his plantation before the war.

General Lee was a complex and very honorable man too much so IMHO!  He could have won the war in the first year had he been willing to do what was necessary.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
He could have won the war in the first year had he been willing to do what was necessary.

Could you elaborate? My understanding of the civil war is that the idea that the south ever even had a chance is kind of a stretch. All of the industry was in the north.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Could you elaborate? My understanding of the civil war is that the idea that the south ever even had a chance is kind of a stretch. All of the industry was in the north.

First let's dispense with this "civil war" garbage. It wasn't! Look up the definition for yourself.

That's exactly the point Dexter! It needed to be won early or it wasn't going to be won at all and Lee knew this but his sense of honor would not allow him to pursue it in the fashion necessary to accomplish that.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

The north was also much more heavily populated and had a never ending stream of immigrants flowing in. There was also plenty of truth in Sam Houston's warnings that northerners were not hot headed and impulsive and once moving would flow southward with unstoppable force.

Let me tell you what is coming. After the sacrifice of countless millions of treasure and hundreds of thousands of lives, you may win Southern independence if God be not against you, but I doubt it. I tell you that, while I believe with you in the doctrine of states rights, the North is determined to preserve this Union. They are not a fiery, impulsive people as you are, for they live in colder climates. But when they begin to move in a given direction, they move with the steady momentum and perseverance of a mighty avalanche; and what I fear is, they will overwhelm the South. -Sam Houston

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They are also ignoring the fact that Lee refused command of the (Union) Army of the Potomac to stay with his native State. Lee was fighting a defensive war from the onset, and I believe the South had underestimated the lengths the North would go to to force 'repatriation'.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
They are also ignoring the fact that Lee refused command of the (Union) Army of the Potomac to stay with his native State. Lee was fighting a defensive war from the onset, and I believe the South had underestimated the lengths the North would go to to force 'repatriation'.

They made the mistaken assumption that the North would be bound by the same honor codes they were.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
They made the mistaken assumption that the North would be bound by the same honor codes they were.
That, and could not envision the North invading to force themselves on the South. The invasion of Maryland should have tipped them off, and Lee should have invaded the Federal Capital forthwith. Southern Maryland was heavily southern in sentiment, as was most of the tidewater. Charles County tallied 4 votes for Lincoln, and the folks who cast those were 'asked' to leave.
Lee could have assembled an army among sympathizers on the same side of the river,  less than 40 miles from the Federal Capital, bringing them over the Potomac at night, and then marched.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis