Author Topic: Justice Department drops fight over 'Redskins' name  (Read 478 times)

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Justice Department drops fight over 'Redskins' name
« on: June 30, 2017, 01:40:19 pm »

The Hill
BY JOHN BOWDEN
06/29/17 06:01 PM EDT

The Justice Department on Thursday dropped the legal challenge to the the Washington Redskins' name, the Associated Press reported.

According to the AP, the Trump administration dropped the challenge in a letter to the Supreme Court in response to last week's ruling in Matal V. Tam, in which an Asian-American rock band won the right to copyright the name "The Slants," despite the name's offensive connotation.

In the Thursday letter, the Justice Department argues that the Matal V. Tam decision means that the court would decide in favor of the Washington Redskins if the case went before the justices.

Last week, Redskins owner Dan Snyder drew the same conclusion, and said he was "thrilled" by the court's decision in the copyright case His lawyer, Lisa Blatt, issued a  statement saying that the court's decision resolved the dispute over the NFL team's name.

(more)
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/340174-justice-department-drops-fight-over-redskins-name

Don't look now, but I think I see a little bit of rational thought creeping back into government and the courts. It is still too early to get excited. But more stories like this one would be a good sign that we are finally starting to veer away from the hard-Left course we have been on for decades where 'reality' doesn't matter. We may finally be getting back to normal for a change.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Justice Department drops fight over 'Redskins' name
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:37 am »
"We may finally be getting back to normal for a change."

Let's hope that it sticks around for a while.

Ahem… waitin' for the ne'ertrumpers to come thundering in, because 10 months ago they were trying to convince us there was next-to-no difference between "a New York liberal" like him… and o'er-the-hillary!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Justice Department drops fight over 'Redskins' name
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 07:56:20 am »
Headline Update.

The snowflakes are up by one.

In other news, the snowflakes are down by one.

Now back to our lead story.

The snowflakes are down by one.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley