Author Topic: HELP! Everything Is Messed Up After The 'Update'!  (Read 2342 times)

Offline mrclose

HELP! Everything Is Messed Up After The 'Update'!
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:42 pm »
I hope this makes sense because I am at wits end!

I updated to the 'so called' cumulative update KB4022716 yesterday.

Every since then I have been searching, trying and with a fair amount of cursing to get my colors and display back to normal!

Everything is pixellated(sp?) and the colors washed out.
Speaking of colors .. horrible!

I can read text on a white background clearly (like this post) but Everything else is unreadable.

Buttons, links and anything outside of this message box is washed out and almost unusable!

It is not the resolution, I have already tried that ... over and over again.

I have tried changing the themes and background colors .. nothing works!

Now for the Fun part!

I uninstalled my AMD driver and restarted the pc allowing microsoft to install a new driver upon bootup.

The desktop, web pages .. Everything was crystal clear and sharper than it was before the update!

Well ... within a minute or so, The D@MN screen blinks and everything is back to the MESS!

I have uninstalled and restarted so many times that I have lost count!

I have tried to get to the Device Manager to see what driver microsoft is installing that fixes the display but the D@MN thing keeps blinking out and reverting back before I have a chance!

I think that I can roll back to the previous update (where things were normal) and if no one here can help, that may be my only hope.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:56:45 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online andy58-in-nh

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline roamer_1

Re: HELP! Everything Is Messed Up After The 'Update'!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
I hope this makes sense because I am at wits end!

Vid.

Go find the newest video driver for your machine (from the vid chipset manuacturer's site) and do an overlay install.

If that doesn't work, do a full uninstall/reboot/reinstall of the vid driver.

If still no joy, see if you can borrow an after market vid card, and install that to see if it fixes... If that brings joy, go buy a new vid card and be happy. Likely the onboard is weak and the updates did something to work in harder in some fashion.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:53 pm »
I've tried downloading the drivers from AMD and according to them, I have the latest build.

I'm afraid that I will have to revert to the last update because .. The Shocking Pink color ... everywhere I go is blinding me! 8(
~ Self

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:39 pm »
I've tried downloading the drivers from AMD and according to them, I have the latest build.

I'm afraid that I will have to revert to the last update because .. The Shocking Pink color ... everywhere I go is blinding me! 8(

You can go back (restore), but I think it will not stay fixed. probably what you installed by update was the rollup, and that will keep trying to get back in.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:42 pm »
Roll back your video card driver. I had to do that with my laptop - the newest driver screwed up the display totally.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:51 pm »
If you have a home network (which you probably do if you have a cable modem/router/etc) and another PC, you may want to set up RDP when you get it working again (possibly by reverting the change).  This would allow you to manage the broken display PC from a working display PC.

BTW, I don't do the windows, but I figured there should be a command line way to list drivers and a search came up with "PNPUTIL.EXE -e ".  I don't have a way of testing that, or know if you could even read the output in a command prompt, but there it is.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 08:43:09 pm »
On the Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise you get the "Disable Automatic Driver Updates" option after disabling the entire auto update.

(On my system, Windows 10 Home there are no other options after disabling the Automatic Update function.)

You can put off the entire update for a while but you can't stop the downloading of any of the drivers that may be wrecking your system .. as the video driver does mine!

On a site that I have trusted, many times (How-To Geek) for "How To solutions", I found the following 'tools' for doing what I can't do myself!

I have downloaded both the disable and enable tools but wont use them until I get a number of feedbacks from the experts!
(You)

With no other solution, would some of you techs please take a look and tell me what you think?

Thanks!

If you don’t feel like diving into the registry yourself, we’ve created two downloadable registry hacks you can use. One enables this option, preventing Windows Update from automatically installing driver updates. The other disables this option, restoring the default behavior. Both are included in the following ZIP file. Double-click the one you want to use, agree to add its data to your Registry, and then restart your PC.

Disable Automatic Driver Updates Hacks

https://www.howtogeek.com/302595/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-updating-hardware-drivers/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:59:11 pm by mrclose »
~ Self