Author Topic: Sen. Rand Paul on Obamacare: 'We gotta really repeal it'  (Read 2510 times)

Offline libertybele

Sen. Rand Paul on Obamacare: 'We gotta really repeal it'
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:02:36 pm »
Exactly.  Nothing less than full repeal is acceptable!

After meeting with President Trump Tuesday afternoon, Senator Rand Paul, R-Ky., gave an interview with Fox News host Neil Cavuto in which he said that the president is open-minded about improvements to make the Senate version of the Obamacare bill more of a repeal.

“I think we had a good discussion, and I told the president I’m open to supporting it, but it has to get better and it has to be more of a repeal bill,” Paul said. “We keep too many of the regulations, we keep too many of the subsidies, and we create a new federal fund to subsidize insurance companies. So we’ve got to look at all of that and we have to ask the people who elected us on repealing Obamacare if this bill is really repeal......

.....“We have to get something that really works because – what I did tell him is ‘Look, I’ve been a doctor for twenty-some odd years, and I saw health care before Obamacare not working very well. I saw Obamacare come on and make it work even less well. I think there is some fundamental aspects to health care we have to try to fix and if we don’t fix them but we gain ownership of it, I think there is a big price to pay …’”

Paul, one of four GOP Senators opposing the Better Care Reconciliation Act on grounds that it does not go far enough to repeal Obamacare, told Cavuto that GOP leadership has not given conservatives feedback on their concerns.

“We haven’t had any feedback from leadership on their being open to changing any parts of the bill. In order for there to be negotiation, there has to be dialogue.”

Sen. Paul said he “formalized” their recommendations for the bill in writing this afternoon and will send them to Senate leadership and the president.

“I think this thing still could be done, but we have to keep our promise to the Republican voters as well as all voters that we were going to repeal the disaster that is Obamacare..........

https://www.conservativereview.com/articles/sen-rand-paul-on-obamacare-we-gotta-really-repeal-it

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: Sen. Rand Paul on Obamacare: 'We gotta really repeal it'
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:11:44 pm »
Get ready for the onslaught from Salem Radio...Hugh was really going after Dean Heller this morning. Interesting how he said nothing about Rand, Ted, or the others voicing opposition to the bill.

Salem has gone "full Trump" 24/7. 
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:18:54 pm »
Actually, Hugh Hewitt did have a caller from Kentucky going after Paul.

But Hewitt loyally walks the GOP line; I wouldn't call it going full Trump support.  I'd call it going full Republican in this case, Hewitt at one point, urged Trump to drop out when that recording came out, saying more would probably come out.

Medved won't though he's conciliatory towards healthcare reform and always ends up saying something like "well, it's better than what we have now". Prager often treats popular culture but he, some time ago, started supporting Trump.

I don't know if Steve Deace or Mark Levin are officially Salem radio though we do get them. They probably wouldn't but Mike Gallagher has supported Trump pretty much as long as I've paid attention, at least, since the primaries ended.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 01:27:25 pm »

But Hewitt loyally walks the GOP line; I wouldn't call it going full Trump support.  I'd call it going full Republican in this case, Hewitt at one point, urged Trump to drop out when that recording came out, saying more would probably come out.

Medved won't though he's conciliatory towards healthcare reform and always ends up saying something like "well, it's better than what we have now". Prager often treats popular culture but he, some time ago, started supporting Trump.

I don't know if Steve Deace or Mark Levin are officially Salem radio though we do get them. They probably wouldn't but Mike Gallagher has supported Trump pretty much as long as I've paid attention, at least, since the primaries ended.

Sounds like the lineup in your neck of the woods is a bit different. Larry Elder replaced Medved in Dallas, and Levin is on another station at his regular time.

I admit to listening to Hugh only a bit this morning on my drive to work. Dallas doesn't have him on for three hours, Mark Davis comes on during Hugh's third hour. It was like that when Bill Bennett was hosting his show.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:28:59 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »

Your assessment is pretty spot on.

Sadly, none of the above save Levin (maybe Deace, I dont know) will argue the issue from a fundamentally Constitutionally grounded perspective. They seem willing to surrender that ground without a fight.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:06 pm »

Something I agree completely with Rand about.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:46:27 pm »

Yeah, if only for the reason that's been the primary promise from the Pubbies since 2010. Obamacare would be much worse than it is now, had the most onerous provisions not been extended until after Obama left office.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 01:49:54 pm »
 :amen: Brother   :amen:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »
Yeah, if only for the reason that's been the primary promise from the Pubbies since 2010. Obamacare would be much worse than it is now, had the most onerous provisions not been extended until after Obama left office.

The whole Rotten ACA left a lot of Easter Eggs for Americans after Big Ears was safely out of office.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 01:51:51 pm »
Constitutionally grounded is spot-on

Unfortunately, after the 2008 elections, the Democrats did get a mandate(?) to push anything on us; entitlements as said many times, are hard to overturn and then, they passed it in the middle of the night, Christmas season I believe, "to find out what's in it, read it". The whole episode is frustrating.

Circumstances conspired to make this a difficult situation.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »
The whole Rotten ACA left a lot of Easter Eggs for Americans after Big Ears was safely out of office.

It's frustrating that the proponents of full repeal never mention it when "debating" (arguing) on news shows.

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 02:34:35 pm »
Paul, one of four GOP Senators opposing the Better Care Reconciliation Act on grounds that it does not go far enough to repeal Obamacare, told Cavuto that GOP leadership has not given conservatives feedback on their concerns.

And this will be the undoing of the Pubs. Trump is really no help on any of this. He's not a conservative and just wants a victory.

The "moderates" are like Trump they really don't care about the long term implications, or how health care will be forever changed. They just want to have a "victory".

The conservatives have to hold the line. If they give in on this Medicaid will be the single payer system we will all ultimately have to live under.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »

And this will be the undoing of the Pubs. Trump is really no help on any of this. He's not a conservative and just wants a victory.

The "moderates" are like Trump they really don't care about the long term implications, or how health care will be forever changed. They just want to have a "victory".

The conservatives have to hold the line. If they give in on this Medicaid will be the single payer system we will all ultimately have to live under.

Agree! Full repeal as promised. Full repeal as was voted on 60 times under Bammy.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 02:56:43 pm »
Agree! Full repeal as promised. Full repeal as was voted on 60 times under Bammy.

Mitch McConnell and his merry band of Pubbies never expected millions of us to be paying attention. Trump promised to "repeal and replace" Obamacare 68 times.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-promised-to-repeal-obamacare-many-times-ab9500dad31e

Donald Trump promised to repeal Obamacare at least 68 times, but after the House’s failure on Friday to even vote on its replacement bill, the American Health Care Act of 2017, the White House’s position is that Republicans are “stuck” with Obamacare.

As a candidate, president-elect, and president, Trump has repeatedly pointed to the repeal of Obamacare as a top priority and a key reason he wanted to be president.

Republicans are setting themselves up for a fall in 2018.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 03:19:37 pm »
Mitch McConnell and his merry band of Pubbies never expected millions of us to be paying attention. Trump promised to "repeal and replace" Obamacare 68 times.

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-promised-to-repeal-obamacare-many-times-ab9500dad31e

It's gonna be interesting to watch the fall out and the blame game if we lose the House and/or the Senate next year.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 03:29:12 pm »
It's gonna be interesting to watch the fall out and the blame game if we lose the House and/or the Senate next year.

It will take a real tidal wave to turn the House or Senate back to the Dems, as long as Pelosi and Schumer are leading Congress. Dems are despised much more than Republicans at this point.

One of my wife's cousins is an ardent Democrat, and is convinced that Ted Cruz will lose next year to Beto O'Rourke of El Paso. I informed him of a salient fact: Ted's support in the suburbs and rural areas will overwhelm the Democrat vote in the large cities. I couldn't recall the last time a Democrat from El Paso won a statewide race.

After a few beers, he said a few obscene things about Senator Cruz, and I politely but firmly told him his remarks were not appropriate for mixed company (we were at a wedding).

Offline bilo

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:34 pm »

I sure don't want to see it, but if the Pubs won't keep a promise they've been making for 7 years why support them.

Rand Paul made a great comment this morning on Fox Business. He said it's a lot easier for conservatives to go back to their constituents and explain that they couldn't vote for the Pub bill because it wasn't a repeal of obamacare than it's for the moderates to try and explain why they didn't want to repeal obamacare.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 03:50:13 pm »

Absolutely!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline TomSea

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 03:52:25 pm »
May agree but as likely, the Senators won't get anything done. I don't agree with that.

Thanks guys for standing on principal.

They might as well vote for Obamacare. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:52:59 pm by TomSea »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 03:52:41 pm »

Yep!  100%
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:02 pm »

Unless it's totally repealed, any gypsy fortune teller would tell you, 'Single Payer' within a decade.

That was the end-game from Day 1.

If the ACA can be tweaked depending on the ruling Party and you retain said legislation...you effectively legitimize it.

The Federal and State governments need to GTFO of healthcare. Period.

....cept for Medicare, of course.     :bolt:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:51 pm »
May agree but as likely, the Senators won't get anything done. I don't agree with that.

Thanks guys for standing on principal.

They might as well vote for Obamacare.

There'll be no compromising in our favor AT ALL if no one stands on principles while the bill is being written.

Offline bilo

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »
It will take a real tidal wave to turn the House or Senate back to the Dems, as long as Pelosi and Schumer are leading Congress. Dems are despised much more than Republicans at this point.

One of my wife's cousins is an ardent Democrat, and is convinced that Ted Cruz will lose next year to Beto O'Rourke of El Paso. I informed him of a salient fact: Ted's support in the suburbs and rural areas will overwhelm the Democrat vote in the large cities. I couldn't recall the last time a Democrat from El Paso won a statewide race.

After a few beers, he said a few obscene things about Senator Cruz, and I politely but firmly told him his remarks were not appropriate for mixed company (we were at a wedding).

I've noticed that libs really have no sense of decorum.

I don't think Pelosi or Schumer being lunatics will keep the Rats from getting a majority though. The media is non stop in their anti-Trump and anti-Pub coverage. If the Pubs don't keep their promises on obamacare and immigration, no matter how crazy the Rats are, there is no reason to vote for them. The Rats could retake the House in 2018 and maybe the Senate in 2020.

Imagine if the Rats run a moderately sane candidate for POTUS in 2020 and the Pubs haven't fulfilled their promises. It could get ugly very quickly.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 04:04:05 pm »
There'll be no compromising in our favor AT ALL if no one stands on principles while the bill is being written.

I would bet my last dollar that no actual senator was involved in the writing of this bill!  I'll bet it was done entirely by K Street lobbyist and a few senate aids!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 04:12:13 pm »

The GOP voted to repeal ObamaCare in it's entirety a bunch of times under Obama in their act of kabuki Theater.

Today - not so much.  They want to keep it, expand it, "improve it" - which simply tries to lessen the pain to usher in Single Payer which a bunch of them are now on-board with.

They are perfectly fine with that, and prefer to be the "opposition party" because thats when they get the most funding - and they are happy to simply be at the Democrat table.

The GOP is a national party no more.  They are simply become the Democrats with a handful of 'radical Conservatives' that they want out of their party.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775