Author Topic: The Royal Navy Is Back: Great Britain's New Aircraft Carrier Sets Sail  (Read 771 times)

rangerrebew

The Royal Navy Is Back: Great Britain's New Aircraft Carrier Sets Sail

And it will carry the F-35B.
Dave Majumdar [2]

The British Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth (R08) put to sea for the first time earlier today from the Scottish town of Rosyth where she was built for sea trials.

The massive 65,000-tonne vessel—which features a four acre flight deck—and her yet to be completed sister ship Prince of Wales are the two largest warships ever built by Britain.

Source URL (retrieved on June 27, 2017): http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/the-royal-navy-back-great-britains-new-aircraft-carrier-sets-21328

Offline thackney

HMS Queen Elizabeth will weight in at about 70,000 tons, cruise at about 25 knots (they say), carry a little shy of 2,000 sailors, flyers, and marines, and be able to field around 40 aircraft. Cost: $5b U.S.

USS Gerald R. Ford will weigh in at about 100,000 tons, cruise at about 30 knots (they say), carry a little shy of 4,700 sailors, flyers, and marines, and be able to field around 75 aircraft. Cost $12.8b U.S.

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-better-the-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-or-the-new-Ford-class-Aircraft-Carrier
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
HMS Queen Elizabeth will weight in at about 70,000 tons, cruise at about 25 knots (they say), carry a little shy of 2,000 sailors, flyers, and marines, and be able to field around 40 aircraft. Cost: $5b U.S.

USS Gerald R. Ford will weigh in at about 100,000 tons, cruise at about 30 knots (they say), carry a little shy of 4,700 sailors, flyers, and marines, and be able to field around 75 aircraft. Cost $12.8b U.S.

https://www.quora.com/Which-is-better-the-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-or-the-new-Ford-class-Aircraft-Carrier

So - the Lizzie is obviously far better. :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline thackney

So - the Lizzie is obviously far better. :tongue2:

Better depends on the measuring unit.

Would you rather have 5 Lizzie's or 2 Fords?  Same cost.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
5 Lizzies, without question. More aircraft, more global coverage, more redundancy for the same price and almost the same crewing levels.

Offline thackney

5 Lizzies, without question. More aircraft, more global coverage, more redundancy for the same price and almost the same crewing levels.

My thoughts as well.  Aside from top speed, not much lost.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
My thoughts as well.  Aside from top speed, not much lost.

Even that's a wash - you don't need the ability to go faster if you're already closer to where you need to be when the ball drops.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Aircraft
3 AEW
5 ASW
up to 32 Fast Movers but probably more like 20
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

I greatly suspect the 30 knots isn't close to the actual top speed.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-true-top-speed-of-a-USN-nuclear-aircraft-carrier#!n=12