Author Topic: N.H. Republicans Accidentally Approved a Bill Allowing Pregnant Women to Commit Murder  (Read 398 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Anti-abortion advocates often frame their arguments in terms of women’s empowerment. But rarely do they go as far as New Hampshire Republicans recently did with a bill that would have given pregnant women impunity to commit murder. ....

.... New Hampshire Republicans tried to reassure critics by including exemptions designed to protect from prosecution doctors and women seeking abortions. The bill’s original language stated that “any act committed by the pregnant woman” or a doctor acting in his professional capacity wouldn’t apply in cases of second-degree murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide. Unfortunately, “any act” implied, well, any act. The bill “allows a pregnant woman to commit homicide without consequences,” Republican representative J.R. Hoell told the Concord Monitor. “Although that was never the intent, that is the clear reading of the language.” *blooper sound effect*

Full article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/06/22/n_h_republicans_accidentally_approved_a_bill_allowing_pregnant_women_to.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline the_doc

Anti-abortion advocates often frame their arguments in terms of women’s empowerment. But rarely do they go as far as New Hampshire Republicans recently did with a bill that would have given pregnant women impunity to commit murder. ....

.... New Hampshire Republicans tried to reassure critics by including exemptions designed to protect from prosecution doctors and women seeking abortions. The bill’s original language stated that “any act committed by the pregnant woman” or a doctor acting in his professional capacity wouldn’t apply in cases of second-degree murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide. Unfortunately, “any act” implied, well, any act. The bill “allows a pregnant woman to commit homicide without consequences,” Republican representative J.R. Hoell told the Concord Monitor. “Although that was never the intent, that is the clear reading of the language.” *blooper sound effect*

Full article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/06/22/n_h_republicans_accidentally_approved_a_bill_allowing_pregnant_women_to.html

It is poorly worded, but statutes are supposed to be interpreted as to the intent of the language anyway--which intent is usually pretty easy to establish, I believe, from the legislative context.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It is poorly worded, but statutes are supposed to be interpreted as to the intent of the language anyway--which intent is usually pretty easy to establish, I believe, from the legislative context.
What is wrong with just getting the wording right? Don't any of these people read what they write with a critical eye? If not, they need to hire some skeptical person to read it over and look for 'gotchas'! This is just dumb.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What is wrong with just getting the wording right? Don't any of these people read what they write with a critical eye? If not, they need to hire some skeptical person to read it over and look for 'gotchas'! This is just dumb.

Pissing off a pregnant women is already dangerous as it is.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline the_doc

I agree.  Unfortunately, it happens a lot, more so in regulatory law than in statutory law, I think.