Author Topic: China opens gates to US beef imports  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
China opens gates to US beef imports
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:07:36 am »

AFP June 20, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-opens-gates-us-beef-imports-033705130.html
Beijing (AFP) - China opened its gates to US beef imports this week, giving American cattle farmers much sought-after access to the country's massive market following a 14-year ban.

Shipments of eligible US beef have been allowed to enter China since Tuesday, the General Adminstration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said in a statement.

Announced last month, the lifting of the beef embargo was one of the first concrete results of trade discussions that began when Chinese President Xi Jinping met with Donald Trump at the US leader's resort in Florida in April.

The agreement, seen as a sign of warming trade ties between the world's largest economies, also gives US natural gas and certain financial services access to China's market of nearly 1.4 billion people.

In return the United States will allow ...

Excerpt More at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-opens-gates-us-beef-imports-033705130.html
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Re: China opens gates to US beef imports
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:08:06 pm »
About 2/3 of the $6.3 Billion dollar US Beef Export business already heads to Asia.  This will like grow the market.

https://www.usmef.org/downloads/Beef-2007-to-2016.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »
About 2/3 of the $6.3 Billion dollar US Beef Export business already heads to Asia.  This will like grow the market.

MMMMMMM hmmmm. How much is ground beef there? It's up to $5.50 for lean here, and I have been told it will go higher. Nothing fancy, organic, "grass fed" or any of that, either. But the market will grow, until something happens, and then guys will get stuck with large herds when the bottom drops out. Just my guess.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
Time to grow more cows.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »
MMMMMMM hmmmm. How much is ground beef there? It's up to $5.50 for lean here, and I have been told it will go higher. Nothing fancy, organic, "grass fed" or any of that, either. But the market will grow, until something happens, and then guys will get stuck with large herds when the bottom drops out. Just my guess.

I opened up the local Kroger ad online.

https://www.kroger.com/weeklyad?StoreCode=00334&DivisionId=034

$6.99 for lb of 92% lean.

$2.49 for 73% lean w/ discount card.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »
Time to grow more cows.

I'm trying.  I'm beginning to think my pregnant heifers are holding them in.  One of them is so big in the middle I'm thinking quadruplets. [/s]

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:49 pm »
[...]But the market will grow, until something happens, and then guys will get stuck with large herds when the bottom drops out. Just my guess.

Welcome to ranching.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:04 pm »
I'm trying.  I'm beginning to think my pregnant heifers are holding them in.  One of them is so big in the middle I'm thinking quadruplets. [/s]

Wow. Ours always come when it's -40... That's probably your problem.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:58:36 pm »

Just when I thought (hoped) the price of beef would return to normal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 08:17:39 pm »
China opened its gates to US beef imports this week, giving American cattle farmers much sought-after access to the country's massive market following a 14-year ban.

The poor little rice eaters, no wonder they've been eating cats and dogs.
They haven't had a decent hamburger in 14 years!
Barba non facit philosophum.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 08:22:10 pm »
The poor little rice eaters, no wonder they've been eating cats and dogs.
They haven't had a decent hamburger in 14 years!

In most of Asia the price of beef was prohibitively expensive.   They ate cats and dogs because a) they are plentiful and b) traditionally they are believed to have certain health benefits.   I know the beef they have in Korea and Japan is mostly of a much higher quality then the standard beef here in the states.  I'm not saying we don't have good beef, just that most beef is raised for quantity vs quality.   

The three New York Strip steaks that my son paid $36 bucks for last weekend at the supermarket were pathetic.

Offline thackney

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 08:25:58 pm »
Wow. Ours always come when it's -40... That's probably your problem.

I was expecting with Tropical Storm Cindy, if it turned our way, we would get at least half the calves at that point.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »
...I know the beef they have in Korea and Japan is mostly of a much higher quality then the standard beef here in the states....

In 2016, Japan and S. Korea were our two largest US Beef Export Markets.

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:26 pm »
I know the beef they have in Korea and Japan is mostly of a much higher quality then the standard beef here in the states.

Do tell.

When I was in Korea and Japan, most of the beef was a mystery.
Usually monkey or some such varmint.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 08:32:17 pm »
I was expecting with Tropical Storm Cindy, if it turned our way, we would get at least half the calves at that point.

Right. It has to be the most awful weather possible... and then it has to be a problem delivery. That ls how it works.

I can't tell you how many calves I've jacked out of a cow in blizzard conditions... but enough for it to  seem to be the norm.

Horses are so much better to deal with.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:36:57 pm »
Right. It has to be the most awful weather possible... and then it has to be a problem delivery. That ls how it works.

I can't tell you how many calves I've jacked out of a cow in blizzard conditions... but enough for it to  seem to be the norm.

Same with sheep. Got a ewe in trouble with a stuck lamb? It is guaranteed to be February, 3 AM, pissing down, and she's stood on the most exposed bit of hillside she can find with her hindquarters firmly planted in a small stream, for your kneeling pleasure.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 08:41:40 pm »
Same with sheep. Got a ewe in trouble with a stuck lamb? It is guaranteed to be February, 3 AM, pissing down, and she's stood on the most exposed bit of hillside she can find with her hindquarters firmly planted in a small stream, for your kneeling pleasure.

LOL! I am a cowboy, so naturally, I have less than no experience with sheep... But what you say is certainly familiar.

:beer:

Offline thackney

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »

We just started with Longhorns late last year.  The first calf dropped with no problems.  The rest are still cooking in the oven.  Very small herd.  I've got a bull and six heifers (and one calf).

We have pondered about trying to breed one of our quarter horses.  We haven't worked up to that point yet.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:36 pm »
LOL! I am a cowboy, so naturally, I have less than no experience with sheep... But what you say is certainly familiar.

One of the reasons I moved away from the farm. My hands are long but very narrow - so just guess who kept getting woken at all hours to deal with stuck lambs and prolapses.  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 08:53:21 pm »
We just started with Longhorns late last year.  The first calf dropped with no problems.  The rest are still cooking in the oven.  Very small herd.  I've got a bull and six heifers (and one calf).

I was wondering what... Longhorns must heat up different. Most cows I have been around deliver early spring... and you're hitting summer.

We have pondered about trying to breed one of our quarter horses.  We haven't worked up to that point yet.

Should have started there. Horses are easy by comparison. When her teats wax up, fill a big stall full of straw, and put her in it... Very probably, everything will be fine. I have been more involved with horses than cows, and I have witnessed few problematic births wrt foaling... Though it will still be 3 am...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:54:51 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline thackney

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 09:00:29 pm »
I was wondering what... Longhorns must heat up different. Most cows I have been around deliver early spring... and you're hitting summer.

Should have started there. Horses are easy by comparison. When her teats wax up, fill a big stall full of straw, and put her in it... Very probably, everything will be fine. I have been more involved with horses than cows, and I have witnessed few problematic births wrt foaling... Though it will still be 3 am...

Part of the reason for trying out "hobby" farming with Longhorns are their reputation for being easy birthing, disease resistant (in this climate) and fertile.  Also they get by on poor grazing, but I supplement.

Some of the reading I have come across talked about fertility.  Gestation is 9 months, so they said to expect the next one 9 months and 3 minutes later.

Mine also came from a rodeo roping circuit.  The horns have been cut.  They have been handled and trailered a lot.  The were considered roped-out, meaning they gave up fighting a rope.  Rope them and the just stand still.  All were about 3~4 years old.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 09:01:35 pm »
Good luck with that.  Growing Black Angus the past 10 years has yielded only one set of twins.

Just sent some calves to auction last week, and they averaged only $1.39 a lb on the hoof.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 09:07:41 pm »

One of the reasons I moved away from the farm. My hands are long but very narrow - so just guess who kept getting woken at all hours to deal with stuck lambs and prolapses.  :whistle:

Oh, don't even get me started with prolapses. That's always discovered almost too late, and you've gotta get her outta the brush and on the ground some how without her snagging up on anything... Still in a blizzard, mind you...

The nice part is, the calf came out ok, but she's hid him somewhere, and you've gotta find him before he dies... It is necessary to start where he ain't and look like you're looking for him for at least 4 hours, just to get that out of the way, so that you can find him quickly once dawn weakly breaks.

I do not have long hands. My meat grabbers are clubs. and my arms are thick. Not the sort a cow might appreciate, but that's how it goes, because the mountain boys are always the ones riding at night.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 09:15:36 pm »
Part of the reason for trying out "hobby" farming with Longhorns are their reputation for being easy birthing, disease resistant (in this climate) and fertile.  Also they get by on poor grazing, but I supplement.

Some of the reading I have come across talked about fertility.  Gestation is 9 months, so they said to expect the next one 9 months and 3 minutes later.

Well, yeah... Left to their own devices, generally they birth early spring, and are with calf again within the next 3 months, which will make birth early spring again. But that's up here. Just seems weird to me they bred that late... I guess the first chance the bull had to get at em, huh?

Mine also came from a rodeo roping circuit.  The horns have been cut.  They have been handled and trailered a lot.  The were considered roped-out, meaning they gave up fighting a rope.  Rope them and the just stand still.  All were about 3~4 years old.

That must be nice. Every dang cow I have ever met is a lunk headed PIA...

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 09:16:41 pm »
Do tell.

When I was in Korea and Japan, most of the beef was a mystery.
Usually monkey or some such varmint.

Might have been dog but I doubt it.  No way was it monkey or any other varmint.