Author Topic: Exxon Mobil signs on to Republican-led carbon tax proposal  (Read 882 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exxon Mobil signs on to Republican-led carbon tax proposal
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:25:01 am »
By James Osborne
June 20, 2017
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Exxon-Mobil-signs-on-to-Republican-led-carbon-tax-11234842.php

WASHINGTON - Exxon Mobil Corp. and other large oil companies are backing a carbon tax proposal put forward earlier this year by a group of former Republican leaders including James A. Baker III, the former secretary of state and a Houston attorney.

The Climate Leadership Coalition, a group that includes Baker, former Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson, and former Secretary of State George Shultz, announced a list of "founding members" Tuesday that includes Exxon Mobil, BP, Shell, Total, General Motors and Johnson & Johnson.

"We support @TheCLCouncil as a founding member and are working to support its policy development process," Exxon Mobil tweeted Tuesday from its corporate account.

The coalition is urging President Donald Trump to adopt a tax on carbon emissions, revenue from which would be distributed among taxpayers to offset increases in energy prices.

More at link:http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Exxon-Mobil-signs-on-to-Republican-led-carbon-tax-11234842.php
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

Re: Exxon Mobil signs on to Republican-led carbon tax proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:22:33 pm »
"The coalition is urging President Donald Trump to adopt a tax on carbon emissions, revenue from which would be distributed among taxpayers to offset increases in energy prices."

So, we all get taxed indirectly, some of the tax money returned to some taxpayers. Something like that.

It's the Climate Leadership Council and it's international.

Read and weep: https://www.clcouncil.org/   https://www.clcouncil.org/founding-members/

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:34:07 pm »

Republican led? Three has beens who no one likes, one of which is a Rat, does not make it really Republican led. It makes it Progressive hack led.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 12:46:15 pm »
I'm sure they're just doing it out of the pure goodness of their hearts.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 12:58:57 pm »
How about "HELL NO"?

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 01:22:08 pm »
James Addison "Jim" Baker III (born April 28, 1930)[1] is an American attorney and statesman. He served as White House Chief of Staff and United States Secretary of the Treasury under President Ronald Reagan, and as U.S. Secretary of State and White House Chief of Staff under President George H. W. Bush. As Secretary of State, he helped oversee U.S. foreign policy during the end of the Cold War and dissolution of the Soviet Union, as well as during the Gulf War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baker

George Pratt Shultz (born December 13, 1920) is an American economist, statesman and businessman. From 1969 to 1970, Shultz served as the United States Secretary of Labor; from 1970 to 1972 as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget; from 1972 to 1974 as the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury; from 1974 to 1982 as the President and Director of the Bechtel Group; and from 1982 to 1989 as the U.S. Secretary of State.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Shultz

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »
James Addison "Jim" Baker III (born April 28, 1930)[1] is an American attorney and statesman. He served as White House Chief of Staff and United States Secretary of the Treasury under President Ronald Reagan, and as U.S. Secretary of State and White House Chief of Staff under President George H. W. Bush. As Secretary of State, he helped oversee U.S. foreign policy during the end of the Cold War and dissolution of the Soviet Union, as well as during the Gulf War. is a globalist who would pimp out his mother for a nickle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Baker

George Pratt Shultz (born December 13, 1920) is an American economist, statesman and businessman. From 1969 to 1970, Shultz served as the United States Secretary of Labor; from 1970 to 1972 as the Director of the Office of Management and Budget; from 1972 to 1974 as the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury; from 1974 to 1982 as the President and Director of the Bechtel Group; and from 1982 to 1989 as the U.S. Secretary of State. is a senile 96 year old and will probably die before football season starts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Shultz

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 01:33:36 pm »
Some alien has hijacked the Exxon I have known for many years.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 01:42:34 pm »

No doubt there's some means of increasing profit in it for them somehow.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 01:45:53 pm »

And others:

https://www.clcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Climate_Leadership_Council_WSJ_Ad.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/20/exxon-bp-shell-oil-climate-change

Oil giants ExxonMobil, Shell, BP and Total are among a group of large corporations supporting a plan to tax carbon dioxide emissions in order to address climate change.

The companies have revealed their support for the Climate Leadership Council, a group of senior Republican figures that in February proposed a $40 fee on each ton of CO2 emitted as part of a “free-market, limited government” response to climate change.

The fossil fuel companies announced their backing for the plan alongside other major firms including Unilever, PepsiCo, General Motors and Johnson & Johnson.

I may have found their reasoning:

Under the proposal, a $40 carbon tax, rising over time, would be levied on emissions in order to encourage a shift towards renewable energy sources such as solar and wind. All of the proceeds from the tax would be returned to the American public via “carbon dividends” – the group estimates a family of four would receive a payment of $2,000 in the first year.

As further tradeoff for the new tax, the plan would dismantle all major climate regulations, including the Environmental Protection Agency’s authority over CO2 emissions and an “outright repeal” of the clean power plan.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 01:47:44 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 02:37:49 pm »
How about "HELL NO"?

Exactly. No Republican in their right mind should be signing onto much less sponsor their own version of this Liberal ponzi scheme!
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 02:51:42 pm »
Well, being from ND, where six months of the year heat is life, where solar won't work (shortest days have 8 hours of daylight in the dead of winter, and winter can reach 60 below Fahrenheit, I'm against a carbon tax. I'm against anything that would keep us from burning the furniture in a pinch to keep warm (stove/fireplace regs).

If we tax carbon, and "tax" the act of breathing (the ACA), can oxygen and water be far behind?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 03:41:12 pm »

The Exxon you knew was in bed with a different breed of politicians.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 04:10:19 pm »
Actually, when Exxon had bought XTO and had large holdings in the Bakken, they were advertising how algae (pond scum) was going to fuel the future. I found that odd with the enormous amount of oil and gas reserves which had just been made available by the combination of horizontal drilling and frac techniques, and then I realized that the major oil companies have invested huge amounts of money in "green" energy and renewables, and were undercutting their own market for those fuels by obtaining cheaper out of the ground.

This tax scam will just keep the other stuff afloat, and XOM, BP and others are in deep for these programs. At the bottom of the deal I expect there will be the part which makes "green and renewable" energy exempt, even though the carbon footprint is often bigger than oil and gas.

Drain the swamp and the pond scum deals dry up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:12:24 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis