Author Topic: Don’t let the Dirty Dozen scare you off. The power of nutrients in fruits and vegetables far outweighs the risk of pesticides, dietitian says.  (Read 487 times)

rangerrebew

Don’t let the Dirty Dozen scare you off
The power of nutrients in fruits and vegetables far outweighs the risk of pesticides, dietitian says.

By Eve Clayton   | 0 comments | 25 Shares | June 17, 2017
Don’t veer away from the vegetable and fruit aisle just because it’s not organic—it’ll always be the healthiest part of the store. 

Every year consumers see more organic foods in grocery stores and at farmers markets as the number of certified organic farms in the United States rises.

And every year the nonprofit Environmental Working Group publishes a consumer’s guide that sorts fruits and vegetables into what they call the Dirty Dozen and the Clean 15. These lists rely on U.S. Department of Agriculture measurements of pesticide residues found on conventionally grown produce.

http://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org/dont-let-the-dirty-dozen-scare-you-off/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 12:48:10 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
But the problem is that vegetables are like that old programmers saying - Garbage In, Garbage Out. In this case Nothing In, Nothing Out. Chemicals or no, if the soil isn't properly maintained, the plant will have little nutrition in it. Those conventionally grown fruits in vegetables in the store have nearly no vitamins or minerals in them because of how they are grown. Even the organic stuff in the store I question.

Best to buy local or grow them yourself.
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

But the problem is that vegetables are like that old programmers saying - Garbage In, Garbage Out. In this case Nothing In, Nothing Out. Chemicals or no, if the soil isn't properly maintained, the plant will have little nutrition in it. Those conventionally grown fruits in vegetables in the store have nearly no vitamins or minerals in them because of how they are grown. Even the organic stuff in the store I question.

Best to buy local or grow them yourself.

That's exactly right, but you can preach it till you are blue in the face, and folks just won't believe you... Until by chance, they arrive at a place with organically grown produce and actually take a bite.

Store bought produce tastes like plastic to me. Grow some Romas and then buy some Romas, and be prepared to be astounded. Same with every other thing - all of it.

Same with cackleberries, btw... Crack an egg from a carton in a pan right next to an egg from an organically grown chicken... and the chickens themselves - I have an interest in 120 meat hens this season, grown in chicken tractors and moved every two days... eating nothing but natural pasture - and the difference in quality will be enormous, I assure you.

What folks are eating, even if they are eating well (no processed food), is crap.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:08:41 pm by roamer_1 »