Author Topic: The Misplaced Outrage Over a Trumpian Julius Caesar  (Read 551 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The Misplaced Outrage Over a Trumpian Julius Caesar
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:50:27 pm »
This may rustle some jimmies and cause some discussion. Basically, this play has put contemporary political leaders on the block every chance it can when it is put on, and when it was Hillary or Obama being portrayed, Conservatives praised it. But even that misses the bigger point....

In 2015, a production of Julius Caesar at Trinity Repertory Company in Providence gave a spin to the Shakespearian history play by reimagining the title character as a woman. The show was largely interpreted by critics to be referencing Hillary Clinton, especially considering that when its “Caesar” was murdered at the beginning of Act Three she was wearing a striking white pantsuit......

....A 2012 production by The Acting Company cast Bjorn DuPaty as Caesar, an actor whose resemblance to President Obama was noted by many critics. Noah Millman of The American Conservative praised the show’s timely inferences.....

....Many commentators have argued that, rather than advocate for the assassination of a controversial political figure, Julius Caesar does the opposite, warning of the chaos that comes from such action. But the subtlety of such a point is considerably easier to miss than the symbolism of a blond-coiffed businessman in a red tie being graphically executed onstage........

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/06/the-misplaced-outrage-over-a-trumpian-julius-caesar/530037/

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:51:08 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: The Misplaced Outrage Over a Trumpian Julius Caesar
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:15:54 am »
Indeed.

Back during the election, I took the view I would not give the assent of my vote to either of the wannbe Caesars.  I think you can find my having written exactly that on this board in explanation of my support for Gary Johnson.  I have also in numerous conversations warned anyone who opines about the desirability of Trump being assassinated that if you assassinate Caesar, you get Augustus.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:29:09 am »
This may rustle some jimmies and cause some discussion. Basically, this play has put contemporary political leaders on the block every chance it can when it is put on, and when it was Hillary or Obama being portrayed, Conservatives praised it. But even that misses the bigger point....

Basically the outrage supports my hypothesis that some who consider themselves conservatives (including my own dear parents) voted for Trump because he would do what obama did only with issues that they support.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:41:25 am »

The simple fact is that the play has been modernized and re-envisioned untold numbers of times over the years. When I was in high school in the early 80s I saw an Africanized version of the play with Ceasar portrayed as an African tribal chieftain. I have even heard of a version  based on Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars series where Ceasar was a Jeddak.

The only thing new here is the outrage.