Author Topic: Olivia de Havilland, 100, becomes oldest ever Dame : The Last Surviving Legend of the Golden Age of Films  (Read 2778 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE DAILY MAIL

URL : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4612154/Olivia-Havilland-100-oldest-Dame.html

She’s one of the last surviving legends of Hollywood’s golden age.

Her beauty and enigmatic smile saw Olivia de Havilland play alongside the biggest names of the silver screen – Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and Montgomery Clift.
Off screen she was romanced by the likes of Jimmy Stewart, John Huston and Howard Hughes – and reportedly turned down the advances of John F Kennedy. She won two best actress Oscars in a career spanning six decades and 49 feature films – many of them considered to be classics.

But it is only now – two weeks before her 101st birthday – that the Gone With The Wind actress has been given a damehood for services to drama. It makes her the oldest woman ever to receive the honour. In a statement, she called it ‘the most gratifying of birthday presents’.

For all her talent in front of the cameras, Dame Olivia – born to British parents in Tokyo – is also famous for the feud with her younger sister starlet Joan Fontaine, who took the surname of their mother’s second husband.

Both sisters refused to speak for 38 years up to Miss Fontaine’s death, aged 96, in 2013.

To this day, Dame Olivia and Miss Fontaine, who won a best actress Oscar for her role in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1941 thriller Suspicion, remain the only siblings to have won major Oscars.
Dame Olivia hit gold early in her career, with a role alongside Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind (1939).

The actress, then 23, picked up her first Oscar nomination for her performance as Melanie Hamilton, sister-in-law of protagonist Scarlett O’Hara played by Miss Leigh. She was also celebrated for her work with Errol Flynn on films including The Charge Of The Light Brigade (1936) and The Adventures Of Robin Hood (1938), with the pair hailed as a perfect on-screen match.

Later, she won her two best actress Oscars for romantic drama To Each His Own (1946) and The Heiress (1949).

The double Oscar winner is responsible for the so-called ‘De Havilland Law’, a landmark 1944 ruling that ended the tight grip studios had on contract actors and was widely seen as the beginning of the end for the old Hollywood studio system.

It came after Dame Olivia sued Warner Brothers in 1940 when the studio extended her seven-year contract, to account for time she had spent on ‘suspension’ for rejecting roles that executives wanted her to play.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:47:41 am by SirLinksALot »

Offline SirLinksALot

OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND WITH ERROL FLYNN

OLIVIA IN GONE WITH THE WIND

Dame Olivia pictured in Paris in 2011

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Dame Olivia de Havilland is also responsible for a crucial legal precedent: when your contract says years, it literally means calendar years, not elapsed time working. So if you sign a seven-year contract, they can't claim you only worked 40 hours a week and stretch it out to 29 calendar years, like they did before de Havilland called them out on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Law
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline skeeter

de Havilland is a bit of a local celebrity here in Los Gatos - she went to our local high school for awhile in the 30s. She even made the trip from France to give the commencement address a few years back.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Dame Olivia hit gold early in her career, with a role alongside Gable and Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind (1939).

The actress, then 23, picked up her first Oscar nomination for her performance as Melanie Hamilton, sister-in-law of protagonist Scarlett O’Hara played by Miss Leigh.

Watched Gone with the Wind for about the 12th time a few weeks ago. Fell in love with Melanie Hamilton for the 12th time too. ^-^
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jpsb

She is one of my favorites, quite attractive and always classy.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Wow, that's quite risqué for the early '30's.  .....and quite Hawt I'd say.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

She was only in one of the finest cinematic triumphs ever......

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Watched Gone with the Wind for about the 12th time a few weeks ago. Fell in love with Melanie Hamilton for the 12th time too. ^-^

I watched it four times in a row early on.  But when I tried to watch it again, I just couldn't stand Scarlett O'Hara to the point that I couldn't watch it.

But Yahoo just said this is the summer dress that everyone should have. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah.....Scarlet was so overrated. (Not that Vivian Leigh wasn't a dish, too!)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I watched it four times in a row early on.  But when I tried to watch it again, I just couldn't stand Scarlett O'Hara to the point that I couldn't watch it.

But Yahoo just said this is the summer dress that everyone should have.
If I need to reupholster the cabana....maybe.  That 'O-pressed' suit might not catch on so well, though.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
If I need to reupholster the cabana....maybe.  That 'O-pressed' suit might not catch on so well, though.

I think almost all of us dated at least one Scarlett O in our youth.  That special one that knew how to put the "B" in B____.

Offline Smokin Joe

I think almost all of us dated at least one Scarlett O in our youth.  That special one that knew how to put the "B" in B____.
I can think of a couple. One had a future in personnel management--had 5 of us on a string for a while and none knew the others were involved until we all sat down to lunch and started talking about our girlfriends....make that girlfriend. We were bemused, to say the least. Her last name was Hunt, and after that we had meetings of 'The Hunt Club' fairly regularly for about a year, just to drink and BS. After all, we were a pretty decent bunch (she had good taste, apparently).  :shrug: :laugh:

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I can think of a couple. One had a future in personnel management--had 5 of us on a string for a while and none knew the others were involved until we all sat down to lunch and started talking about our girlfriends....make that girlfriend. We were bemused, to say the least. Her last name was Hunt, and after that we had meetings of 'The Hunt Club' fairly regularly for about a year, just to drink and BS. After all, we were a pretty decent bunch (she had good taste, apparently).  :shrug: :laugh:
Mine that comes most to mind was a rebound college relationship with a hot Venezuelan coed.  Given my redneck upbringing and '70's SE Texas timeframe, this was scandalous family wise.  Soon however I determined she had Dom Perignon tastes that weren't being satisfied with my Lone Star Beer Budget.  Eventually, a few well timed calls from friends alerted me that she had started sampling local Texas cuisine.  That was the end of that.

A funny side note though.   Until then my father had a running joke every time he heard I was dating someone new.  It was always prefaced....   "Is she a white girl?"   Noticed after her he stopped doing that. 

Offline Smokin Joe

Mine that comes most to mind was a rebound college relationship with a hot Venezuelan coed.  Given my redneck upbringing and '70's SE Texas timeframe, this was scandalous family wise.  Soon however I determined she had Dom Perignon tastes that weren't being satisfied with my Lone Star Beer Budget.  Eventually, a few well timed calls from friends alerted me that she had started sampling local Texas cuisine.  That was the end of that.

A funny side note though.   Until then my father had a running joke every time he heard I was dating someone new.  It was always prefaced....   "Is she a white girl?"   Noticed after her he stopped doing that.
Our family goes way back in MD, and some of the folks down there have a highfalutin' idea about pedigrees and all that. I reckon if you have one, you just don't worry about it so much. (We always saw them as acting like nouveau riche folks anyway.) When Mrs Joe and I got engaged, I told my mother, "Mom, I found a girl from an older family!" (My wife is Chippewa.)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:12:18 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Olivia in her "senior" years is a very classy and elegant lady. Loved her in GWTW. It's hard to watch Scarlett without thinking about what a whackjob Vivien Leigh was. I love the movie, though.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Yeah that and a couple that put the "C" in C_____
The Republic is lost.

Offline NavyCanDo

Yes she was, they all were. Unlike my wife who has a whole list of today's Hollywood hunks she is enamoured with, all of my Hollywood sweeties are dead or over 90. There are none that compare in todays Hollywood.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

Yes she was, they all were. Unlike my wife who has a whole list of today's Hollywood hunks she is enamoured with, all of my Hollywood sweeties are dead or over 90. There are none that compare in todays Hollywood.
I can't think of any current male "stars" for whom I'd cross the street. They're just not good looking anymore, in my opinion.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

It was a different era, where women in Hollywood were expected to act like ladies in public and keep scandal to a minimum Not that there were no 'scandals', but with few exceptions they were not considered to be good for a career. Marilyn changed that with one picture, and things went down hill from there. Now, it seems to be a contest to see who can be the skankiest, trashiest, girl you'd never bring home to the family type.

I prefer the 'Ivory girl' image, myself. (On GIlligan's Island, I'd have been cozying up to MaryAnn, not Ginger.)

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

I hear you.   One of the worst characters in literature, IMO.

But I think we may be alone in that opinion......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

I can't think of any current male "stars" for whom I'd cross the street. They're just not good looking anymore, in my opinion.  :shrug:

Two guys named Chris are.........  Pine and Hemsworth.

I don't think any women acting today have the beauty of stars like Maureen O'Hara, Jeannette MacDonald, Vera Miles, Grace Kelly, or a slew of others.

Classic beauty must not sell these days.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline berdie

I hear you.   One of the worst characters in literature, IMO.

But I think we may be alone in that opinion......

Nah...you aren't alone. But Scarlett is a survivor you have to admit.

Offline musiclady

Nah...you aren't alone. But Scarlett is a survivor you have to admit.

Indeed.

And most of what she survived was of her own making.

Well............ I guess not the war part.  :dx1:

Offline berdie

@musiclady

I guess the war played a pretty big part of her personality. If there is ever a GWTW thread and I miss it, could you give me a ping? I've probably read the book about 5 thousand times. ^-^

I even thought about writing a book about all that might have happened o the minor characters. And I might do that when I retire. If I ever get to retire... :0001: