Author Topic: Do states have a right to flout 2A entitlements based on 10th amendment stipulations?  (Read 35791 times)

Offline thackney

And I'm still asking.

@Jazzhead

This court decision appears to define the RKBA to include carrying in the public square, but not open carry.  I take that to mean we are allowed to waltz down main street with our firearm, so long as those who are afraid of seeing guns, won't be frightened.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/02/18/second-amendment-protects-carrying-guns-outside-the-home-but-state-may-require-concealed-carry-rather-than-open-carry
 February 18, 2015

So the Florida Court of Appeal held Wednesday in Norman v. State. It concluded that the Second Amendment applies to carrying for self-defense outside the home.

After Heller I, McDonald, and [recent lower court decisions], it is clear that a total ban on the public carrying of ready-to-use handguns outside the home cannot survive a constitutional challenge under any level of scrutiny….

“A blanket prohibition on carrying [a] gun in public prevents a person from defending himself anywhere except inside his home,” and as such constitutes a “substantial … curtailment of the right of armed self-defense.”

And the court rejected the view of some federal circuits (the Second, Third, and Fourth) that highly restrictive licensing schemes, under which applicants must satisfy law enforcement that they have particular self-defense needs (rather than just the normal self-defense needs of the public at large) before they can get a license:

We stress, however, that the Legislature’s discretion in this area is not limitless. For example, the [Second Circuit] in Kachalsky upheld New York’s prohibitive licensing scheme using an intermediate scrutiny analysis that gave too much deference to the legislature, without considering the fact that the licensing scheme in question rendered the right to bear arms outside the home virtually non-existent…. A right is essentially “destroyed [if the] exercise of [that] right is limited to a few people, in a few places, at a few times.” Peruta, 742 F.3d at 1170 [that’s the Ninth Circuit decision striking down California’s restrictive licensing regime -EV]. The degree of legislative deference exhibited in cases such as Woollard [Fourth Circuit], Drake [Third Circuit] and Kachalsky [Second Circuit] goes too far, and would serve to validate expansive restrictions inconsistent with those rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment and the Florida Constitution.

But the court upheld the restrictions on open carry, precisely because Florida lets law-abiding adults get licenses (relatively easily) to carry concealed:

The Legislature “has a right to prescribe a particular manner of carry, provided that it does not ‘cut[] off the exercise of the right of the citizen altogether to bear arms, or, under the color of prescribing the mode, render[] the right itself useless.’” The Legislature is permitted to regulate the manner in which arms are borne for the purpose of maintaining public peace and safety, so long as any such regulation leaves available a viable carry mode.

Therefore, under Heller, the Florida Legislature could properly choose to regulate either the open or concealed carrying of firearms, or choose to regulate neither open nor concealed carry. What is clear is that the state cannot enact legislation that effectively prohibits both open and concealed carry at the same time. Any complete prohibition on public carry would “violate[] the Second Amendment and analogous state constitutional provisions.”

The court also held the same under the Florida Constitution, which specifically authorizes regulations of “the manner of bearing arms”: “The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.”

I think the court was quite right to recognize a right to carry guns in public for self-defense (for more on this, see here). I also think the court was right to allow the state to limit such carrying to concealed carrying, precisely because such carrying doesn’t substantially interfere with the ability to defend oneself. (That’s especially so because, if a situation arises in which a person reasonably perceives an imminent threat of death or serious bodily injury, the person would be free then to display the gun in self-defense, as well as use it, if necessary.) For more on such matters, see my Implementing the Right to Keep and Bear Arms article.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Surely you're not THAT obtuse.

Whatever it takes to disarm the yahoos waltzing around with guns, waving them around indiscriminately while drooling in their beer.  We have a major misunderstanding here, and thousands of words have been dispatched to clear that up, to no avail.

Face it, the guy is terrified of the looks of a firearm.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Whatever it takes to disarm the yahoos waltzing around with guns, waving them around indiscriminately while drooling in their beer.  We have a major misunderstanding here, and thousands of words have been dispatched to clear that up, to no avail.

Yeah that's the sad but true fact of the matter.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

You do realize that when this was written the ONLY way to carry firearms of the say was openly on ones belt or slung over ones shoulder don't you?

Surely you're not THAT obtuse.

@txradioguy

Anti-gunners aren't obtuse, uneducated or stupid.  IMO anyway.

They simply are afraid of themselves.   They abhor the idea that someone has the freedom to use deadly force for any reason.   They demand big brother govt be the only ones with that power.

In the UK the right of self defense was banned with the ability to own a firearm.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline LateForLunch

• GOTWALMA Get Out of the Way and Leave Me Alone! (Nods to Teebone)
Equal protection is a brake upon the arbitrary power of government...but if a state CHOOSES to afford such special rights and protections to married couples (as all do),  then such rights and protections must be afforded on a equal basis.

Your statement is odd. Constraining Constitutional equal protection stipulations to the narrow definition you use (a "brake" on government) is odd. Not one of my lawyer relatives (including one who is a liberal) agree with your assessment. Clearly you are not an attorney nor associate with them regularly.

Since there is no Constitutional right to marriage, and special privileges afforded voluntarily to married couples (based upon the long-held position that encouraging the raising of children is a good thing for society) are features of local, state or federal law only in the sense of enumerating the privileges, not codifying them as inflexible statutes or ordinance in anything but tax code or civil law, the argument that "municipal special privilege dispensation must conform explicitly to 14th stipulations," is an unsupported legal claim (albeit one that appears constantly in regard to gay marriage, nonetheless). Privileges are by definition not entitlements, and so are not enforceable by legal compulsion, nor is their denial often actionable.

Since over 50% of heterosexual marriages result in the generation of offspring, and less than 2% of homosexual marriages do, there is no strong moral basis for extending privileges of marriage to homosexual couples.

Gun rights are matters of entitlement, not privilege.

As far as pounding sand, if you will loan me some from the castle of argument you have constructed for conflating imaginary homosexual marriage "legal entitlements" to tangible, concrete gun rights entitlements, I might then pound some.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:50:57 pm by LateForLunch »
GOTWALMA Get out of the way and leave me alone! (Nods to General Teebone)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
   They abhor the idea that someone has the freedom to use deadly force for any reason.   They demand big brother govt be the only ones with that power.

And they are the first ones to whine when their lives are put in danger and big brother wasn't there to protect them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
There is no more fundamental issue in the American experiment than federalism.   We are a union of sovereign states.   The federal Constitution makes clear that rights not expressly enumerated, or accorded to the federal government,  are the province of the several states.   The Second Amendment only trumps the Tenth Amendment to the extent the states seek to infringe upon the gun right.   Regulation regarding open carry in the public square is not such infringement.   200 years of jurisprudence is the proof of that.
You left some out:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.
No power to infringe is delegated to the Feds, the Right being an individual Right to not be infringed, it is prohibited to the States (Note that no level of government is empowered to infringe the Right)

Considering the RKBA is a Right of the People, no, there is no authority on the part of the Federal nor the State governments. The language is clear: "shall not be infringed." By anyone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LateForLunch

I don't think we are going to be able to convince JH on any of these issues. He seems content with a fairly narrow view of Constitutional entitlements or a sweepingly broad view in confluence with the focus of his own arguments. I don't think he constructs a larger synthesis which embodies the totality of law in the large scale with all stipulations bearing the weight of the argument.

That is not meant as a slam on JH necessarily but only taking note of the danger of trying to establish too narrow or too broad legal definitions in laying out arguments as an advocate. The Constitution does not make use of parables, which is one of the only effective ways to remove ambiguity from statements without excessive verbiage or unwieldy, endless marching phalanxes and legions of words. Maybe the Founders should have used parables so that their intentions would be understood more clearly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 03:23:42 pm by LateForLunch »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't think we are going to be able to convince JH on any of these issues. He seems content with a fairly narrow view of Constitutional entitlements or a sweepingly broad view in confluence with the focus of his own arguments. I don't think he constructs a larger synthesis which embodies the totality of law in the large scale with all stipulations bearing the weight of the argument.

That is not meant as a slam on JH necessarily but only taking note of the danger of trying to establish too narrow or too broad legal definitions in laying out arguments as an advocate. The Constitution does not make use of parables, which is one of the only effective ways to remove ambiguity from statements without excessive verbiage or unwieldy, endless marching phalanxes and legions of words. Maybe the Founders should have used parables so that their intentions would be understood more clearly.

That's a very interesting comment on the use of parables.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You left some out:No power to infringe is delegated to the Feds, the Right being an individual Right to not be infringed, it is prohibited to the States (Note that no level of government is empowered to infringe the Right)

Considering the RKBA is a Right of the People, no, there is no authority on the part of the Federal nor the State governments. The language is clear: "shall not be infringed." By anyone.

Surely there is a clause somewhere that allows the right to waltz and wave about CAN be infringed.  Surely the Founders didn't want people to be scared of other people?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

Surely there is a clause somewhere that allows the right to waltz and wave about CAN be infringed.  Surely the Founders didn't want people to be scared of other people?

Probably not, but they probably would have advised them to put their big boy panties on.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Not just looks, but talk.   He threatens to call the FBI and sic them on us for 'threats' when discussing the purpose and intent of the Framers to Keep and Bear Arms in reference to those pushing tyranny upon us.

Considering he is in-fact, one of those who wants tyranny pushed upon us - it is no wonder he is terrified.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
All of the Constitution's enumerated rights are subject to reasonable regulation.

Exactly what every single Liberal Leftist/Marxist insists.

Thanks for outing yourself.... again.

If all the enumerated protections in the BOR are 'subject to regulation' - why bother having a Constitution at all?  That is where you people are taking us anyway.  You want the courts to decide who gets protection and who gets punishment based on your own perverted ideas.

Which is why for Liberal Leftists and their Apologists - enumerated rights are insisted they are subject to infringement, regulation and abolition - and perverted behaviors recently deemed by your kind to require 'equal protection' are inviolable 'rights' that may NOT be refused or rejected or reasonably regulated.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Smokin Joe

Wouldn't apply to me anyway, there 's something about 3/4 time that my old bones just don't get.

You can keep 'em and you can bear 'em, but brandishing, threatening, and generally maintaining poor muzzle discipline in an unsafe or threatening manner can be regulated and are. Mere presence of the arm is only a 'threat' to those who might have nefarious aims.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Mere presence of the arm is only a 'threat' to those who might have nefarious aims.

Or even talk about the use and presence of arms against those who might have nefarious aims apparently warrants notifying the FBI if you are a liberal.

Offline driftdiver

Or even talk about the use and presence of arms against those who might have nefarious aims apparently warrants notifying the FBI if you are a liberal.

So because of an armed person the liberal will call an armed government agent to "protect" them through the use of deadly force without a warrant, trial, or even a crime.

Offline LateForLunch

It seems to me that most, or at the very least a great deal of the cerebral acrobatics in which JH et al engage viz the 2A are really efforts to convince themselves that they know what they are talking about. The mixing of apples and oranges, speculative conjectures presented as legal precedents, misstating basic stipulations of law then construction architectures of thought upon them are the proclivities I observe which make substantive dialectic futile.

Such arguments more resemble the eruption of a rhetorical geyser than a purport from which an exchange of thoughts, opinions or information can follow. It is an indulgence in what might be called "opinionology" which refers to the use of one fact-sparse, highly biased personal opinion to validate another. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It seems to me that most, or at the very least a great deal of the cerebral acrobatics in which JH et al engage viz the 2A are really efforts to convince themselves that they know what they are talking about. The mixing of apples and oranges, speculative conjectures presented as legal precedents, misstating basic stipulations of law then construction architectures of thought upon them are the proclivities I observe which make substantive dialectic futile.

Such arguments more resemble the eruption of a rhetorical geyser than a purport from which an exchange of thoughts, opinions or information can follow. It is an indulgence in what might be called "opinionology" which refers to the use of one fact-sparse, highly biased personal opinion to validate another.

I long ago stopped feeding the troll!  Others can do as they please.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Thanks for your substantive and pertinent response, Thackney

The Legislature “has a right to prescribe a particular manner of carry, provided that it does not ‘cut[] off the exercise of the right of the citizen altogether to bear arms, or, under the color of prescribing the mode, render[] the right itself useless.’”

I think that's exactly right.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

Don't forget creative editing, leaving out seminal phrases like "...or to the people".

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I long ago stopped feeding the troll!  Others can do as they please.
I was wondering why you were being so quiet.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Thanks for your substantive and pertinent response, Thackney

I think that's exactly right.

You do realize, this court ruling defends carrying arms in the public square, even though the state can decide (within reason) how they are carried.  Some make the argument for open and not conceal carry just as easily.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I was wondering why you were being so quiet.

and now you know.
  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Since over 50% of heterosexual marriages result in the generation of offspring, and less than 2% of homosexual marriages do, there is no strong moral basis for extending privileges of marriage to homosexual couples.

Irrelevant.  If you extend privileges to heterosexual marriages, then the same must be extended to homosexual marriages.   Equal protection of the law.   Simple, really.   

But why do you care that gay couples have the same rights as you do? 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline driftdiver

Irrelevant.  If you extend privileges to heterosexual marriages, then the same must be extended to homosexual marriages.   Equal protection of the law.   Simple, really.   

But why do you care that gay couples have the same rights as you do?

Any man can marry any woman and have children.    Whats not equal?

But weren't you asked to stay on topic for this thread? :police: :police: :police: :police: