Author Topic: Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion  (Read 1820 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNBC

URL: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/16/amazon-is-buying-whole-foods-in-a-deal-valued-at-13-point-7-billion.html

by Sarah Whitten

Jeff Bezos speaking at the New York Economic Club luncheon in New York on Oct. 27, 2016. Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion 20 Mins Ago | 01:16 Just Watched... Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion.

Whole Foods' John Mackey will remain CEO of the grocery store chain after the deal closes, and the store will continue to operate under the Whole Foods brand.

Amazon's offer represents a 27 percent premium to Whole Foods' closing price on Thursday. The deal is expected to close in the second half year.

"This partnership presents an opportunity to maximize value for Whole Foods Market's shareholders, while at the same time extending our mission and bringing the highest quality, experience, convenience and innovation to our customers," Mackey said in a statement.

Whole Foods has been under pressure from Jana Partners hedge fund and money management firm Neuberger Berman, which have called on Whole Foods to sell itself. The investors have criticized Whole Foods for its poor performance, and have suggested the chain could be merged with another grocer.

Amazon has been pushing to expand its online grocery business.

(Excerpt) Read more at above link....

Offline Applewood

Re: Amazon is buying Whole Foods in a deal valued at $13.7 billion
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:42:33 pm »
This should be interesting. 

By the way, I'm a fan of both companies.

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:44:11 pm »
Some people are claiming that this should not be allowed to push through citing Anti-Trust concerns.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:51:29 pm »
This should be interesting. 

By the way, I'm a fan of both companies.

Fan too, but with Amazon's rate of ascension, I feel they will be ruling retail at every angle within the next 10 years. (Pretty much the world) This just may be the first of many  major Brick and Mortar forays.

A few months ago without thinking I asked a Walmart associate if they had any Amazon Gift Cards.  Lady told me the that that is one word in the store no one was allowed to mention.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »
"Alexa. Where is the nearest grocery store?"

"There is a Whole Foods 73 miles away."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »
What anti-trust?  They aren't really in the same business exactly,  it's not like two airlines merging.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:53:13 pm »
Whole Paycheck is more like it.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 01:58:26 pm »

:laugh:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:27:56 pm »

:silly:

Good one, Sir.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 02:29:03 pm »
I like the fact that Whole foods is anti-union but the only thing whole about Whole Foods is it is it a place where you spend your Whole Paycheck .  The sell overpriced crap to pretentious posers.  Amazon bought a loser.

Offline anubias

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
Whole Paycheck is more like it.

Yep.  Their prices are ridiculous.

Offline anubias

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 03:41:09 pm »
I like the fact that Whole foods is anti-union but the only thing whole about Whole Foods is it is it a place where you spend your Whole Paycheck .  The sell overpriced crap to pretentious posers.  Amazon bought a loser.

:thumbsup:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 03:45:26 pm »
I like the idea of a Whole Foods, though I have stopped shopping there because of inconvenient location and cost.  Amazon has a very successful business model and has been getting in to delivery of fresh groceries.  Maybe Amazon will improve Whole Foods prices and offer delivery from Whole Foods also.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:46:56 pm »

We just got one in my home town a few months ago. It's a nice store, but the prices are stupid.

Of course, this is a wealthy town and the parking lot is always full... I prefer to shop at our local Market Basket, a great New England chain which has fewer "specialty" items, but is a hell of a lot cheaper - and the ownership is very pro-America.  We also have a Fresh Market not 200 paces from the Whole Foods - and that is a specialty store with lower prices and less snarky attitude.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:36:39 pm »
We just got one in my home town a few months ago. It's a nice store, but the prices are stupid.

Of course, this is a wealthy town and the parking lot is always full... I prefer to shop at our local Market Basket, a great New England chain which has fewer "specialty" items, but is a hell of a lot cheaper - and the ownership is very pro-America.  We also have a Fresh Market not 200 paces from the Whole Foods - and that is a specialty store with lower prices and less snarky attitude.   

Do you have a Trader Joe's in your part of town? They are better IMHO and prices are more reasonable as well.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 05:01:57 pm »

LOL, I was thinking something along the lines of Bezos having a snafu with his Echo Dot. "I need to go shopping at Whole Foods" Echo: "Buying Whole Foods"

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 05:08:25 pm »
The sell overpriced crap to pretentious posers.  Amazon bought a loser.

You got that. Last time I was in one I thought I was at an NPR convention.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 05:08:57 pm »
Do you have a Trader Joe's in your part of town? They are better IMHO and prices are more reasonable as well.

They are building one in the next plaza, and it's supposed to open next spring. The closest one to me right now is about 20 miles, and we do make the trip every now and then because they do have good quality stuff at reasonable prices.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 11:57:13 pm »
Wall Street is rhapsodizing over this deal. I don't get it, frankly.

Please send me some milk and eggs- just have your drone drop it in the yard. Hmm, maybe buy some stock in businesses that will package the groceries. From an environmental stand point- there might be a huge amount of waste. Hmmm.

Do they really think everyone in the US is going to stop going to the grocery store? I don't.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 03:17:43 am »
catfish wrote:
"A few months ago without thinking I asked a Walmart associate if they had any Amazon Gift Cards.  Lady told me the that that is one word in the store no one was allowed to mention."

Hmmmm....

How long until amazon makes a move to buy Walmart?

"I'm make 'em an offa they can't refuse!"

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 03:23:39 am »
catfish wrote:
"A few months ago without thinking I asked a Walmart associate if they had any Amazon Gift Cards.  Lady told me the that that is one word in the store no one was allowed to mention."

Hmmmm....

How long until amazon makes a move to buy Walmart?

"I'm make 'em an offa they can't refuse!"

I think the Walton family may still be majority shareholders.  I am also thinking Bezos realizes that WM is a lethargic dinosaur with maybe a 20 year life expectancy at best.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.