Author Topic: Grenfell Tower inferno a 'disaster waiting to happen' as concerns are raised for safety of other buildings  (Read 1732 times)

Online DB

An inferno which engulfed a tower block, killing at least 12 in what could become one of the biggest fire tragedies in British history, was a "disaster waiting to happen", experts have said.
Fears were raised that green energy concerns were prioritised ahead of safety as it emerged that cladding used to make the building more sustainable could have accelerated the fire.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/grenfell-tower-inferno-disaster-waiting-happen-concerns-raised/

Online DB

Be warned, this is painful to read.

@Smokin Joe it looks like our speculation is pretty close to the truth.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sustainability and cosmetics. Actually, @EC brought up the cosmetic aspect.
"Sustainability" is an ecowhacko Agenda 21 blanked excuse to make a mess of lots of things, not just buildings.

But I see this as the 'sustainability' equivalent of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire.

Maybe some good will come of it. Enough bad has.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
This will likely bring tears, it did me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/14/people-just-waiting-fire-take-waiting-die/

Whoever made the decision for the residents to stay in their apartments should be forced to clear the bodies.  Then jailed for the rest of their life.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Oceander

Whoever made the decision for the residents to stay in their apartments should be forced to clear the bodies.  Then jailed for the rest of their life.

That is typical practice in large multi-story structures like big apartment buildings. 

Offline driftdiver

That is typical practice in large multi-story structures like big apartment buildings.

Yes, in buildings which aren't clad in flammable plastics, have functioning sprinkler systems and don't use butane in their refrigerators it might make sense.

Online DB

If the building wasn't wrapped in a torch that would probably the best thing to do. Especially with concrete floors separating levels. The single stairway was only about 10' by 10' all the way up in a single column (if I understand correctly). Once the fire doors are breached at a lower level the stairway is done. You would think people could make it to the roof and be rescued by helicopter. But so far I've not heard that happened at all.

Online DB

Yes, in buildings which aren't clad in flammable plastics, have functioning sprinkler systems and don't use butane in their refrigerators it might make sense.

Pretty insane. Not something I'd expect in London. India, sure.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sustainability and green living is an effort to make humans extinct so it looks they have scored a few hundred here. Congrats greens.

Oceander

No, it's standard practice in all big buildings.  The fact that it led to disaster in this instance has to do with those other factors, not with the standard practice that applies to all buildings. 

Offline driftdiver

No, it's standard practice in all big buildings.  The fact that it led to disaster in this instance has to do with those other factors, not with the standard practice that applies to all buildings.

Isn't that what I said?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
You would think people could make it to the roof and be rescued by helicopter. But so far I've not heard that happened at all.

Not a hope in hell for that, with the sort of tight updraft the fire was producing. With a fire that is mostly internal, sure. It's a tricky fly, but doable. Once it goes external though - the updraft would knock you out of the sky like a hammer.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online DB

Not a hope in hell for that, with the sort of tight updraft the fire was producing. With a fire that is mostly internal, sure. It's a tricky fly, but doable. Once it goes external though - the updraft would knock you out of the sky like a hammer.

Ya, that makes sense.

Online DB

One last bump before I go to bed.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
File under CNN propaganda, response to Katrina, the Bush admin's responsibility? Really? Maybe more dangerous journalists running about.

Is Grenfell Tower Britain's Katrina?
By James Kirkup

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/opinions/grenfell-tower-britains-katrina-kirkup-opinion/index.html

Offline Smokin Joe

Especially the children. Let them wake up in a cold sweat every night for a few years.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

I think now that the mechanism of fire propagation has been recognized, an examination of firefighting tactics is in order, too. Had the firefighters been able to breach the cladding and use that updraft behind it to carry steam (from water put on the blaze) through the flue that was aiding the fire in its spread, they may have been able to slow the spread of the fire, if not stop it. It would require hitting the fire near the base with a fog, not a straight stream, and letting the air movement carry the water droplets into the space the fire was moving in. As those convert to steam (and they will) they expand tremendously and cool the fire. We used the technique on smaller structural fires, using the steam conversion to extinguish fires in walls, with great success. Those however were much smaller buildings. In this case, (and I wasn't there and hate to second guess the firefighters on scene), it might have bought some more time for residents to get out.

Part of the problem, aside from the tremendous heat, is that with the outside of the building so fully involved, there is little oxygen getting to the core of the building itself, and the fire is a cruel competitor for whatever oxygen is present in the building. Staying low to the floor is a good idea for escape because there is almost always an inch or two of breathable air down there, but when there is little oxygen and high temperatures, and people are trying to do so on steps, well, that doesn't work quite as well.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

File under CNN propaganda, response to Katrina, the Bush admin's responsibility? Really? Maybe more dangerous journalists running about.

I figured eventually they'll blame it on Brexit.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
DB wrote:
"Pretty insane. Not something I'd expect in London. India, sure."

In certain parts of London(istan), can much of distinction between those two places be draw any more...?

Offline driftdiver