Author Topic: HuffPost lays off dozens of staffers (Verizon Cleaning House)  (Read 1293 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Looks like Verizon is doing some housecleaning as they integrate AOL's businesses into their own, including cleaning up their inherited hate site.

News outlet HuffPost — previously known as the Huffington Post — laid off 39 staffers on Wednesday, a move that follows parent company AOL's acquisition by telecom giant Verizon.

The layoffs come as new editor-in-chief Lydia Polgreen is "assembling a newsroom leadership team," according to a HuffPost article reporting on the layoffs. Arianna Huffington, who founded the site in 2005 as the Huffington Post, left the outlet in August. ....

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/337839-huffington-post-lays-off-dozens-of-journalists-after-being-bought-by-verizon

Online roamer_1

Re: HuffPost lays off dozens of staffers (Verizon Cleaning House)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:21:20 am »
Was Yahoo a part of this acquisition, or is that a separate deal?

Offline ABX

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:42 am »
Was Yahoo a part of this acquisition, or is that a separate deal?

Separate. Huff was part of the AOL deal. YAHOO is just now closing. That gives them a lot of other good content sets like techcrunch, Flickr and some big finance sites.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:26:42 am »
Separate. Huff was part of the AOL deal. YAHOO is just now closing. That gives them a lot of other good content sets like techcrunch, Flickr and some big finance sites.

It's a pretty big move... Though I think Yahoo and AOL both have such a bad name anymore that I doubt they can be revived... But if they can, Verizon is suddenly a pretty big player (inet-wise).

Offline ABX

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:30:26 am »
It's a pretty big move... Though I think Yahoo and AOL both have such a bad name anymore that I doubt they can be revived... But if they can, Verizon is suddenly a pretty big player (inet-wise).

They always owned much of the key infrastructure of the Internet regarding the fiber, they are moving to own and monetize  large percentage of content too. Probably a very smart move as telecom subscription margins are getting lower and lower they need to find a way to profit off what is viewed instead.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 02:36:20 am »
They always owned much of the key infrastructure of the Internet regarding the fiber, they are moving to own and monetize  large percentage of content too. Probably a very smart move as telecom subscription margins are getting lower and lower they need to find a way to profit off what is viewed instead.

Yeah, it could be... Especially Yahoo... If they fixed the stuff that used to make Yahoo good... They could conceivably challenge google.

How I would love to see alt platforms that could go up against Google and ThemTube... Not to mention Bookface.

Yahoo ceded ground on all those fronts... And IM too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 03:15:22 am »
Yeah, it could be... Especially Yahoo... If they fixed the stuff that used to make Yahoo good... They could conceivably challenge google.

How I would love to see alt platforms that could go up against Google and ThemTube... Not to mention Bookface.

Yahoo ceded ground on all those fronts... And IM too.
Ah, IM. AOL Instant Messenger was my go-to messaging app back when I was in college, at least for my friends. (For family, they used MSN.) It was almost as if it dropped right off the map after 2008 and the whole invention of Facebook Messenger, which has never been that great because they track and save every single message you make whether you wanted to or not. AIM is still around, but it’s a shadow of what it once was, alas.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:33:11 am »
Ah, IM. AOL Instant Messenger was my go-to messaging app back when I was in college, at least for my friends. (For family, they used MSN.) It was almost as if it dropped right off the map after 2008 and the whole invention of Facebook Messenger, which has never been that great because they track and save every single message you make whether you wanted to or not. AIM is still around, but it’s a shadow of what it once was, alas.

I was on IM far longer than the fad. YIM was fair at vid conferencing, and could transmit and receive txt from cell phones. Since I was far more likely to be at a computer, it was invaluable to me. But about the time that smart phones came out, suddenly txt and IM became separated things. YIM crapped the bed on texting, and had already crapped the bed on vidchat, and things like that weird gizmo it had that would play vid to you and another at the same time...

My fallback was AOLMess, but it became problematic wrt txting cells too...
Now I do Slack, which is strictly IM, but it's app is lightweight on phones, so the whole dang fam is on it, solving the immediate problem.

But Yahoo has almost destroyed itself, almost on purpose. Even my email there is a PIA, nagging me every time I log on about how awful it is that I IMAP to email clients and nix based tablets and such. Every time I get on their site by HTML, they frustrate me to no end.

I have been on Yahoo since it was USA1.com ... If a hard core guy like me is now using gmail (and I HATE google) instead, there is something terribly wrong.

All my kids grew up using Yahooligans as a home page, but now that's crap too.

My first website was on Geocities, and that destroyed itself along with tons of content that just disappeared...

I used Yahoo Groups and Yahoo Music, which also became crap...

The management there should be discharged wholesale.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 03:44:20 am »
Ah, IM. AOL Instant Messenger was my go-to messaging app back when I was in college, at least for my friends.

When was that? Back in the 50's?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 05:35:00 am »
Used ICQ for years. Then quite doing instant messaging entirely. People want to talk to me, they can pick up the phone. If they don't have my number, I don't want to talk to them.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 06:15:10 am »
Used ICQ for years. Then quite doing instant messaging entirely. People want to talk to me, they can pick up the phone. If they don't have my number, I don't want to talk to them.

Pretty much how I feel about it too - Which is why I don't have a smart phone. But, being a computer tech, I spend a ton of time on the phone, and a ton of time at my bench - I don't mind receiving txt there... on my laptop or desktop.... Otherwise, I don't want it at all.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 10:54:36 am »
ICQ! I remember it being better than aim at least. I think I want to trillian eventually.

I've been using irc for a while now. Used to hang out in the undernet #politics room all the time. I still hang out on freenode all the time.

Online DB

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 10:57:57 am »
ICQ! I remember it being better than aim at least. I think I want to trillian eventually.

I've been using irc for a while now. Used to hang out in the undernet #politics room all the time. I still hang out on freenode all the time.

I thought AIM was a virus.