Author Topic: BREAKING! Congressman Steve Scalise, Aides shot at baseball practice  (Read 41354 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: BREAKING! Congressman Steve Scalise, Aides shot at baseball practice
« Reply #775 on: June 15, 2017, 05:37:28 pm »
Isn't that already in the Constitution?
:thumbsup:

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #776 on: June 15, 2017, 06:01:17 pm »
@mountaineer

3rd surgery in less than 24 hours is NOT good.

Actually these procedures are usually staged   The first one may have been in interventional radiology to identify where the bleeding was and to try to embolize it.  Then to the OR to control the rest of the bleeding and repair any organ damage   After that the patient will be allowed to stabilize
Before tackling less urgent things like pinning fractures and dealing with more minor injuries.  He may need several more procedures again depending on what his injuries actually are
God is still in control

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #777 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:42 pm »
Actually these procedures are usually staged   The first one may have been in interventional radiology to identify where the bleeding was and to try to embolize it.  Then to the OR to control the rest of the bleeding and repair any organ damage   After that the patient will be allowed to stabilize
Before tackling less urgent things like pinning fractures and dealing with more minor injuries.  He may need several more procedures again depending on what his injuries actually are

Good to know.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #778 on: June 15, 2017, 06:16:20 pm »

Thanks for the info!  My oldest daughter is a trauma certified RN and has said very much the same thing.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #779 on: June 15, 2017, 06:40:39 pm »

Thanks.... your expertise and explanations are very much appreciated during times like these.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #780 on: June 15, 2017, 07:04:24 pm »

Once again, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

The rest of us are just guessing what things mean.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #781 on: June 15, 2017, 07:07:59 pm »
I wasn't calling for anyone to put his or her head in the sand. Just asking for a little civility and focus while we're commenting on this thread.

For some that is an exceedingly difficult task.

Focus, people....... FOCUS!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #782 on: June 15, 2017, 07:55:13 pm »
I am firmly in the camp of state's rights.  If  a state wants to allow open carry I am fine with that.  If the state wants to ban certain types of firearms, then it's up to the citizen to vote with their feet.
I have had more than enough of executive orders.
The NRA has been standing the breech of gun control fanatics and second amendment folks.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #783 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:19 pm »
I am firmly in the camp of state's rights.  If  a state wants to allow open carry I am fine with that.  If the state wants to ban certain types of firearms, then it's up to the citizen to vote with their feet.
The NRA has been standing the breech of gun control fanatics and second amendment folks.

States rights where they don't interfere with those specific granted to the federal.   Like the 2nd amendment.   Why is it only the 2nd amendment that we allow states to split hairs on?   Why  not the 19th amendment?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #784 on: June 15, 2017, 08:40:34 pm »
:amen:   IMO, a federal rule that compels a state that doesn't choose to permit open carry to allow visitors from other states to brandish their weapons is a basic violation of state sovereignty and traditional principles of federalism.

An analogous situation would be recreational marijuana.  Just because I can go to Colorado to purchase legal pot doesn't mean I can't be arrested for pot possession if I'm caught holding the stuff back here in Pennsylvania.   Now I personally favor the legalization of weed and would support making it so in my home state.   But for the feds to compel Pennsy to recognize another state's marijuana laws would be an affront to Pennsylvania's rights as a sovereign state to control the spread of weed within its borders.   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:46:01 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #785 on: June 15, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »

The 2nd amendment is universal, applying to the states.  I would point out the wording of other amendments by comparison.  1st amendment starts with, "Congress shall make no law...".  The 2nd amendment has no such restriction on jurisdiction.  It says simply, "shall not be infringed."  That applies to the states as well as the fed.

If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #786 on: June 15, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »
:amen:   IMO, a federal rule that compels a state that doesn't choose to permit open carry to allow visitors from other states to brandish their weapons is a basic violation of state sovereignty and traditional principles of federalism.

An analogous situation would be recreational marijuana.  Just because I can go to Colorado to purchase legal pot doesn't mean I can't be arrested for pot possession if I'm caught holding the stuff back here in Pennsylvania.   Now I personally favor the legalization of weed and would support making it so in my home state.   But for the feds to compel Pennsy to recognize another state's marijuana laws would be an affront to Pennsylvania's rights as a sovereign state to control the spread of weed within its borders.   
Marijuana is not a right specifically protected by the constitution.  The RKBA is. Big difference.
God is still in control

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #787 on: June 15, 2017, 10:05:17 pm »
Marijuana is not a right specifically protected by the constitution.  The RKBA is. Big difference.

The issue is federalism.   The RKBA is not a right to open carry.  Each state can and does make that determination on its own.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

« Reply #788 on: June 15, 2017, 10:08:29 pm »
The issue is federalism.   The RKBA is not a right to open carry.  Each state can and does make that determination on its own.
Its not a right to open carry only to those willing to overlook the literal meaning of the words in the 2nd Amendment.

BTW not directed at you but I'm always amazed at those willing to ignore the actual words in the Constitution but totally accepting of constitutional 'penumbras' and 'emanations' as if they are gospel.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:12:02 pm by skeeter »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #789 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:34 pm »
The RKBA is not a right to open carry.  Each state can and does make that determination on its own.   

Yes it is, the only right not granted is to the right to openly threaten someone who is not endangering you while carrying.

Guess we are getting off subject here... so yeah, I will drop it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:19:28 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #790 on: June 15, 2017, 10:37:50 pm »
IMO, a federal rule that compels a state that doesn't choose to permit open carry to allow visitors from other states to brandish their weapons is a basic violation of state sovereignty and traditional principles of federalism.

It's amusing to note that you find that federalism does not apply to an enumerated right like the right to keep and bear arms, but you shout aloud that federalism applies to forcing something NOT enumerated (i.e.:homosexual marriage) down all of our throats, and screw the traditional principles that we were established by to force people to violate their consciences and religious exercise when it suits you.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #791 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:54 pm »

How about a person holding a valid prescription for Medical MJ from California, traveling to PA?

Similarly a person holding a valid Open Carry permit from Wyoming, travelling to PA?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #792 on: June 15, 2017, 10:56:18 pm »
It's amusing to note that you find that federalism does not apply to an enumerated right like the right to keep and bear arms, but you shout aloud that federalism applies to forcing something NOT enumerated (i.e.:homosexual marriage) down all of our throats, and screw the traditional principles that we were established by to force people to violate their consciences and religious exercise when it suits you.

What do you expect from the resident liberal?   *****rollingeyes*****
God is still in control

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #793 on: June 15, 2017, 10:57:12 pm »
How about a person holding a valid prescription for Medical MJ from California, traveling to PA?

Similarly a person holding a valid Open Carry permit from Wyoming, travelling to PA?

You shouldn't need a permit to carry   That's the problem
God is still in control

Offline endicom

« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
BOTH of those cops were black,and the one that was shot in the ankle and still continued to return fire was a female.  I am personally steamed the media hasn't been on a major push to make heroes out of both of them.

The problem may be the abuse that publicity would bring them. My guess is that they are now being cursed and threatened for protecting a Republican.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #795 on: June 15, 2017, 11:48:08 pm »

So I guess the whole 2nd Amendment thing that already exists and guarantees anyone living in any state the right to keep and bear arms means nothing to you?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline thackney

« Reply #796 on: June 15, 2017, 11:57:11 pm »

I can see the argument (but not agree) that RKBA does not include conceal carry, but open carry and bear arms is one and the same.

Which rights in the first amendment do you find appropriate for a state to require a permit, fee and background check before a citizen can perform?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #797 on: June 16, 2017, 12:29:16 am »
Isn't that already in the Constitution?

@Sanguine

No. Open carry is in the Constitution. The government,IF they are going to follow their own damn rules,can NOT keep you from carrying a gun because of the 2nd Amendment. They can keep you from hiding one on your person,though.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #798 on: June 16, 2017, 12:33:11 am »

The problem may be the abuse that publicity would bring them. My guess is that they are now being cursed and threatened for protecting a Republican.

@endicom

You may be right,but you can bet your bippy the DC PD will help protect them.

They are both genuine heroes,and their courage and devotion to duty while under fire NEEDS to be recognized by their department and by the citizens of DC. Anything less is an insult.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #799 on: June 16, 2017, 12:34:56 am »
@Sanguine

No. Open carry is in the Constitution. The government,IF they are going to follow their own damn rules,can NOT keep you from carrying a gun because of the 2nd Amendment. They can keep you from hiding one on your person,though.

I disagree   The right to keep and bear arms period.  There is no mention of how to bear (open/concealed/on the hip/over the shoulder).  The term shall not be infringed means shall not be infringed.  I'm not a fan of open carry, I don't like the attention it draws but I would not tell someone else they could not open carry
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 12:35:28 am by Mom MD »
God is still in control