Author Topic: Unelected bureaucrats are running our lives  (Read 936 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Unelected bureaucrats are running our lives
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:36:28 pm »
Unelected bureaucrats are running our lives

Glenn Harlan Reynolds, Opinion columnist Published 6:02 a.m. ET June 12, 2017 | Updated 10 hours ago

You didn’t give these clowns power. They just grabbed it.

Watching the ongoing clown show in Washington, Americans can be forgiven for asking themselves, “Why did we give this bunch of clowns so very much power over our nation and our lives?”

Well, don’t feel so bad, voters. Because you didn’t actually give them that much power. They just took it. That’s the thesis of Columbia Law Professor Philip Hamburger’s new book, The Administrative Threat, a short, punchy followup to his magisterial Is Administrative Law Unlawful? Both deal with the extraordinary — and illegitimate — power that administrative agencies have assumed in American life.

Excerpt: Much more at link https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/06/12/unelected-bureaucrats-running-our-lives-glenn-reynolds-column/102750080/
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: Unelected bureaucrats are running our lives
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 11:37:12 pm »
THIS ladies and gentlemen is THE biggest threat we face in America today!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 11:57:36 pm »
We are perhaps agreed on the nature of the problem.

But administrative agency bureaucrats did not just "grab" power.

It was given to them.

It was willfully given by Presidents who stood to politically benefit from the expansion of Executive branch power. But also, and perhaps more importantly: it was ceded by Congresses that refused to assert their Constitutional right to check such power by prescribing the scope and reach of Executive agencies via legislation. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:15 am »

It was given to them.

It was willfully given by Presidents who stood to politically benefit from the expansion of Executive branch power. But also, and perhaps more importantly: it was ceded by Congresses that refused to assert their Constitutional right to check such power by prescribing the scope and reach of Executive agencies via legislation.

Exactly right. And the electorate sat by and didn't care. Letting go of the reins and then complaining when the horses bolt is rather childish and irresponsible.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:42 am »

It was given to them.

@andy58-in-nh

I agree with every word you wrote!  I didn't write the article but thought it might provide a good vehicle for brining the issue to light.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 12:01:46 am »

It was given to them.

The agencies do effectively legislate while congress writes the checks. What could be better,eh?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 12:07:44 am »

The agencies do effectively legislate while congress writes the checks. What could be better,eh?

Saddling the taxpayers with the debt they have incurred while relying upon the votes of a dependent beneficiary class to make bureaucratic rule immune from reform.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 12:21:28 am »
My older brother is one of them. Says he hates it all. But I haven't seen him try to better himself by looking for a private sector job coming on 25 years.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 12:59:27 am »
My older brother is one of them. Says he hates it all. But I haven't seen him try to better himself by looking for a private sector job coming on 25 years.
Why would he want to? The private sector pays more poorly, offers no job security, and mandates performance.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:29:16 am »
Why would he want to? The private sector pays more poorly, offers no job security, and mandates performance.

LOL! Perhaps for a cushy federal job.  I took a 40% pay cut when I moved from private sector to government.

Why would I do that?  Partly because I wanted to serve, and I couldn't do military service.  But too often, conservatives (and I was one, myself) have some false perceptions about government jobs.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 01:52:08 am »
LOL! Perhaps for a cushy federal job.  I took a 40% pay cut when I moved from private sector to government.

Why would I do that?  Partly because I wanted to serve, and I couldn't do military service.  But too often, conservatives (and I was one, myself) have some false perceptions about government jobs.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/study-government-workers-make-78-percent-more-than-private-sector/

Have you been to the Washington, D.C. environs lately? Especially the Maryland and Virginia suburbs where government workers live. I work with their pension and defined contribution plans, and the benefits often dwarf their salaries, which are not inconsiderable.  Meanwhile, many of us in the private sector have seen our wages stagnate for twenty years or more, and job security is nonexistent. Increasingly, they are different worlds.