Author Topic: Book: White Working Class: Overcoming Class Cluelessness in America  (Read 858 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
White Working Class: Overcoming Class Cluelessness in America

By Joan C. Williams

https://books.google.com/books?id=s_AUDgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can read quite a bit here, but not the entire book. I merely heard her on the radio yesterday, and was very impressed with her take on things.

She is a professor at Bezerkley, and her main thrust is to the democrats, and how they have forfeited their chance for the group in the title.

She says 2/3 of Americans do NOT have college degrees. For this election, the GOP reached them.

It is highly insightful.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Book: White Working Class: Overcoming Class Cluelessness in America
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:34:45 pm »
This one: 
Joan C. Williams
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joan C. Williams
Joan C Williams.jpg
Born    1952 (age 64–65)
Occupation    Distinguished Professor, UC Hastings College of the Law
Title    Founding Director, the Center for WorkLife Law
Website    www.worklifelaw.org
Academic background
Education    B.A. from Yale University, M.A. from M.I.T., J.D. from Harvard Law School

Joan C. Williams is a prominent feminist legal scholar whose work focuses on issues faced by women in the workplace. She currently serves as the Founding Director at the Center for WorkLife Law. Williams is also a Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of California, Hastings School Law.[1] Williams also contributes to the Harvard Business Review blog, the Huffington Post, and the Psychology Today blog.

Contents

1 Education
    2 Women in the workplace
    3 Center for Work Life Law
    4 See also
    5 References
    6 External links

Education

Williams received her B.A. in history from Yale and, later, her master's degree in City Planning from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and her JD from Harvard Law School.[2]
Women in the workplace

The primary focus of Williams's work has been gender inequality in the workplace and the lack of women in leadership positions. She looks at how gender roles and expectations influence career success of both women and men. Her main arguments focus on the need for both men and women's roles to be redefined in order to allow for greater gender equality in the workforce.

Her 2000 book Unbending Gender: Why Family and Work Conflict and What To Do About It,[3] winner of the 2000 Gustavus Myers Outstanding Book Award, which argues that, in order for there to be equal opportunity for men and women in the workplace, the role of men also needs to be redefined. While women are looked upon traditionally as being responsible for child-rearing, housekeeping, and other such jobs, men are also stereotyped as being breadwinners who work long hours in high-paying leadership roles within organizations. She posits that, not only does the definition of what it means to be a woman need to change, but that men also need to be freed from the burden of traditional masculinity.[4]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_C._Williams

I heard her interviewed by Chris Salcedo, and she's awful.  She wouldn't know a "white working class" person if she actually ever talked to one.  She's been a prof since she was 28, and you can see her "area of study" above.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 07:50:37 pm »
This one: 
I heard her interviewed by Chris Salcedo, and she's awful.  She wouldn't know a "white working class" person if she actually ever talked to one.  She's been a prof since she was 28, and you can see her "area of study" above.

Cluelessness knows no class.

I work around Doctors and Surgeons and some of them are clueless while some of the custodial staff are pretty bright with the receptionists and techs running the whole gamut.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 08:24:45 pm »
This one: 
I believe you have displayed "contempt prior to investigation."

She is admittedly a dem.  She wrote this to try to give the dems a clue, about their problem with white working class voters, many of whom have shifted to become Republican voters.

If she is on target about this, she is on target about this; irrespective of what age she was when she became a professor, or other subjects she has held interests during her career.

I like the fact they have voted Republican, and I like knowing the reasons for the change. Of course I try to be curious, and have an open mind.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:34 pm »
I believe you have displayed "contempt prior to investigation."

She is admittedly a dem.  She wrote this to try to give the dems a clue, about their problem with white working class voters, many of whom have shifted to become Republican voters.

If she is on target about this, she is on target about this; irrespective of what age she was when she became a professor, or other subjects she has held interests during her career.

I like the fact they have voted Republican, and I like knowing the reasons for the change. Of course I try to be curious, and have an open mind.

No, not correct.  I did investigate; you did not.

You know what they say about taking open mindedness to an extreme; one's brains may fall out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:50:54 pm by Sanguine »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 08:59:33 pm »
No, not correct.  I did investigate; you did not.

You know what they say about taking open mindedness to an extreme; one's brains may fall out.

Whatever.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 09:00:33 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »

Open mindedness to the extreme is how the GOP ended up shoving conservatives out the back and handing their big tent over to the left.

They're just nationalists who love America, they're just unionists who want to protect their jobs, they're just minorities who want a better deal.....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 09:16:15 pm »
Open mindedness to the extreme is how the GOP ended up shoving conservatives out the back and handing their big tent over to the left.

They're just nationalists who love America, they're just unionists who want to protect their jobs, they're just minorities who want a better deal.....

Exactly.