Author Topic: This is why the Midwest will be the hottest retirement destination  (Read 1305 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
See ya, Florida.

Nebraska is the most attractive state for retirees, according to a recent report from LPL Financial, which looked at each U.S. state as a retirement destination. The Retirement Environment Index uses a combination of public data related to health, finance, housing, employment, education, community and quality of life indicators to evaluate and rank states based on their attractiveness to the pre-retiree cohort. The index is weighted to prioritize finances over other indicators. Financial stability and improved quality of life indicators helped push the cornhusker state to the top spot.

LPL Financial also provides a grade for each state based on their index score. Only 10% of states received an ‘A’ grade and 40% of states were given a ‘C’. Michigan saw the biggest improvement since 2015, “within the financial category, median income improved greater than the national average, cost of living declined, and the tax burden fell compared to an average increase in the tax burden across all states.” The Midwest in general is seen as one of the most desirable places for retirement. With financial indicators in line with national averages and below average housing costs, means that states in the region averaged around the 15th ranking.

Classic retirement destinations like Florida (29), the Carolinas (North Carolina 21, South Carolina 38) and Arizona (40) didn’t fare as well.

More: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-is-why-the-midwest-will-be-the-hottest-retirement-destination-2017-06-08

They sort of forgot to factor in the weather. Not that it's such a significant factor in where people retire, of course .... :smokin:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: This is why the Midwest will be the hottest retirement destination
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »
Gonna be literally hot here in Michigan in coming days with temps in the 90s.

The tide has definitely changed here in Michigan and the results are visible. You can hardly go to a city of more than 20,000 without seeing a construction crane in the skyline somewhere. I'll bet @Cyber Liberty doesn't even recognize W.A. Foote hospital anymore (Now Henry Ford Allegiance health care system)

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:10:42 pm »

The tide has definitely changed here in Michigan and the results are visible. You can hardly go to a city of more than 20,000 without seeing a construction crane in the skyline somewhere.

Hope they fight back the urge to import some musloms into these newly improving areas. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 04:15:30 pm »
If you're looking for the high life and fast living, the Midwest is generally not your gig. But, despite the boredom at times, it's a nice place to be laid back and less uptight, with more room to stretch your legs and live life with enjoyment of the simpler things, not just chasing the next stupid little elite and fashionable urban trend.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:16:38 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 04:23:17 pm »
If you're looking for the high life and fast living, the Midwest is generally not your gig. But, despite the boredom at times, it's a nice place to be laid back and less uptight, with more room to stretch your legs and live life with enjoyment of the simpler things, not just chasing the next stupid little elite and fashionable urban trend.

I like it here. My newest neighbor retired from teaching history in Texas and moved up here to spend the rest of his days.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 04:57:51 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 07:38:37 pm »
I like it here. My newest neighbor retired from teaching history in Texas and moved up here to spend the rest of his days.

It's coming back too. Before the Rust Belt days it was amazing, the embodiment of the American dream. Even smaller towns had big city amenities, but you could be in the sticks within a 15 minute drive. People were decent, life was balanced, things moved forward. We lost alot of that in the 80's.

But I've notice that way of life is slowly returning. People seem to be burnt out on both the frenetic city life and the bubba redneck schtick too. Nice, normal, and middle of the road seems to be making a bit of a return.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:38:53 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:25:03 pm »
It's coming back too. Before the Rust Belt days it was amazing, the embodiment of the American dream. Even smaller towns had big city amenities, but you could be in the sticks within a 15 minute drive. People were decent, life was balanced, things moved forward. We lost alot of that in the 80's.

But I've notice that way of life is slowly returning. People seem to be burnt out on both the frenetic city life and the bubba redneck schtick too. Nice, normal, and middle of the road seems to be making a bit of a return.

I grew up in a town of only around 300 people and have never lived in a town of more than about 1000. Where I live now is a "town" of between 75 and 100 people.

The 4th of July parade in my hometown is about 80% antique tractors and kids on horseback. Small town America does it right.

My grandmother a few years ago on the 4th before she passed (she was just pawn in great game of life)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 08:28:53 pm »
@Cripplecreek

You should do an exhibition. There's a lot of love in those pictures you take.  :patriot:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Joe Wooten

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 11:05:23 pm »
Apologize "for the size". If you want to see it smaller, go to the original URL.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 11:09:48 pm »