Author Topic: Is College Worth It? Increasing Numbers Say No..... Michael Barone  (Read 429 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Is College Worth It? Increasing Numbers Say No
Michael Barone
6/9/2017 12:01:00 AM -

"Too many people are going to college," writes my American Enterprise Institute colleague Charles Murray. That's not a response to the mob of students who attacked him and the liberal professor who had invited him to speak back in March at Middlebury College. It's the title of the third chapter in his 2008 book, "Real Education: Four Simple Truths for Bringing America's Schools Back to Reality."

Since Murray wrote those words, higher-education enrollment has in fact declined, from 20.6 million in 2011 to 19 million in 2016, according to Ohio University economists Richard Vedder and Justin Strehle, who wrote about it in The Wall Street Journal. That 8 percent drop was concentrated in community colleges and for-profit schools..

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/michaelbarone/2017/06/09/is-college-worth-it-increasing-numbers-say-no-n2338304
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
I decided to spend my college money on IT technical certifications back in the early 90's.  Did not get my associates until 2012 and I am going part time to get my bachelors but only because I have reached the point that HR will no longer look at my resume without the sheepskin.  I should point out that the degree programs are work but not education in that there are class requirements, but this is covering stuff I already know and do on a regular basis.  I feel like I have to spend $20k to keep my job. 

sigh

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Is college worth it? Depends on what you want to do.

For most non-STEM people the answer is no.