Author Topic: Scientists find human tooth inside H.L. Hunley submarine during cleanup  (Read 1146 times)

rangerrebew

Scientists find human tooth inside H.L. Hunley submarine during cleanup

By Schuyler Kropf skropf@postandcourier.com Jun 7, 2017 Updated Jun 7, 2017 (7)

If you want to know how the cleanup of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley is going, think oven cleaner.

In the simplest form of chemistry explanation, the sub is being subjected to a mixture of sodium hydroxide and a mild electrical current.

The effect is that, when combined, it gradually helps to soften some of the concrete-hard buildup of sand, mud and shells that accumulated inside the sub during the 140 years it was buried off Sullivan's Island so that it can be removed later.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/submarine-h-l-hunley-crewman-tooth-found-inside-while-cleanup/article_cb5eb8f8-4b8b-11e7-ae8f-5be3172b6240.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:28:10 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Interesting. No surprise that the crank handles had some means to prevent blisters, either, but, considering the CSS Hunley was the first submarine to sink an enemy vessel in wartime, I'm glad it is being cleaned up and conserved.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

I contributed (monetarily) to the efforts more than 15 years ago. I never thought it woukd take this long, once funded. It's great they ate doing it right.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

I contributed (monetarily) to the efforts more than 15 years ago. I never thought it woukd take this long, once funded. It's great they ate doing it right.
I agree. After decades of speculation it was just some boilers riveted together, it turns out it was a purpose built vessel, designed for stealth, to sink blockading ships. It (and the crews) earned a place in history by being the first to ever sink an enemy vessel in wartime with a submarine. Like the USS Monitor and the CSS Virginia, the CSS Hunley was a milestone in the history of naval warfare. Had the Virginia sailed the previous night, the war might have taken a different turn.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

That's pretty cool. I'm wondering if what looks like foils on the side were there for stability which could mean that at least from what I have read these subs were more sophisticated than previously thought..

Offline Smokin Joe

That's pretty cool. I'm wondering if what looks like foils on the side were there for stability which could mean that at least from what I have read these subs were more sophisticated than previously thought..
@montanajoe
http://www.charlestonillustrated.com/hunley/engine.htm

Lots of info, nice site, give 'em some clicks, you'll be glad you did!
http://www.charlestonillustrated.com/hunley/#
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:56:09 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline montanajoe

Wow

Thanks for the link 888high58888

Offline Smokin Joe

Wow

Thanks for the link 888high58888
You're welcome!

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Neat article!

I had no idea Clive Cussler funded the project that found the Hunley. He used to be one of my favorite authors.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Had the Virginia sailed the previous night, the war might have taken a different turn.

Not really. The Confederate Army was plagued by desertion. That's what happens when rich slave owners rely on the loyalty of poor farmers who need to be home feeding their families. The South was doomed from the start. Here in Virginia, we are still fighting that battle. From this weekend...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:16:33 pm by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

Not really. The Confederate Army was plagued by desertion. That's what happens when rich slave owners rely on the loyalty of poor farmers who need to be home feeding their families. The South was doomed from the start. Here in Virginia, we are still fighting that battle. From this weekend...
Poor farmer's wives were as good a field hand as their husbands, more often than not, and the majority of farms were small.

Eliminate the blockades, which were essential to the Union war effort, and the war would have changed. There was plenty of cotton, all wanted on world markets, which could have been traded for much of what the South needed, and not only for the war effort. Tobacco was also at a premium. Trade policy was part of the reason for secession in the first place.

Had the Virginia sailed that night, and sunk or forced the blockading ships to withdraw before the Monitor arrived, that blockade might have been broken, and others would have followed.

C S Lewis