Author Topic: Call me SAINT James! FBI's fired Comey uses his testimony to compare himself to medieval martyr St Thomas à Becket (and Trump to an angry king)  (Read 713 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Call me SAINT James! FBI's fired Comey uses his testimony to compare himself to medieval martyr St Thomas à Becket (and Trump to an angry king)

Fired FBI director James Comey referenced the murder of archbishop Thomas à Becket when questioned by Senator Angus King on Thursday
    Becket was Archbishop of Canterbury, England's most senior cleric, after his friend King Henry II organized his elevation in 1162
    The king thought he had an ally but Becket became his most bitter opponent, even going into exile as they feuded
    By 1170 he was back at Canterbury,  but opposing the king again and, furious, Henry said: 'Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?'
    Four knights went to Canterbury and killed Becket - making him a martyr who the Pope ordained as saint two years later

By Dailymail.com Reporter

Published: 16:16 EDT, 8 June 2017 | Updated: 16:37 EDT, 8 June 2017

James Comey quoted an angry English medieval king in the course of his bombshell testimony on President Trump - and made the archbishop whose death he caused trend on Twitter.

In the course of an exchange with Maine senator Angus King, the ex-FBI boss was asked how he took it when the president said 'I hope or I suggest' - 'Do you take that as a directive?'

Comey replied: 'Yes. It rings in my ear as, well, will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest.'

Apparently prepared for precisely that analogy, King replied: 'I was just going to quote that, in 1179, December 27th, Henry II said, who will rid me of the meddlesome priest, and the next day, he was killed.

more
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4585826/Comey-testimony-s-surprise-star-St-Thomas-Becket.html#ixzz4jRkZzFf9
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
An excellent illustration of why I just could not watch.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline BigU

• Dude
Comey paraphrasing King Henry II rings in my ear as a threat on the president's life, knowing that those words led to the meddlesome priest's death.
BigU

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Wingnut

It would only be fare that we should exile Comey to Jerusalem*

*if I remember the story correctly.