Author Topic: I helped prosecute Watergate. Comey’s statement is sufficient evidence for an obstruction of justice case.  (Read 3113 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Philip Allen Lacovara, a former U.S. deputy solicitor general in the Justice Department, served as counsel to Watergate special prosecutors Archibald Cox and Leon Jaworski.

In prepared testimony released on the eve of his appearance Thursday before the Senate Intelligence Committee, former FBI director James B. Comey placed President Trump in the gunsights of a federal criminal investigation, laying out evidence sufficient for a case of obstruction of justice......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/former-watergate-prosecutor-comey-lays-out-sufficient-evidence-for-an-obstruction-of-justice-case/2017/06/07/a12964a4-4be3-11e7-9669-250d0b15f83b_story.html?utm_term=.5c50c2f4adbc

Offline Frank Cannon

Comey's statement is garbage and everyone knows it. This guy is full of shit like the Christmas goose and he know it....

But whether a sitting president may be indicted while in office is an open question. I advised the Watergate special prosecutors (and argued to the Supreme Court in the Nixon tapes case) that the president enjoys no unique immunity from obeying criminal laws. Other Justice Department officials, however, have taken a contrary position.

So basically you are admitting you are a dumb silly person and that others told you so. Thanks for playing Phil. Now go back to obscurity where you belong.

BTW, I love how WaPo has to dig up some nobody just so they can get the Watergate tag in the headline. This is like asking a used car salesman to talk about designing a double wishbone suspension because he is in the automotive field.

Offline Frank Cannon

Looks like Phil Ladorca has been grinding his Donny Hate ax for a while....

It’s impossible not to compare today to Watergate. And our officials are falling short.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/its-impossible-not-to-compare-today-to-watergate-and-our-officials-are-falling-short/2017/05/11/9a13a40a-3670-11e7-b4ee-434b6d506b37_story.html?utm_term=.2ac8af043f3a

Actually it is possible not to compare the two Ladorca. In Watergate, people were actually indicted and went to jail prior to the Congress and Feds getting involved. Can't find anyone that is even under arrest for jack shit right now.

Offline ABX

Looks like Phil Ladorca has been grinding his Donny Hate ax for a while....

It’s impossible not to compare today to Watergate. And our officials are falling short.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/its-impossible-not-to-compare-today-to-watergate-and-our-officials-are-falling-short/2017/05/11/9a13a40a-3670-11e7-b4ee-434b6d506b37_story.html?utm_term=.2ac8af043f3a

Actually it is possible not to compare the two Ladorca. In Watergate, people were actually indicted and went to jail prior to the Congress and Feds getting involved. Can't find anyone that is even under arrest for jack shit right now.

He also isn't a fan of Obama. He was a big opponent of Obamacare and fought for churches rights against it. Example: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/opinion/the-church-and-the-birth-control-ruling.html

Not saying this means this opinion has validity, bit it shows this isn't coming from some left wing activist but from the right.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sweet Lord! After voter fraud, Fast and Furious, operation Gangwalker, Hillary's Uranium deal, and a host of other meaty things a daring prosecutor could really wsink their teeth into, NOW these termites wake up and come crawling out of the woodwork?
It has nothing whatsoever to do with justice being served, or their heads would have been brought out on chargers during the last administration.
The '60s redux dreams of relevance are strong with this bunch. Sheesh!!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline ABX

Sweet Lord! After voter fraud, Fast and Furious, operation Gangwalker, Hillary's Uranium deal, and a host of other meaty things a daring prosecutor could really wsink their teeth into, NOW these termites wake up and come crawling out of the woodwork?
It has nothing whatsoever to do with justice being served, or their heads would have been brought out on chargers during the last administration.

For what its worth,  Lacovara didn't just come out of the woodwork. See link above. He was involved in active suits against the Obama administration.

Offline Frank Cannon

He also isn't a fan of Obama. He was a big opponent of Obamacare and fought for churches rights against it. Example: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/opinion/the-church-and-the-birth-control-ruling.html

Not saying this means this opinion has validity, bit it shows this isn't coming from some left wing activist but from the right.

Like hell. He is a Left winger. He bitched years ago that the Supreme Court wasn't activist enough because they were not putting out the number of decision they did in the 70's. That's just what we need. More law making from the bench.

Offline Smokin Joe

For what its worth,  Lacovara didn't just come out of the woodwork. See link above. He was involved in active suits against the Obama administration.
Imho, there should have been special prosecutors roaming the back alleys of that lot, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

BTW, I love how WaPo has to dig up some nobody just so they can get the Watergate tag in the headline. This is like asking a used car salesman to talk about designing a double wishbone suspension because he is in the automotive field.

If they wanted to dig up a nobody used car salesman who worked on Watergate, why not Hillary?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

This guy's nuts.  I've read this statement twice, and there is absolutley no evidence of obstruction.  Maybe in his pea sized brain he is projecting or hoping..........

Comey's narrative is full of vagueness, and sums up to nothing more than a loyalty based quid pro quo, which happens almost 100% of the time in business.  I'm sure DJT has given that spiel to everyone on staff.

Now OTOH, if under questioning something specific comes up that showed that Trump used his influence to Comey to skirt past wrongdoing, then there may be something.  But at this point, there is nada there.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oceander

There is nothing in the statement that would constitute obstruction of justice.  It might be enough for an abusive prosecutor to get an indictment out of a grand jury, but that's only because grand juries are largely like mushrooms in the hands of an abusive prosecutor. 

Offline Victoria33

@AbaraXas
@Honest John

Thanks for posting this.  It is informative.  The special prosecutor is silent and doing his work.  Once his investigation is over, we will know if Trump for sure tried to stop the investigation of Flynn.  If he did, then he should be removed.  This morning, two House Democrats started the impeachment process.  That one won't go anywhere.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:22:54 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There is nothing in the statement that would constitute obstruction of justice.  It might be enough for an abusive prosecutor to get an indictment out of a grand jury, but that's only because grand juries are largely like mushrooms in the hands of an abusive prosecutor.

A prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich!  Doesn't make anyone guilty of anything!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

A prosecutor can indict a ham sandwich!  Doesn't make anyone guilty of anything!

Duh.  That's what I said, but without mentioning the ham sandwich by name.  It's what abusive prosecutors do. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am laughing my ass off this morning, as all the MSM is saying this was like Watergate.  I am old enough to well remember Watergate, and my message to you left wing MSM pukes.........   This is nothing remotely like it.

The dims and their complicit MSM lackey are going to have this blow back in their face.  And I will be loving every minute of it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:27:03 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I am laughing my ass off this morning, as all the MSM is saying this was like Watergate.  I am old enough to well remember Watergate, and my message to you left wing MSM pukes.........   This is nothing remotely like it.

The dims and their complicit MSM lackey are going to have this blow back in their face.  And I will be loving every minute of it.

A number of things occurred over the last eight years that make Watergate look like a Sunday School picnic but no one seems to give a damn about any of them!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

A number of things occurred over the last eight years that make Watergate look like a Sunday School picnic but no one seems to give a damn about any of them!
QFT

C S Lewis

Offline endicom

OT, The Rockford Files exposed how that worked in the California grand jury system. Called to testify about another party, Rockford discovered that he couldn't have a lawyer present and that he couldn't take the fifth once he answered a question from the prosecutor. The prosecutor was the only one in the room who knew the rules so he had his way.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
No one will be more responsible for the crimes of tomorrow than those who scream about the crimes of the past to distract from the crimes of today.

Offline Victoria33

No one will be more responsible for the crimes of tomorrow than those who scream about the crimes of the past to distract from the crimes of today.
@Cripplecreek
@AbaraXas

Very fine statement.  I am sick of hearing "but Obama did this...." but Hillary did this...", but Nixon did this...", "but Bush did this...", but "Bill Clinton did this...".  The president today is Trump and changing the subject to someone else, is deflecting. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:59:05 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
@Cripplecreek

Very fine statement.  I am sick of hearing "but Obama did this...." but Hillary did this...", but Nixon did this...", "but Bush did this...", but "Bill Clinton did this...".  The president today is Trump and changing the subject to someone else, is deflecting.

Selective prosecution will be the downfall of this country. If we allow the Democrats to commit crimes but prosecute Republicans, we will establish a monarchy where dissent is a jailable offense. It almost happened with Obama.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Cripplecreek
@AbaraXas

So we should just forget about all the abuses and law breaking that occurred under Obama?  I DON'T THINK SO!!!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cripplecreek

@Cripplecreek
@AbaraXas

Its cowardly and its allowing the democrats to dictate our morality.

Offline Cripplecreek

Selective prosecution will be the downfall of this country. If we allow the Democrats to commit crimes but prosecute Republicans, we will establish a monarchy where dissent is a jailable offense. It almost happened with Obama.

Those past crimes are not going to be prosecuted and we all know this. You should stop trying to select those that you know won't be prosecuted.

Offline skeeter

Watergate is the lefts crowning achievement. Overturning the election of a president regardless of political affiliation simply because he is alleged to have broken the law misses the entire point