Author Topic: The U.S. Can’t Leave the Paris Climate Deal Just Yet  (Read 772 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The U.S. Can’t Leave the Paris Climate Deal Just Yet
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
Last week, President Trump announced that the United States would withdraw from the Paris climate agreement. But it will take more than one speech to pull out: Under the rules of the deal, which the White House says it will follow, the earliest any country can leave is Nov. 4, 2020.....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/climate/trump-paris-climate-timeline.html?_r=1

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: The U.S. Can’t Leave the Paris Climate Deal Just Yet
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:49:48 pm »
Everyone is making a big deal of this, but in reality, the Paris Accord was never ratified by Congress so it was not worth, to us, the paper it was written on. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:53:46 pm »
Everyone is making a big deal of this, but in reality, the Paris Accord was never ratified by Congress so it was not worth, to us, the paper it was written on.

Exactly. Another reason Obama hated the US Constitution - pesky restrictions on his ability to obligate the entire nation to foreign treaties on his signature alone.

The fanatics at the NYT thinks we're all as stupid as their progressive disciples.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:06 pm »

That's my thought on this. There are no mechanisms in place to make anyone do jack.

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 09:02:09 pm »
They can pound sand cuz we won't be sending anyone any money now or later to fund their wealth distribution plan.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 09:07:30 pm »
agreed - it is toilet tissue.

If Obama wanted something lasting, saying it lasts until 2020 is not the same as getting the Senate to endorse.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:30:36 pm »

If Hillary was the Oval in the Office then this would be adhered to as a treaty and the Pubs in congress would do nothing more than emit some squeals of outrage.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:31:15 pm by endicom »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 10:35:57 pm »
Just watch us!

Offline the_doc

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:19:01 pm »

Exactly.  Trump messed up.  He should have said "My hands are tied."  He could have "apologized" by saying that the best legal scholars in the U.S. have bluntly informed him that, under American Constitutional Law, the U.S. cannot abide by the rules of the Accord--because Obama's commitment of the U.S. to the Accord was flagrantly illegal.  Trump could have sheepishly declared that Obama was deceiving the American people and, by extension, deceiving the whole world when he signed the treaty completely apart from the Constitutionally required approval from the United States Senate.  In other words, Trump could say, "The American President is not the legal representative of the United States under such circumstances--even if a conniving President and his co-conspirators convince you that he surely does represent the United States." 

Trump could go on to say that we now have the same problem with the Iran treaty.  He could say "My lawyers have pointed out that it is my sworn Constitutional duty to declare the treaty with Iran void--because it is obviously a grotesquely illegal agreement--and I am taking the opportunity to do so right now.  Furthermore, I have to inform the world that we are right now preparing to move against Iran if they try to retaliate against our Constitutional Republic for revoking what is obviously just a phony document, a flagrantly illegal treaty." 

(I would love it if Trump could go on to say that "This very week, we have empaneled a federal grand jury which I believe will yield criminal indictments against Obama and his co-conspirators for treason against the United States of America.")

Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 12:20:50 am »
Exactly.  Trump messed up.  He should have said "My hands are tied."  He could have "apologized" by saying that the best legal scholars in the U.S. have bluntly informed him that, under American Constitutional Law, the U.S. cannot abide by the rules of the Accord--

That just wouldn't be his style.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:18 am »
That just wouldn't be his style.

I believe that he could have followed my outline of comments sardonically when he "apologized"  and pulled it off nicely--while also launching into a diatribe against Obama and his co-conspirators and also serving notice to Iran that that deal's off, too.

Trump occasionally gets confrontational, and I think he should have been confronting Obama's asinine legacy in this case.  I personally believe Obama is the only American politician in history who is a bigger crook than the Clintons.  (Yeah, I say Obama is not even a U.S. citizen.  I say that he committed perjury at multiple levels when he took his oath of office--which under U.S. law makes every action he took as POTUS a felony.)

Offline LonestarDream

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 11:31:23 am »

We were following it and will not now.  It is dead under Trump but would have been a millstone under Hillary. We paid in a billion and rest of world nothing.

Now India and China will not be able to dump pollution and CO2 ( nothing wrong with the latter) and make us pay for it with coal and oil and gas jobs...
(?) Trump Realist    (*) Trump believer   (?) Never Trump,   Which are you ?