Author Topic: 2 Germantown [Maryland] students fatally shot night before graduation  (Read 3221 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
2 Germantown, [Maryland] students fatally shot night before graduation

WASHINGTON — Detectives in Montgomery County, Maryland, are investigating the shooting deaths of two Germantown students. They were found dead in the Montgomery Village area Monday night on the eve of their graduation.

Police said they received a 911 call from someone who reported hearing gunshots in the 8200 block of Gallery Court, just south of East Village Avenue, around 10:45 p.m. Monday.

When officers arrived at the scene, they discovered two bodies inside a Honda Civic. Police are treating the deaths as a double homicide.

On Tuesday morning, police identified the victims as Shadi Adi Najjar, 17, of Breezedale Lane in Germantown, and Artem S. Ziberov, 18, of Flag Harbor Drive in Germantown. They were slated to don their caps and gowns Tuesday, school officials told WTOP.

Northwest High School Principal Jimmy D’Andrea addressed both deaths during graduation, as well as the death of a third student, Nigel Hendrickson, who died in January.

“We have heavy hearts,” D’Andrea said to the gathered students before asking for a moment of silence.

“I know all three of these gentlemen would want us to move forward today and celebrate,” he continued afterward. “I knew Nigel this year, and I had the honor of being Artem’s and Shadi’s principal both in middle school and again now.

“In fact, when I spoke to Artem’s mother this morning, while extremely upset, her words to me were, and I quote, ‘I hope everyone has a great celebration today.’ So let’s honor the memory of these three gentlemen by celebrating the accomplishments of this wonderful class.”

D’Andrea invited Hendrickson’s mother, Esther Hendrickson, to the stage to accept her son’s diploma on his behalf. He told the crowd at Constitution Hall that he would be delivering Najjar and Ziberov’s diplomas to their respective families.

The Northwest High School principal’s graduation comments come after a letter he sent to families earlier in the day.

“For those of you who knew Artem and Shadi, we ask that you remember and celebrate them. They were both excellent students who had a positive impact on those around them, and they will be greatly missed,” D’Andrea wrote.

D’Andrea also noted that there would be a support team of counselors at DAR Constitution Hall during the graduation ceremonies and at the school on Wednesday.

“It’s very sad,” said Eric Boyd, a Northwest alum and Prince George’s County middle school teacher from Silver Spring who was at Tuesday’s ceremony for his nephew. “And honestly, being a teacher, I’ve experienced some of this with my students. I know how other teachers are feeling, plus the parents. … It’s a heinous crime, honestly.”

He offered his condolences to both families and to anyone mourning the loss of Najjar and Ziberov.

Rayah Kaikai, parent of a Northwest 2017 grad and registered nurse, echoed Boyd’s sentiments and told WTOP that she thinks more gun control is needed.

“Over here, people have very easy access to guns. I lived in Europe for some time and … guns [are] very rare to see on the streets,” she told WTOP.

Artem Ziberov was an active member of Boy Scout Troop 489. His former scoutmaster, Karl Moline, told WTOP in an email that Ziberov was “an outstanding young man, always cheerful and ready to help.”

“While he was generally pretty reserved, he had a great sense of humor and enjoyed being around his fellow scouts and the Troop’s adult leaders. Troop 489’s leaders and families are all devastated by the loss of Artem, and extend our deepest sympathies to his family,” Moline wrote.

Detectives urge anyone who may have information to contact the Major Crimes Division at 240-773-5070. For those who wish to remain anonymous, Crime Solvers of Montgomery County is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for any information that leads to arrests. Submit a tip to Montgomery County Crime Solvers on their website. Tipsters can also call Crime Solvers of Montgomery County toll-free at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477).

http://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2017/06/14122261/slide/1/
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

My general contractor for over 20 years, Shadi was his only son and child.

Straight A honor student.   Was his parents' entire life and reason get up in the morning.

In total shock...

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DCPatriot

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 09:18:06 pm by DCPatriot »

Wingnut

Not to take away from the loss DC   but "they" just couldn't resist touching on the liberal narrative.

Rayah Kaikai, parent of a Northwest 2017 grad and registered nurse, echoed Boyd’s sentiments and told WTOP that she thinks more gun control is needed.

“Over here, people have very easy access to guns. I lived in Europe for some time and … guns [are] very rare to see on the streets,” she told WTOP.

Offline Suppressed

A bunch of bullets pumped into them, in a cul-de-sac 7 miles from where they lived.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Wingnut

22 shots fired into a parked but running car.   WTF was it?  Terrorist attack? Robbery? Gang fight? Disgruntled employee? Execution?   Looks like the cops have video of the shooting from a house cam

Offline DCPatriot

I'm first wondering if the driver had cut someone off and they were 'chased' into the cul-de-sac.

Then I thought perhaps it was a drug buy gone wrong....since they were to graduate today and wanted to celebrate.

But Adi's son never did drugs.  Was straight A honor roll and was accepted to college where he planned on going to medical school.

22 shots.....   @Wingnut   where did you see that/hear that.

reason I'm asking is that somebody said they heard ONE gunshot at 10:45PM.....and I told him in a facebook PM that my source in the Police Department Media Center told me that the parents should not view the body.

Strange.....they would NOT allow the parents to see him until AFTER the autopsy.

I'm wondering if that is because she recently had a mini-stroke and he had a heart attack about 12 years ago from taking Xeralto.

Offline DCPatriot

A bunch of bullets pumped into them, in a cul-de-sac 7 miles from where they lived.

Yes....at first I thought they might have dropped a friend off there, since a mosque is less than a mile away.  (Ramadan)

But their mosque is in Germantown, less than a mile from his house.

I understand they interviewed Adi on the local television station, but I  haven't seen it.

Offline DCPatriot

http://www.facebook.com/nbcwashington/videos/10155531403358606/?autoplay_reason=all_page_organic_allowed&video_container_type=0&video_creator_product_type=2&app_id=2392950137&live_video_guests=0

Interview with father, Adi Najjar, my Friend for over 35 years.

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Wingnut

Re: 2 Germantown [Maryland] students fatally shot night before graduation
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 10:11:10 pm »
@DCPatriot   I can't find the articular that gave the number now.    But I did find references to
Cops found the two teens riddled with bullets inside a parked Honda Civic, where they were pronounced dead at the scene.
https://1london.net/two-maryland-teens-shot-dead-the-night-before-graduation/

There is audio here and you can count the gunshots.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/double-homicide-in-montgomery-county/2017/06/06/858d1514-4aa4-11e7-bc1b-fddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.c366afd262bb#comments

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 10:18:15 pm »
@DCPatriot   I can't find the articular that gave the number now.    But I did find references to https://1london.net/two-maryland-teens-shot-dead-the-night-before-graduation/

There is audio here and you can count the gunshots.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/double-homicide-in-montgomery-county/2017/06/06/858d1514-4aa4-11e7-bc1b-fddbd8359dee_story.html?utm_term=.c366afd262bb#comments

Yes....I saw the numbered evidence markers on the pavement around the car.  Probably shell casings.

Saw #19......that's why I asked.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 10:48:08 pm »
Sorry to hear about your friends @DCPatriot    **nononono*

I hope the police figure out who did it and why.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:07 pm »

Ditto.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:05 pm »

Thanks, @Right_in_Virginia

I hope so too!   Just read that Shadi was in the driver's seat.

....didn't know that 17 yr olds could drive at night without an adult in the car.   Of course, the friend was 18.

If I told you how many times I tried to get him to move....but he lived below his means and lived for his son.

Offline DCPatriot

Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 02:54:11 pm »
@DCPatriot   ANy updates on motives or suspects yet?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 03:08:46 pm »
@DCPatriot   ANy updates on motives or suspects yet?

Nothing I'm aware of....

Christina Najjar is the mom's name on FB.    She's posting all kinds of shocking...to me at least....posts about the burial.

....showing Shadi's father actually placing/holding, embracing the swaddled body at the bottom of the grave...with no cement liner.

I'm puzzled, because my Jewish partner said that that is illegal in Maryland....to set the body in the ground not in a sealed vault of sorts.

The funeral of the other boy was yesterday.

Wingnut

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 03:14:41 pm »
I looked it up DC

1. Does Maryland law require the use of a vault for a burial?
No, Maryland law does not require the use of a vault for burial. However, since the use of a vault helps to preserve the integrity of the grave site by retarding subsidence, a cemetery has the option of requiring the use of a vault for interments. Most cemeteries in Maryland, absent different religious traditions, require a vault or outer burial container.

Wingnut

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »
Also, and I found this unusual for a state that regulates every aspect of your life when you are above room temp.

There is no Maryland law that states you MUST have your loved one embalmed, however, some funeral homes DO adopt policies that require a body to be embalmed if an open casket visitation or service is being held.
Jul 27, 2016

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 03:21:18 pm »
@Wingnut

Thanks, buddy!   They would have put him underground a day earlier if not for the autopsy, etc..

22 shots were fired....point blank.   

Very concerned for the health and well-being of both parents.

Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 03:25:23 pm »
No Prob.
 ^-^

So it was 22 shots after-all.   So the ME had to carve up the kid to make sure he didn't die of natural causes?

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 03:29:28 pm »
No Prob.
 ^-^

So it was 22 shots after-all.   So the ME had to carve up the kid to make sure he didn't die of natural causes?

Probably to see what caliber bullets were involved....if they're all the same.

The audio still haunts me.   Especially the little delay at the end, before the last 6-7 shots.   Coup de grace?

No wonder the police strongly suggested they not see the body.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 03:41:11 pm »
Sounds like a possible drug deal gone bad.