Author Topic: A Graduate’s Perspective: Thought Police Are Undermining Higher Education  (Read 268 times)

rangerrebew

A Graduate’s Perspective: Thought Police Are Undermining Higher Education
May 29, 2017 Frank Pray

During my time at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where I graduated this spring, many of my peers and professors seemed to genuinely care about the free exchange of ideas, students were often pushed to explore all sides of an issue, and analysis of factual evidence was usually a key goal of any discussion. But I also experienced the opposite—intellectual intolerance spurred on by ideologically rigid students and similarly dogmatic faculty members.

Whereas good professors of all ideological stripes push students to examine the best arguments on each side of an issue, others sometimes function as thought police, telling students what to believe and presenting the best arguments for their views while dismissing counterarguments and other ways of thinking. In my case, that kind of intolerance was compounded by my presence on campus as an “out” conservative—I served as chairman of the College Republicans, editor of the Carolina Review (our campus conservative journal), and did not hide my Catholicism.

https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2017/05/graduates-perspective-higher-education/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:01:00 pm by rangerrebew »