Author Topic: How the 1967 War changed armed conflict in the Middle East  (Read 311 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How the 1967 War changed armed conflict in the Middle East
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:56:57 am »
How the 1967 War changed armed conflict in the Middle East
Christopher Meserole   Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Markaz
    More

50 Years: Legacies of the 1967 WarThe 1967 War is rightly known, above all, for its political impact. Six days of fighting left the region’s map redrawn, its balance of power fundamentally altered, and its ascendant ideology—the secular nationalism of Gamal Abdel Nasser—in tatters. The Middle East would never be the same.

Yet the war didn’t just change the region’s politics. For Israel and its neighbors, the war also shifted the nature of armed conflict, too.

The war set in motion three shifts in particular.

First, Israel’s victory in 1967 began a shift away from interstate warfare. For two decades, from the 1948-1949 war on, Israel’s neighbors had sought to lay waste to the nascent Jewish state in the heart of the region. Israel’s victory in 1967 did not put an end to that goal, but the decisiveness of Israel’s victory—coupled with its successful recovery in the 1973 War—did prevent further efforts to achieve it.

Continued: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/markaz/2017/05/30/how-the-1967-war-changed-armed-conflict-in-the-middle-east/

A lot of articles on this today, we must be at the 50th anniversary.

Offline Suppressed

Re: How the 1967 War changed armed conflict in the Middle East
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 02:36:04 am »
A lot of articles on this today, we must be at the 50th anniversary.

@TomSea
50 years ago, a couple of hours from now, 12:45 EDT on June 5, Israel launched Operation Focus -- an air strike on Egypt's airfields, thus beginning the Six-Day War.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:02 am »
Thank you for your response.

Not just a few articles were not friendly to Israel, which included one article from Mondoweiss, it was thought provoking but then, the website itself looks to be some sort of anti-Israel website. I had heard of Mondoweiss before.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:33:47 am »
Thank you for your response.

Not just a few articles were not friendly to Israel, which included one article from Mondoweiss, it was thought provoking but then, the website itself looks to be some sort of anti-Israel website. I had heard of Mondoweiss before.

It's run by liberal, anti-Israel Jews.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn