Author Topic: Maher, Griffin, Colbert: Anti-Trump comedians are having a really bad moment  (Read 921 times)

Wingnut

Typical wapo.  No condemnation just an explanation.

By Callum Borchers June 3 at 10:48 AM

A racial slur. A homophobic joke. A mock beheading.

Anti-Trump comedians are having a moment — and not the good kind.

Bill Maher used the n-word in a Friday-night interview with Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), joining Kathy Griffin and Stephen Colbert on Over-the-Line Mount Rushmore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/06/03/maher-griffin-colbert-anti-trump-comedians-are-having-a-really-bad-moment/

Offline dfwgator

What about all the anti-Obama comedians?

Oh wait, there weren't any.

Offline goatprairie

What about all the anti-Obama comedians?

Oh wait, there weren't any.
The funniest thing I heard from lib comedians during Obama's Reign of  Terror was that there was nothing about Obama to criticize or make fun of.   I don't know if I laughed more or puked more when I heard them say that.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I read Bill Maher may be cancelled.

His career is on the bubble
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline andy58-in-nh

Comic insults are funny only when the comedian issues them in a spirit of fun. Think: Don Rickles. Otherwise, such words are merely the gratuitous expression of hatred.

Witty critiques are another thing entirely, but I see little or none of that amongst today's comedic media cosmopolitans, none of whom remind anyone of Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker, or Noel Coward.     
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Wingnut

Witty critiques are another thing entirely, but I see little or none of that amongst today's comedic media cosmopolitans, none of whom remind anyone of Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker, or Noel Coward.   

Amen.  No talent hacks compared to when insults took brains and wit.

I am fairly unrepentant about her poetry. I really think that three quarters of it is gibberish. However, I must crush down these thoughts, otherwise the dove of peace will shit on me.
- - - Noel Coward (about Dame Edith Sitwell)

She looks like something that would eat its young.
- - - Dorothy Parker (about Dame Edith Evans)

She must use Novocain lipstick.
- - - Jack Paar (about Dorothy Kilgallen)

If I found her floating in my pool, I'd punish my dog.
- - - Joan Rivers (about Yoko Ono)

A cross between an aardvark and an albino rat.
- - - John Simon (about Barbra Streisand)

Offline dfwgator

I am fairly unrepentant about her poetry. I really think that three quarters of it is gibberish. However, I must crush down these thoughts, otherwise the dove of peace will shit on me.

Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

Offline andy58-in-nh

@Wingnut
@dfwgator

It all comes down to the culture, guys, but you already know that.

Ours is a rather sick patient, for which its self-appointed doctors continue to prescribe arsenic.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Frank Cannon

These dopes are finding out that the Trump Derangement they live with in their Leftist bubbles doesn't translate out into the country. Stuff they thought would generally be accepted by the public is being condemned.

Offline andy58-in-nh

These dopes are finding out that the Trump Derangement they live with in their Leftist bubbles doesn't translate out into the country. Stuff they thought would generally be accepted by the public is being condemned.

That is what happens when you live in a place with the intellectual diversity of Pyongyang, because you enjoy the morphine drip of its culture and the tranquilizing comfort of social conformity.

And here's the real punch line: they think they're edgy and radical.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
They never were funny to begin with.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
I must crush down these thoughts, otherwise the dove of peace will shit on me.

Have to remember that one, that's funny.

Offline Suppressed

A man so obnoxious that karma may see him reincarnated as himself. -- Frankie Boyle (about Donald Trump)

She bought a cook book the other day called 'Cheap and Easy Vegetarian Cooking'. Which is perfect for her, because not only is she vegetarian... -- Jimmy Carr (about his girlfriend :-)
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The funniest thing I heard from lib comedians during Obama's Reign of  Terror was that there was nothing about Obama to criticize or make fun of.   I don't know if I laughed more or puked more when I heard them say that.
As a guy who's dabbled in comedy I can safely say that there was very little funny about that very sinister man.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

As a guy who's dabbled in comedy I can safely say that there was very little funny about that very sinister man.
They made fun of Hitler...."Der Fuhrer's Face"...... there was certainly plenty of things about Comrade Obama to make fun of.

Wingnut

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
They made fun of Hitler...."Der Fuhrer's Face"...... there was certainly plenty of things about Comrade Obama to make fun of.

Bugs Bunny and crew made fun out of Hitler too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️