Author Topic: The appetite genes: Why some of us are born to eat too much  (Read 601 times)

rangerrebew

31 May 2017
The appetite genes: Why some of us are born to eat too much

By Elie Dolgin

YOU’VE just finished an indulgent meal, the plates have been cleared and you sit back in your seat, stuffed. You couldn’t possibly manage another bite. But then it turns out they have sticky toffee pudding, your favourite dessert. Oh go on then, you can make room.

We all succumb to temptation. And it’s no secret that people have big differences in appetite – some eat like birds, others like horses. But only some of these differences reflect our energy needs.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23431281-600-the-appetite-genes-why-some-of-us-are-born-to-eat-too-much/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:29:13 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: The appetite genes: Why some of us are born to eat too much
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:30:04 pm »
I believe there are multiple types of satiety responsiveness, too.  Some is to remove hunger pangs, some to trigger dopamine, etc. I'm not paying $22 to see whether they discuss that, though... :-/
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn