Author Topic: A Volcanic Trigger for Earth’s First Mass Extinction?  (Read 867 times)

rangerrebew

A Volcanic Trigger for Earth’s First Mass Extinction?
« on: June 01, 2017, 12:15:23 pm »

By Lucas Joel 30 May 2017

Five major mass extinctions punctuate the history of life on Earth. The first is the Late Ordovician mass extinction, which began about 445 million years ago, triggered by a severe ice age and subsequent global warming that exterminated more than 85% of all marine species. Why the ice age that sparked the event was so drastic, however, is not clear. Recent research has suggested that large-scale volcanism before and during the extinction may be to blame, but evidence for volcanism has remained scant—until now. In a new study, researchers report the discovery of rock layers formed about the time of the extinction that are rich in the chemical element mercury, which they say is a telltale sign of volcanic activity.

https://eos.org/articles/a-volcanic-trigger-for-earths-first-mass-extinction
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:15:59 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Re: A Volcanic Trigger for Earth’s First Mass Extinction?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:02:55 pm »

By Lucas Joel 30 May 2017

Five major mass extinctions punctuate the history of life on Earth. The first is the Late Ordovician mass extinction, which began about 445 million years ago, triggered by a severe ice age and subsequent global warming that exterminated more than 85% of all marine species. Why the ice age that sparked the event was so drastic, however, is not clear. Recent research has suggested that large-scale volcanism before and during the extinction may be to blame, but evidence for volcanism has remained scant—until now. In a new study, researchers report the discovery of rock layers formed about the time of the extinction that are rich in the chemical element mercury, which they say is a telltale sign of volcanic activity.

https://eos.org/articles/a-volcanic-trigger-for-earths-first-mass-extinction

This opens the door for a lot of graduate-student projects, measuring mercury at the O-S boundary around the world.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:18:10 pm »
This opens the door for a lot of graduate-student projects, measuring mercury at the O-S boundary around the world.
And looking for mixed layer clays in the insoluble residues from marine carbonates.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 02:52:04 pm »
And looking for mixed layer clays in the insoluble residues from marine carbonates.

Yup
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn