Author Topic: Detroit has $63M surplus, deficit free two years in a row  (Read 976 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Detroit has $63M surplus, deficit free two years in a row
« on: June 01, 2017, 07:17:24 am »
Detroit — The city of Detroit ended the 2016 fiscal year with a $63 million surplus, marking its second consecutive balanced budget out of bankruptcy, an achievement officials hope will earn it better standing in the bond markets and a path out of financial oversight.

The city’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, publicly released Wednesday, also shows that for the first time in more than a decade, the city didn’t have any costs scrutinized for its federal grant use. The city filed the annual review of its finances with the state Treasury Department on Tuesday.

Detroit Chief Financial Officer John Hill said the fiscal surplus for 2016 was about $22 million higher than the city projected, which he attributes to improved financial controls, stronger-than-anticipated revenues and lower costs due to unfilled vacancies.

“We are operating in a very fiscally responsible way that we believe will have a lot of positive implications on the future,” Hill told The News.

The city must have three consecutive years of deficit-free budgets to exit oversight by the Financial Review Commission under terms of Detroit’s exit from municipal bankruptcy protection in 2014.

More: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/05/31/detroit-surplus/102332670/

Waddaya know. Dems can stick to a budget if they are threatened enough.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Suppressed

Re: Detroit has $63M surplus, deficit free two years in a row
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 12:43:17 pm »
To be fair, it's a lot easier to meet a budget when you're no longer having to may payments on debt erased by bankruptcy.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:49:48 pm »
To be fair, it's a lot easier to meet a budget when you're no longer having to may payments on debt erased by bankruptcy.

It also helps that they have big time private money flowing in now as well. In just a few years all those empty buildings downtown have filled up and new ones are being built.

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 01:01:37 pm »
Drunken sailor spending commences in 5, 4, 3,...
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 01:08:37 pm »
I was in Detroit on Easter Sunday this year.

The foundations and parking garage of Dan Gilbert's new building.

Downtown at about 9 PM on Easter Sunday.

This alley backing upscale bars and store is kind of cool because local artists have been allowed to come in and decorate and its become kind of an out door mall. 

A lot of it is modern art that doesn't interest me but some of it is quite good.

These guys were working on a mural of Miguel Cabrera.

Belle Isle was seized by the state and made into a state park and is also looking pretty good. I'd love to get over there for the Indy Dual races sometime.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 04:01:58 pm »
Thank you @Cripplecreek   :beer:

Me, I'm glad - Detroit always was a bit of a special place.For a time it was the heart of the American Dream. It's nice to see it recovering, slow though the recovery is.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:11:43 pm »
Thank you @Cripplecreek   :beer:

Me, I'm glad - Detroit always was a bit of a special place.For a time it was the heart of the American Dream. It's nice to see it recovering, slow though the recovery is.

Tech and millennials are driving it.

Detroit is also the only city in the country with all four major league sports teams within walking distance of each other. (Not to mention the Indy Racing league on Belle Isle)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 01:01:17 am »
Being a fiscally-responsible hellhole won't make Detroit any less of a hellhole...