Author Topic: How Many Weapons Do You Carry?  (Read 10464 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
How Many Weapons Do You Carry?
« on: May 30, 2017, 10:06:35 pm »
What do you really want to know about concealed carry?

I apologize if I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking that everyone reading this column has the same level of interest in concealed carry as I do. I’ve been doing this for a long time. When I say that, I mean not only have I been carrying a gun for a long time, but I have also been studying, reading about and training to improve my skills every single day. It’s easy to do when it is part of your job. As a result, I sometimes slip into that place where I’m just talking away about recoil spring tension, active or passive weapon retention or muzzle velocity and bullet grain weight and forget that not everyone knows or cares about those nuances of concealed carry. So, let’s get back to the basics for a minute.

What do you need and when can you use it?

For effective concealed carry, you NEED — I mean really need — a couple things. First up is a gun, of course. But what kind of gun is best? If you are working with a firearms trainer who says you must have a Glock or you must have a 1911 or you must have a revolver, please walk away from that person and seek competent instruction.

What you must have is a reliable handgun that is comfortable in your hand and is of a size and weight that allows you to carry it comfortably all day, every day. Finding such a gun is a matter of trial and error. We at Concealed Carry Magazine can guide you with accurate and objective information about different firearms, but we cannot and will not tell you what you must have. Do some research, then go to a gun store or gun show and put your hands on several different guns. See which one feels just right in your hand. When you find something that feels right, go to a range that allows you to rent handguns and try that gun and a few different guns to see how they feel as you fire them.

If you find one you like, stick with it. But keep trying others. If you find one you like better, sell the first gun and buy a different gun. The, make, model and caliber doesn’t matter so much. What matters is that you are comfortable carrying and shooting the gun and that it goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

You will also need a holster. Please do not carry your gun without a holster. Your holster should securely hold your gun in place and cover the trigger and trigger guard to keep anything from getting in there. Even if you choose off-body carry, like a purse or briefcase, please buy a holster that holds your gun securely inside your chosen mechanism of carry.

Next up is ammo. For self-defense, buy hollow-point ammo from a reputable source. You are not buying hollow-points to “do more damage.” You are buying hollow-points to reduce the chance of pass-through shots. So, in reality, you are choosing ammo that does less damage, because you are only damaging the bad guy you are shooting at — not anything else if the bullet happens to pass through the bad guy. We will, of course, talk more about target isolation as it applies to defensive shooting, but know right now that you want to keep all your bullets inside the bad guy and hollow-points work best for that.

So there you have it: the true basics of a concealed carry kit. These tools, combined with good training and a proper mindset, will get you started.

Concealed carry is complicated enough; let’s start by keeping it simple and then move deeper into the weeds as you get more comfortable carrying your gun every day.

Stay safe. Train hard.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/many-weapons-carry/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: How Many Weapons Do You Carry?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:46 pm »
Not including the weapons permanently attached to me?

Enough. I carry enough.  :tongue2:

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:52 pm »
Exactly.  I carry what I think I need to carry.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 11:31:02 pm »
At the same time?  Only 2.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:32:51 pm »
Legally only?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 11:37:45 pm »
Gibbs' rule no. 9. Always, usually two or three.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 12:16:14 am »
Hold on now... Are we only talking guns here?

'Weapons' is a fairly broad category.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:33:18 am »
Hold on now... Are we only talking guns here?

'Weapons' is a fairly broad category.

I counted one of my 2 carry knives as a weapon, as well as my handgun. I didn't count my pocket knife.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 12:34:14 am »
Sorry, my entire arsenal fell into the Toledo Bend Reservoir on September 9,2010.

Freak accident.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 12:39:37 am »
I counted one of my 2 carry knives as a weapon, as well as my handgun. I didn't count my pocket knife.

So big folders on up through straight blades? EDC?

Then 4, I suppose, depending on if a multitool is considered... 6 in the winter.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 12:50:45 am »
So big folders on up through straight blades? EDC?

Then 4, I suppose, depending on if a multitool is considered... 6 in the winter.

A multitool could be used, but I wouldn't count it. That would open it up to scissors, Kleins, and hammers and such.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 12:52:20 am »
None of your damned business.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 12:53:50 am »
Not including the weapons permanently attached to me?

Enough. I carry enough.  :tongue2:

The exact right amount if you ask me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 12:55:58 am »
 :silly: This is timely! The texts with my husband last night (he was on shift):

Me: OMG! Kimber just came out with a rose gold .380!

Husband: How much?

Me: You can't put a price on your family's safety.

Husband: Yes I can. How much?

Me: You can't put a price on love.

Husband: Yes I can. How much?

Me: You can't put a price on the fact that every single time you've suggested a gun and/or ammo purchase I've told you yes and reminded you that you never even need to discuss those purchases with me.

:silly: :silly: :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 12:57:57 am »
A multitool could be used, but I wouldn't count it. That would open it up to scissors, Kleins, and hammers and such.

Well, if I am wearing my nail bags, or my go bag, that's a whole nuther story.

Kleins... LOL!... Carpenter, or electrician?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:40 am »
Electrician

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 01:00:42 am »
Well, if I am wearing my nail bags, or my go bag, that's a whole nuther story.

Kleins... LOL!... Carpenter, or electrician?
One of those fencing pliers designed to pull staples could make a mark ajax wouldn't take off....I know you know the type.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 01:04:54 am »

I only wish I had a woman that wanted a .380... rose gold or otherwise...
All mine seemed to like shiny rocks for some reason...  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 01:08:41 am »
One of those fencing pliers designed to pull staples could make a mark ajax wouldn't take off....I know you know the type.

Oh yeah... I know all about fencing pliers...

Kleins around here tend to be gigantic lineman's pliers... 'Throw me your Kleins' is understood by Carpenters mostly, and electricians (but not plumbers)... Go figger...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 01:09:58 am »

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 01:10:38 am »
If I'm wearing my old nail bag it'll have my sheetrock hammer hanging on it. Then Look Out! I actually got fired once for besting my boss throwing hole saws for money.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 01:12:12 am »

Get 'em really big ones. They work, too. (Cain smote Abel with a.....rock!)

I have quite a few I have brought in from the cold and tamed. I have to keep them away from where I generally sit to watch teevee, though or they might sense my aggravation and attack it.

C S Lewis

Offline Old Warrior in Exile

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 01:22:08 am »
I lost them all in a boating accident.
Barba non facit philosophum.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 01:26:39 am »
I lost them all in a boating accident.

About where? Just curious. I know several of my ex commercial diver buddies would enjoy the challenge of the hunt.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:27:03 am »

Oh I like my bling, too. Our kids, eight, five, and three, never had formula. I'm trying to parlay that savings into diamond earrings. Going with the price of organic formula, I could get a karat on each ear, easy.  :silly: :silly: :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.