Author Topic: Great white shark goes airborne, knocks over stunned fisherman  (Read 801 times)

Wingnut

Crikey!!

CBS/AP May 29, 2017, 9:53 AM
Great white shark goes airborne, knocks over stunned fisherman

CANBERRA, Australia -- A 73-year-old Australian fisherman said Monday that he caught a far bigger fish than he hoped for when a 9-foot great white shark leapt into his boat, knocking him off his feet.

Terry Selwood was left with a badly bruised and bleeding right arm where the airborne shark struck him with a pectoral fin as it landed on him on the deck of the 15-foot power boat Saturday off Evans Head, 450 miles north of Sydney.

Selwood sprung up on the gunnel at the bow of the boat to avoid the thrashing shark and steadied himself by clinging to the tubular metal frame of the sun shelter, known as a bimini.

"I didn't give it a chance to look me in the eyes. I wanted to get up and get on top of the gunnel because it was thrashing around madly," Selwood told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

"Flash Gordon wouldn't have caught me," he said, referring to the athletic science fiction comic book hero of the 1930s.

Selwood used a hand-held radio to call the Evans Head coast guard and stayed on the gunnel until a rescue boat arrived.

Coast guard skipper Bill Bates said he misread the danger when Selwood reported his predicament.

"He said, 'I'm injured, I've broken my arm, I've got lacerations and there's a shark in my boat,'" Bates said.

"Often a fisherman will bring a small shark on board - maybe 2 or 3 feet - and they're still ferocious. That's what I was expecting, but I was totally wrong," he added.

The coast guard crew rescued Selwood, but left the shark alone!

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/shark-leaps-into-boat-lands-on-fisherman-terry-selwood-australia/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:34:33 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Great white shark goes airborne, knocks over stunned fisherman
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:08:04 pm »
440 pounds!

Wingnut

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 03:16:41 pm »
"knocks over stunned fisherman"

Was he stunned before or after the great white knocked the snot out of him?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 04:15:08 pm »
I never realized the part of the boat was spelled "gunnel".
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn