Author Topic: Vice-President Mike Pence: “We Have a President Who, Without Apology, Stands for the Sanctity of Human Life”  (Read 21871 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
My objection is not with the Abrahamic God in whom Christians, Jews and Muslims all profess belief, but religious tribalism.   Throughout human history, more people have been killed in the name of religion than for any other reason.   The Islamofascists are big on that these days (and they kill far more Muslims than Christians),  but Christianity's history is bloody and tribal and bigoted as well. 

Religion is an institution of man, not God.   Spirituality and grace can, I believe, be attained without belonging to a religious tribe.   

It is beyond pathetic to drag up the ancient past.  It just does not apply to the world we live in.  Yes, there was brutality in the Old Testament and yes, Christians fought in the Crusades but only after started by Muslims running rampant over the world.

The most fervid Muslim-fearing preachers in the United States do not advocate killing Muslims or converting them by force. 

I don't know how you've been hurt by the Christian Church.  People in our church are far from perfect and we know it and are trying to love God and others. 

I hope you get the help you need.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
They [Muslims] will convert you to Islam if they have to cut off your head to do it.

They are brutal and will kill gays or infidels (when they are in charge and able to do so).  They dominate women and children completely.  They brainwash children.

They are good at seeming like nice people while infiltrating and then turning back to their true beliefs.

People in our church are far from perfect and we know it and are trying to love God and others. 

I say you're full of crap.   Just read what you wrote - abject bigotry followed by your smiley-faced plea that you're "trying to love God and others". 

If you're a Christian than follow the teachings of Christ.   Love, not hate.   That's what the Man said.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I say you're full of crap.   Just read what you wrote - abject bigotry followed by your smiley-faced plea that you're "trying to love God and others". 

If you're a Christian than follow the teachings of Christ.   Love, not hate.   That's what the Man said.

It is so revealing to witness the willfully dismissive and Apologetic displays for Islam's actual tenets and behaviors and yet at the same time engage in vicious disparagement towards any declaration of truth from the Christian perspective that they pervert into an image of their own making.

Amusing to read admonitions to 'love' when they just displayed the opposite towards the faith that they are always at war with on this board.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline MOD4

How did this thread get on the subject of Islam vs Christianity?  Two things:  Let's get back on the original topic, and secondly stop with the personal insults.  I am not going to itemize who's doing it, you know who you are

There won't be more warnings, just opportunities to enjoy some vacation time, on me.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The Islamofascists are big on that these days (and they kill far more Muslims than Christians), 
There is not a single day since Islam was founded that Islam has not been killing.  'These days' just means there is more information now on these atrocities than previously

but Christianity's history is bloody and tribal and bigoted as well. 
So how many times since you were born have you seen a Christian terrorist, especially one shouting 'God is Great' while on the killing spree?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline DiogenesLamp

I see your argument;  That you have friends and neighbors who are Muslim,  and that you don't want to believe anything which interferes with this relationship. 

You have adopted these people into your "Tribe",   and you will brook no disrespect for them. 

Like I said,  "Tribalism"  is inherent in human nature. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It is so revealing to witness the willfully dismissive and Apologetic displays for Islam's actual tenets and behaviors and yet at the same time engage in vicious disparagement towards any declaration of truth from the Christian perspective that they pervert into an image of their own making.

Amusing to read admonitions to 'love' when they just displayed the opposite towards the faith that they are always at war with on this board.

I am not "apologizing" for Islam.   I am criticizing bigotry - in this case, directed at Islam.

Offline DiogenesLamp

How did this thread get on the subject of Islam vs Christianity? 

Because the sanctity of life is the central tenet being discussed,  and the Islamic perspective is inherently at odds with this Judeo/Christian based concept. 

Let us not forget from whence many modern ideas of "morality"  derive.    Western morality derives from Christianity.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline MOD4

Because the sanctity of life is the central tenet being discussed,  and the Islamic perspective is inherently at odds with this Judeo/Christian based concept. 

I see your point, but virtually every issue discussed on this forum can conceivably be dragged down that hole, and I'd like to see this thread move away from the tribalism that seems to have become the topic.  It's leading to personal insults.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
How did this thread get on the subject of Islam vs Christianity? 

See roamer's post #198.   He responded to my support for family planning and contraceptives (as a means to reduce abortion) by suggesting that the use of family planning means we'll all be bowing to Mecca soon (because, as Emjay helpfully explained,  "Muslims breed like rabbits"). 

Diogenes' post immediately above is pure tribalist nonsense.   A question for you, MOD4 - at what point in your view does anti-Muslim animus cross the line into bigotry?     
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:52:34 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Let us not forget from whence many modern ideas of "morality"  derive.    Western morality derives from Christianity.

I see your point, but virtually every issue discussed on this forum can conceivably be dragged down that hole, and I'd like to see this thread move away from the tribalism that seems to have become the topic.  It's leading to personal insults.

If discussing such central tenets to the preservation and existence of liberty itself is seen as being 'dragged down that hole', and to be avoided out of fear of personal insults, a chilling effect to discussing core issues has been achieved.

At which point there really is no point to having any kind of 'Conservative discussion' beyond simple politics, politicians and culture while the principles that maintain this Constitution are verboten.  This is how a discussion forum dies and liberalism wins.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline MOD4

See roamer's post #198.   He responded to my support for family planning and contraceptives (as a means to reduce abortion) by suggesting that the use of family planning means we'll all be bowing to Mecca soon (because, as Emjay helpfully explained,  "Muslims breed like rabbits"). 

Diogenes' post immediately above is pure tribalist nonsense.   A question for you, MOD4 - at what point in your view does anti-Muslim animus cross the line into bigotry?     

That's above my pay grade.  My task is to keep threads on topic and stop personal attacks. 

Offline MOD3

Mods don't do opinion. We do rules, with the rare act of mercy.

As a general observation, not aimed at you: If your method of arguing involves insulting the other person, you probably are not smart enough to be posting here.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I can be crude.

When my niece told me she was pregnant again three months after having a daughter, she wailed, "People will think we're breeding like rabbits!"

I comforted her.  "No, they won't ... now, relax and get back to your burrow."

Offline DiogenesLamp

Cue up censorship of "hate speech".   

You imply there is a "line"  to be crossed,   meaning a threshold at which it transitions from acceptable to unacceptable.   As with issues of morality,   these boundaries are all artificial and subjective,  meaning they are in the eye of the beholder and not universally shared among everyone...

...Which is exactly my point mentioned earlier in this thread.    "Morality"  is  not a single universal idea.   It means different things to different people,   but consensuses tends to coalesce around Religious or Philosophical thought. 

On a side note,  I don't think this thread is much longer for this world.  :)   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline MOD4

@Jazzhead Please take the next few hours to contemplate a manner to argue that doesn't involve calling people names.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I see your argument;  That you have friends and neighbors who are Muslim,  and that you don't want to believe anything which interferes with this relationship. 

You have adopted these people into your "Tribe",   and you will brook no disrespect for them. 

Like I said,  "Tribalism"  is inherent in human nature.

Hey, if anyone resents my saying that I am TRYING to love God and others .... sorry about that.  It's all I can do.

Offline musiclady

I can be crude.

When my niece told me she was pregnant again three months after having a daughter, she wailed, "People will think we're breeding like rabbits!"

I comforted her.  "No, they won't ... now, relax and get back to your burrow."

I wouldn't call that "crude."

I would attribute that to your finely tuned sarcastic wit. @Emjay .

I hope she laughed.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

I hope she laughed.  ^-^

Thank you.  I was trying to introduce a little levity into this thread which had gotten mighty dark.

Offline musiclady

Thank you.  I was trying to introduce a little levity into this thread which had gotten mighty dark.

It worked.

I laughed.  888high58888
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I laughed, too. :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist

I hope she laughed.  ^-^

Only 10 months between my sister and I.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien