Author Topic: Ultimate Guide: How to Shoot a Pistol Accurately  (Read 1595 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Ultimate Guide: How to Shoot a Pistol Accurately
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:49:15 am »
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/ultimate-guide-shoot-pistol-accurately

Want to shoot better?

Learn how to shoot more accurately with your pistol/handgun through a review of fundamentals, easy to do exercises at home, proper range practice tips, and helpful gear.
Introduction

If you’re here, you probably realize that…shooting pistols is actually pretty hard!

In the beginning of my shooting experience, I had a lot of sympathy with the Stormtroopers missing everything too.  At least they had the excuse of a stressful situation!

Now I’m not some professional competitive shooter or instructor, but take that as a positive…I still remember how it felt when I couldn’t hit anything and the differences each tip/exercise made in my development.

It’s going to take you a while, but let’s get started in making you a more accurate pistol shot beginning with fundamentals.

Good refresher info at the link.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ultimate Guide: How to Shoot a Pistol Accurately
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:11:21 am »
I was in the Navy when I got the bug to learn to shoot pistols accurately. I had a book that I followed that taught "Area Aiming"( I wish I still had it). My house was in Cantonment Fla. and we would drive to a tree farm in Ala. to shoot. We'd take paper plates and mark a circle on the plate with a black marker. Starting out the circle was the whole bottom of the plate. You would align the sights in the circle and start your squeeze. If your weave took you out of the circle, you'd hold. And when your weave brought you back into the circle you'd continue the squeeze. The idea being you'd not pull the trigger. Just squeeze. As weeks went by,  the circles got smaller and smaller and smaller. Over time my groups got smaller and smaller as my weaving of the gun got smaller.  But this training is more for the bullseye shooter. Its not really a tactical approach.  It'll teach you to be a "Dead Eye Shooter" though.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 01:31:59 pm »
I'm working on trying to improve my accuracy with my .38 special.

That little snubby is proving quite challenging.

I'm gonna check out that link before I go shoot tomorrow.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 02:45:51 pm »
For bullseye shooting, one handed.  Concentrate on gripping the gun the same every time. Your hand should squeeze the grip fore and aft. Don't squeeze the grip from the sides. Especially don't have pressure with your thumb and pinkie. Undue grip pressure will throw your rounds every time. As you age, your ability to focus on the sights gets worse. I have to use corrected shooting glasses now to have a clear sight picture. Concentrate on the lines of white so it looks identical every time. And squeeze. Try to imagine where each bullet is going to hit the target with every shot. So you can make the minor corrections. Its you that pulls the shots, not the gun. Try to know with every shot, whether you have pulled that shot, and why.

And concentrate on every shot.

Practice, practice,practice, practice,practice, practice, practice