Author Topic: Trump's proposed budget to slash entitlements by $1.7 trillion  (Read 874 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AXIOS VIA AP

URL: https://www.axios.com/scoop-trump-budget-to-slash-entitlements-by-1-7-trillion-2416931777.html

by Pablo Martinez Monsivais

President Trump's 2018 budget proposal on Tuesday won't reform Social Security or Medicare — in line with his campaign promise — but it will make serious cuts to other entitlement programs. A source with direct knowledge tells me the Trump budget will save $1.7 trillion on the mandatory side over the next ten years.

Expected reaction: In the past couple days I've spoken to a number of White House officials about the budget proposal. The best summary, from one White House source: "Conservatives will love it; moderates will probably hate it." These mandatory cuts — especially to politically-sensitive programs like food stamps — will make some moderate Republicans as nervous as the recent health care bill did.

Balanced budget: I am told Trump's budget will balance over ten years. To get there, it will propose tough cuts on both the mandatory and discretionary sides — e.g. to the EPA and State Department — and will assume that the U.S economy will grow at 3 percent instead of the 1.6 percent rate it grew in 2016. The 3 percent growth rate will be reached after a few years, not immediately.

Where the entitlement cuts are made: From programs including SNAP (food stamps), CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program), and SSDI (Disability Insurance). The budget proposal will also assume that Trump can sign into law the American Health Care Act — the Obamacare repeal and replace bill that passed the House and is now being considered by the Senate. That bill makes substantial cuts to Medicaid.

How the entitlement money will be saved: The source tells me there'll be an "emphasis on work requirements for able-bodied people" to save money on these social welfare programs.

"Good news" budget items the administration will tout:

Student loans: As the Washington Post previewed: "students currently can have the balance of their loan forgiven after paying 10 percent of their income for 20 years. Trump's proposal — which makes good on a campaign promise — would raise the maximum payment to 12.5 percent of income, but shorten the payment period to 15 years."

Pell grants: As the Post previewed: "The spending plan supports year-round Pell Grants, which allow low-income students to use the money for three semesters of college, instead of two. That way, students can take a full load of courses year-round and earn a degree faster."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:24:11 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline Hoodat

Re: Trump's proposed budget to slash entitlements by $1.7 trillion
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:32:11 pm »
the Trump budget will save $1.7 trillion on the mandatory side over the next ten years.

Totally worthless.  Democrats do this all the time, making projections for future years as if they somehow can wield control today over the 2027 budget.

Balance the budget now.  Next year, we can talk about next year's budget.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:36:20 pm »
I have a problem with describing Social Security & Medicare as entitlements seeing I paid into them my entire working life.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:43:47 pm »

Any serious minded conservative would applaud this being proposed. Reductions to social security and medicare would likely be phased in, protecting seniors that already depend on and have paid into said plans.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:33 pm »
I have a problem with describing Social Security & Medicare as entitlements seeing I paid into them my entire working life.

They are 'entitlements'.  You never paid into them.  You paid into the general fund. 

The government used part of that general fund allotment and paid out money to retirees.

Today, the government takes all of my general fund allotment under the SS banner (along with brand new money created by the FED) and pays out money - 70% to retirees, and 30% to the permanently unemployed.

Social Security is a ponzi scheme - nothing more.  It always has been a ponzi scheme.  The government has been lying to you since the 1930s.

You may 'feel entitled' to a Social Security check each month, but that money comes directly either from someone working a job or a government printing press stealing worth from anyone holding dollars.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:02:04 pm »
10-year budget plans are meaningless

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 05:04:06 pm »

Then the problem is simply that you swallowed the left-wing malarkey that was used to sell those taxes in the first place and aren't seeing clearly.  What you paid were income taxes - particularly regressive income taxes - and what gets paid is just as much a welfare entitlement as is Medicaid. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:04:59 pm by Oceander »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 05:13:12 pm »

888high58888 888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.