Author Topic: Ariens Co., a maker of lawnmowers and snowblowers, faces a bottleneck in its plans to raise production 40%. It can’t find enough workers.  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
https://www.wsj.com/articles/labor-force-stands-in-way-of-trumps-3-growth-goal-1494861153

Ariens Co., a maker of lawnmowers and snowblowers, faces a bottleneck in its plans to raise production 40%. It can’t find enough workers.

Article is here but is behind a paywall.

I found this from another forum. Anecdotally, skilled blue collar industries are facing worker shortages across the board from what I can gather.

Thoughts?

Offline Frank Cannon

They don't want to pay to train people or in some cases pay decent wages. They want to call some staffing service and expect people to just show up and weld a frame for a garden tractor. A person with those skills out of the box can find a better living hanging a shingle off their garage at home and work in the gray economy.

BTW, who the hell knew Ariens was still selling their shit products anymore? There are Wheel Horse, Gravely, David Bradley/Sears  and John Deere clubs around. Ariens......not so much.

Offline bolobaby

Uh... I have a 60" ZTR Ariens, Frank. It's a really nice piece of equipment.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline thackney

They don't want to pay to train people or in some cases pay decent wages. They want to call some staffing service and expect people to just show up and weld a frame for a garden tractor. A person with those skills out of the box can find a better living hanging a shingle off their garage at home and work in the gray economy.

BTW, who the hell knew Ariens was still selling their shit products anymore? There are Wheel Horse, Gravely, David Bradley/Sears  and John Deere clubs around. Ariens......not so much.

Gravely is made by Ariens.

https://www.ariensco.com/Products/residentialmowing
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Sad but true. You almost feel like some old union crank to say it, but that's what it boils down to anymore, Just hire temps, one day of training, and go. Preferably Guatamalans, Somalis, Syrians, or Croatians.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:59:56 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

Sad but true. You almost feel like some old union crank to say it, but that's what it boils down to anymore, Just hire temps, one day of training, and go. Preferably Guatamalans, Somalis, Syrians, or Croatians.

Reminds me of something my third-grade teacher said to us. She said, “You show me a tropical fruit and I’ll show you a bleep from Guatemala.”

geronl

They don't want to pay to train people or in some cases pay decent wages.

but they seem to have no problem training foreign replacements...

geronl

Reminds me of something my third-grade teacher said to us. She said, “You show me a tropical fruit and I’ll show you a bleep from Guatemala.”

Your third-grade teacher should have been fired. lol

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Had an Ariens self-propeled for years.

Good, solid piece of equipment, best mower I ever had.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline rodamala

Had an Ariens self-propeled for years.

Good, solid piece of equipment, best mower I ever had.

Took a 1974 Ariens Jet tiller off a guy's hands last year because he didn't know how to rewind the spring on the pullstart of the 4 horse Briggs on it.

Wound the spring, second pull and she fired up.  Nice little antique tiller I got me... and Ariens' website has scans of all the original documentation for it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Didn't go to parochial school, did you?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis