Author Topic: Meet Amazon’s first customer — this is the book he bought  (Read 1370 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Not many people spend $27.95 and get a building named after them.

John Wainwright, an Australian software engineer based in Sunnyvale, Calif., did just that. On April 3, 1995, he became Amazon’s AMZN, +0.96%   first non-company customer when he purchased “Fluid Concepts And Creative Analogies: Computer Models Of The Fundamental Mechanisms Of Thought” by Douglas Hofstadter. (It’s still available on Amazon for $33.55 hardcover or $7.80 paperback.) It was not the easiest of orders for Amazon, especially for the company’s very first book sale. “That purchase is still part of my Amazon history,” Wainwright says.

MarketWatch spoke with Wainwright about being No. 1 and how he nearly ended up working for Amazon — before the company’s 1997 initial public offering on May 15, 1997.

MarketWatch: That was quite a book. Chapter 1 is entitled “To Seek Whence Cometh a Sequence.” It doesn’t look like your average bedtime reading.

Wainwright: It wasn’t a John Grisham novel. [Grisham’s “The Rainmaker” made it to the top of the New York Times best seller list in April 1995.]

MarketWatch: I may regret asking this, but what was it about?

Wainwright: It was a work on artificial intelligence and human cognition modeling. It seemed like a reasonable way of catching up with what was going on around the 1990s. It’s a collection of articles and essays documenting research that Hofstadter and his students were doing at the time, modeling human form.

MarketWatch: Where were you when you bought the book?

Wainwright: I was a very close friend of the founding engineer of Amazon, and was working at an Apple/IBM joint venture called Kaleida Labs. Shel Kaphan [widely noted as Amazon’s first employee] worked at Kaleida Labs and in 1994 he decided to leave to work on this crazy idea of an online bookstore. We all thought he was crazy to do that. He kept me up to date on what he was doing. He sent me an email and said, ‘Create an account and order some books.’ I thought I was going to get some free books out of it. But they took my credit card and charged it!
John Wainwright
John Wainwright

MarketWatch: I can almost hear the sound of the dial-up now.

Wainwright: I used a computer T1 link at our offices in Mountain View, Calif.

MarketWatch: As job changes go, that was a smart move by Mr. Kaphan.

Wainwright: I keep in touch with him from time to time. He left Amazon with a huge fortune, a ridiculous amount of money. He runs a nonprofit called the Kaphan Foundation.

MarketWatch: Did you ever think of joining him at Amazon?

Wainwright: There were opportunities to follow Shel to Amazon prior to the IPO. Several of our colleagues at Kaleida followed him there. I went off on a different path and was happy with what I was doing and didn’t want to move my family from Silicon Valley. People often find in life that if they had just turned this way or that that they would have found themselves in a very different situation financially. I’m happy and I’m very happy for Shel and my mates and I have had a comfortable life here.

More: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/meet-amazons-first-ever-customer-2015-04-22

Just thought it were a neat bit of modern history.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

geronl

Re: Meet Amazon’s first customer — this is the book he bought
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »
If he had spent that $30 on Amazon stock at the time... (wasn't public yet, I guess)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »
If he had spent that $30 on Amazon stock at the time... (wasn't public yet, I guess)

I always wished I could go back in a time machine and buy a stock when it was dirt cheap and unknown.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Wingnut

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 09:03:15 pm »

I always wished I could go back in a time machine and buy a stock when it was dirt cheap and unknown.

Tell me about it.  I remember when eBay let its early members know it was going public and  emailed info about the ipo.  I was like... who in their right mind would pay 33 bucks a share for that?    But then I'm the same guy who choose 8-Trak over cassettes. Beta players over VHS.  and the most painful....bought a Lazer Disc Player!

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 09:07:46 pm »
My first Amazon purchase was in November 2002. I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000069F5H/. The original price was $59.94, plus $5.98 shipping. I didn't become a Prime member until a few years later (because of a technical glitch it's not showing me when I started my Prime membership, hmph.) I've been a happy customer ever since though.
Let it burn.

geronl

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:17:14 pm »
I didn't become a Prime member until a few years later (because of a technical glitch it's not showing me when I started my Prime membership, hmph.) I've been a happy customer ever since though.

The technical glitch being that Prime wasn't launched until 2005?

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:06:52 pm »
The technical glitch being that Prime wasn't launched until 2005?

No, I thought my Amazon account information would show when my Prime membership began. It was telling me that a technical issue was preventing it from displaying my full membership info, but now that the issue has apparently cleared up it still won't tell me when I signed up for Prime.

Judging by when I stopped paying for shipping, it was probably in May 2012. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:07:30 pm by Ghost Bear »
Let it burn.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:31 am »
Amazon is addictive... the free shipping (I have prime as well). I'm a tool junkie, so damn easy. I have my eyes on a Rigol oscilloscope for $400, just to have it! :P

It's so damn easy to press the purchase button, and then you know you have a present coming for you in the mail when you get home from work.

My wife will kill me. She thinks I have too many tools already.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 01:46:43 am »

You could, but you can't afford it.

Now, had you bought those stocks...
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 01:49:55 am »

If you could go back in time, just bring a bunch of gold with you so it doubles every time. Paradox and all that.

Get $20, wait 5 minutes. Go back in time 5 minutes with that $20, you got $40 and two of you!