Author Topic: Upgrade already! If you're still using Windows XP, you're a menace to society  (Read 8433 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Response to my last piece -- "Why Windows must die for the third time" -- was overwhelming. Hundreds of thousands of people read that article, and we had some very spirited talkbacks indeed.

A bunch of you came right out and said it: You don't want to upgrade from XP. You're angry that Microsoft made you upgrade from XP to 7, and 7 to 10. You're angry you need to update software continuously.

Waiting until you have a catastrophic failure or a major security event to upgrade your system is never a best practice.

A handful of you even suggested inflicting bodily harm on the hard-working programmers that write the software you don't want to upgrade to.

Look, I have brought up many reasons why upgrades are necessary. As my friend from Jersey, Johnny T. likes to say, you gotta do it.

It doesn't matter how many times I techsplain this, because some folks will always refuse to listen. Maybe it's because I write in long form and anything longer than 300 words is considered to be TL;DR these days. That's sad, and a topic for a different day.

Let me say this as simply as possible: If you are still using XP, you are the end-user equivalent of an anti-vaxxer. You are a menace to society and everyone around you. You are a walking malware vector. You should be shipped out to a remote island with no internet access to fend for yourselves so you can't infect anyone else.

And if you are an IT professional who serves in a decision-making capacity with an organization that continues to use XP or Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2005, you should be fired. You should never be allowed to work in the computer industry again.

You should not be allowed to touch a computer again either because you too are a menace. You are perpetuating the computer software equivalent of polio and smallpox.

More: http://www.zdnet.com/article/if-youre-still-using-windows-xp-youre-a-menace-to-society/

Punches pulled: Zero.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DB

That depends on what you do with it.

I've got XP loaded on a machine for gaming. Specifically to run Unread Tournament. I believe it is the 1999 version. The computer is used for nothing else. It has an Asus 24" monitor that can run 144 Hz refresh rate though I can only achieve 120 Hz due to drivers issues. The refresh rate (frame rate) and monitor video delay (data in to pixel change) are all important for competitive play.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Hell, I still have a Win 3.1/DOS 6.22 machine in the workshop (special case - it runs a unique bit of software). Doesn't mean I'm going to hook it up to the Net.

Letting XP have unfiltered internet access nowadays is a bit like letting your toddler feed lions.

Offline roamer_1

That depends on what you do with it.

Partly, the OP is stretching things. If you are behind a router, and never ever use IE, There isn't a lot to get at you. In that case, it is largely FUD.

I agree with the article in large part. It is too easy to get into a machine running at least Win7. But I have quite a few clients on XP yet... and they are largely absent from my bench. Remarkably so. I can't remember the last time I worked on an XP box. They are utterly absent.

I think it is so legacy that folks are no longer writing bugs for it - with the exception of ActiveX drivebys (which are not limited to XP), and which, if you are not using IE, and don't allow ActiveX in Firefox or Opera, you are completely immune to.  Likewise Java and Flash exploits, but to a lesser degree.

geronl

I doubt an XP machine can run the newer operating systems

Offline DB

Partly, the OP is stretching things. If you are behind a router, and never ever use IE, There isn't a lot to get at you. In that case, it is largely FUD.

I agree with the article in large part. It is too easy to get into a machine running at least Win7. But I have quite a few clients on XP yet... and they are largely absent from my bench. Remarkably so. I can't remember the last time I worked on an XP box. They are utterly absent.

I think it is so legacy that folks are no longer writing bugs for it - with the exception of ActiveX drivebys (which are not limited to XP), and which, if you are not using IE, and don't allow ActiveX in Firefox or Opera, you are completely immune to.  Likewise Java and Flash exploits, but to a lesser degree.

For gaming, XP is fast and low overhead. And yes, it is used behind a router/firewall so if you don't browse the net or use Email on it it is pretty safe.

I also have a LeCroy Wave Surfer 2 Gsps digital scope that uses XP as its OS. It isn't a problem and is expensive to replace.

Offline roamer_1

I doubt an XP machine can run the newer operating systems

I have a cheap ASUS EEEPC netbook from the XP era running Mint with XCFE...
It is S-L-O-W-W-W-w-w-W-W.

But, all I do with it anymore is listen to podcasts or youtube at night before sleep, or in the kitchen while I am cooking, or in my pack with buds while I am walking... It is great for that...

Though I would like a nix with a smaller footprint, still capable of that function and light PIM, which I used to use it for. I would love to have it back, fast enough for PIM.

Offline roamer_1

Offline roamer_1

For gaming, XP is fast and low overhead. And yes, it is used behind a router/firewall so if you don't browse the net or use Email on it it is pretty safe.

I don't think it is THAT unsafe if you are using the latest Opera to support XP, and web email... I would normally say Firefox, but I think Opera was the last to drop XP support... or maybe Chrome... so the latest browser you can get will be one of those... hopefully with a decent ad blocker and script blocker.

But you will also be using outdated Java and Flash, which is more of a problem, unless you can get to a browser capable of html5, where Java and Flash are less necessary. It will still puke on java heavy or flash heavy sites, but I think you could get around some.

I also have a LeCroy Wave Surfer 2 Gsps digital scope that uses XP as its OS. It isn't a problem and is expensive to replace.

Heh. I hear that. I still have clients with industrial equipment running my hacked DOS7.10/Win98 mini... Still running, but getting awfully hard to find replacement equipment for.

geronl

Though I would like a nix with a smaller footprint, still capable of that function and light PIM, which I used to use it for. I would love to have it back, fast enough for PIM.

Puppy Linux is a much smaller distro, but I don't know if it is capable of what you want.

Offline roamer_1

Puppy Linux is a much smaller distro, but I don't know if it is capable of what you want.

I know... One of these days I am going to have to try. I tried two different small Linux distros when I first set it up... but I don't remember which. I assume one was Puppy (as I am somewhat familiar), but I simply can;t remember.

One of these days, I want to stuff a N series WLAN in it (if I can, I don't know if it is soldered or a card), and I will probably address it then.

All the same, that is a crappy box from the XP era that is 'running' Mint.

geronl

All the same, that is a crappy box from the XP era that is 'running' Mint.

or walking it

:silly:

Offline roamer_1

or walking it

:silly:

LOL! no lie.

If I REALLY wanted to get kinky, I would gut the thing and try to hide a rasberry pi in there.I think it would have way more power.

That'd be a kinda fun waste of valuable time...

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Lol, author can bite me, I am doing great with my XP with icedragon (firefox knock off) browser. I block flash from most sites, I run a cookie eater add-on, I run a nice adblock program with good team of nice 3rd party folks updating it almost daily and a free antivirus program. I don't do email for the most part and I use common sense and don't download anything that I don't want to. If iffy, I can open something in a sandbox so it can't harm my system. Plus I do no credit cards on computer. I back up pictures and important stuff regularly on a remote external hard drive.

If someone does manages to actually compromise my system, I just wipe it clean and start fresh. I keep backups of my programs or use free stuff that is easily downloaded to start anew. So far, I never have had a problem.

Maintenance is simple, I take my box out to the shed ever couple of months and blow it out with a air hose so the fans and such don't drown in dust.   

The rest of the family of course has faster computers. I still managed to take each one under my wing and google for a few days how to remove all the crapware they put on them before I let the kids/wife have their new computers back.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:02:20 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

geronl

LOL! no lie.

If I REALLY wanted to get kinky, I would gut the thing and try to hide a rasberry pi in there.I think it would have way more power.

That'd be a kinda fun waste of valuable time...

My first computer was so slow I learned basic HTML from watching websites load...

Offline ShadowAce

@BikkFire @geronl @Smokin Joe @roamer_1 @Blizzardnh @markomalley @VarmintAl @Doug Loss @Rikki Tikki Tavi @guitar4jesus
@kevindavis @Oceander

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Add me to the tech ping please ace?

Offline DB

Heh. I hear that. I still have clients with industrial equipment running my hacked DOS7.10/Win98 mini... Still running, but getting awfully hard to find replacement equipment for.

eBay...

Offline ShadowAce

Add me to the tech ping please ace?

You've been added!  Welcome!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Still running XP. No problems for years. The problems quit when I stopped updating the OS.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

Still running XP. No problems for years. The problems quit when I stopped updating the OS.

Microsoft actually did one last update for XP the other day for this lastest cryto scare. It is free, and a small download. I did it just in case. Worked fine, figured wouldn't hurt to fix a blantant hole in their software.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

@Smokin Joe

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:54:29 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Microsoft actually did one last update for XP the other day for this lastest cryto scare. It is free, and a small download. I did it just in case. Worked fine, figured wouldn't hurt to fix a blantant hole in their software.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55245

@Smokin Joe
Thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

But you will also be using outdated Java and Flash, which is more of a problem, unless you can get to a browser capable of html5, where Java and Flash are less necessary. It will still puke on java heavy or flash heavy sites, but I think you could get around some.

I am still able to get Flash updates but I have to download the stand alone download and install it. I actually perfer it this way to be honest.

Bottom of this linked below page to get download.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

@roamer_1

Wingnut

I have a dell 4300 running XP Professional.  If it had an ethernet connection port instead of a dial-up telephone thingie I'd be surfing the interweb like it was 1999.

Offline roamer_1

I am still able to get Flash updates but I have to download the stand alone download and install it. I actually perfer it this way to be honest.

Bottom of this linked below page to get download.

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-windows.html

That's excellent! What browser and version are you using?

@Sighlass