Author Topic: Jeff Sessions' Explanation for Re-instituting the Discriminatory War on Drugs Is Flagrant BS (title edited)  (Read 8085 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
http://www.gq.com/story/jeff-sessions-mandatory-minimums-war-on-drugs

Full title:  Jeff Sessions' Explanation for Re-instituting the Discriminatory War on Drugs Is Flagrant Bullshit

The Attorney General has reinstated an archaic, wrongheaded policy that will lead to horrifying results.

Late Thursday night, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a man who looks like the type to spend a housewarming party happily talking your ear off about the "War of Northern Aggression" as you frantically look around for a reason to extricate yourself from the conversation, quietly ordered Department of Justice prosecutors to resume the dated practice of filing the most serious provable charges and pursuing the harshest possible sentences against federal criminal defendants. This directive rolls back Obama-era policies that took aim at the onerous sentences often imposed on nonviolent drug offenders, and it will have an immediate and disproportionate impact on people of color. It is a gratuitously cruel move that lacks any empirical justification, and the meager rationale that Sessions offers in support of it is, to be frank, a breathtakingly disingenuous crock of shit
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It doesn't help GQ's case when they start out the article with flagrant, bigoted hyperbole based on someone's looks and their stereotypes. There is a good argument to be made here but it is lost in the piss poor article.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
It doesn't help GQ's case when they start out the article with flagrant, bigoted hyperbole based on someone's looks and their stereotypes. There is a good argument to be made here but it is lost in the piss poor article.

Sessions piss poor decision needs piss poor articles.

(What is up with the Russian? You have a fan base?)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Obama instituted a policy of going easy on (mostly black) supposedly non-violent drug dealers and traffickers.

Thing is, most were hardly non-violent. It was just one aspect of Obama going easy on bad people.

I applaud reversing this deceptive penal system mistake.

On another level, California has reduced jail/prison for supposedly low level criminals, thieves etc. And predictably, there has been an increase in low level crime. A stupid initiative. Might get reversed, along with initiatives to stop tax increases, and maybe oust Brown.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

Sessions piss poor decision needs piss poor articles.

I think Russian hackers have been messing with us.

Offline Frank Cannon

I am not a huge fan on resources being spent on this issue, but since Obama took office the drug issue has spiraled out of control to the point Baltimore is calling for Federal assistance for their crime problem.

BTW, this article is obviously written by some petulant snowflake with a deep seeded hatred of anything to the right of Marx.

Offline Frank Cannon

If you are talking about Anna Chapman, I am a HUGE fan.

Offline ABX

If you are talking about Anna Chapman, I am a HUGE fan.

My offer still stands to give her protective custody if she ever defects.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I think Russian hackers have been messing with us.

Maybe merely Russian hacks.  ^-^

Offline DiogenesLamp

Full title:  Jeff Sessions' Explanation for Re-instituting the Discriminatory War on Drugs Is Flagrant Bullshit

Everything about this article is bullshit.     Drug laws aren't discriminatory,  you have 3% of the young black male population committing 40-50% of all crime.    Reflecting this in prosecutions and convictions is exactly what objectivity demands. 

Secondly,   the bad aspects of this fake so called "War on Drugs"   are far less of a problem than legalizing drugs. 

Legalized drugs killed 100 million people in China.   The only people who want to legalize drugs are ignorant morons.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Frank Cannon

Everything about this article is bullshit.     Drug laws aren't discriminatory,  you have 3% of the young black male population committing 40-50% of all crime.    Reflecting this in prosecutions and convictions is exactly what objectivity demands. 

Secondly,   the bad aspects of this fake so called "War on Drugs"   are far less of a problem than legalizing drugs. 

Legalized drugs killed 100 million people in China.   The only people who want to legalize drugs are ignorant morons.

I am ambivalent to the legalization of pot, but the other stuff cannot be legalized. Everyone says that doing heavy drugs only effects the user, but this new stuff floating around can kill innocent bystanders who just happen to accidently touch the stuff. Here in PA the local DA just put a warning out for a new drug called Gray Death (the name alone should tell users it's bad) that can screw someone up just by touching it....

Gray death, a new drug that contains elephant tranquilizer, may be in WNC

http://wlos.com/news/local/new-drug-gray-death-with-elephant-tranquilizer-may-be-in-wnc

The drug, a mix of heroin, an elephant tranquilizer, fentanyl and a man-made opioid, is causing overdoses and deaths.

And then there is heroin mixed with Carfentanil that is the new rage. Carfentanil can send a human into cardiac arrest just by touching it. EMT's are at risk of dying just by trying to save a dirtbags life.

Offline DiogenesLamp

New Hepatitis C Infections Triple, Driven By Drug Use, CDC Says

New cases of hepatitis C have nearly tripled in the past five years, driven mostly by people sharing needles to inject drugs, federal health officials said Thursday.

Since the liver-destroying infection doesn't usually cause symptoms until it's too late, it is important to make sure people get tested — and to fight the practices that get people infected in the first place, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a new report.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/new-hepatitis-c-infections-triple-driven-drug-use-cdc-says-n758156

Just one aspect of the destruction that drugs cause. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

I am ambivalent to the legalization of pot, but the other stuff cannot be legalized. Everyone says that doing heavy drugs only effects the user, but this new stuff floating around can kill innocent bystanders who just happen to accidently touch the stuff. Here in PA the local DA just put a warning out for a new drug called Gray Death (the name alone should tell users it's bad) that can screw someone up just by touching it....

http://wlos.com/news/local/new-drug-gray-death-with-elephant-tranquilizer-may-be-in-wnc

And then there is heroin mixed with Carfentanil that is the new rage. Carfentanil can send a human into cardiac arrest just by touching it. EMT's are at risk of dying just by trying to save a dirtbags life.

The problem I have with weed is that it causes permanent brain damage to people under the age of 28,  and it is also how most people get started doing the heavy stuff.   

If they put an age limit on it,  and require proof of assets sufficient to keep you off the dole,   then I don't have a problem with people getting stoned on weed.   

I know a bunch of retired people who smoke the stuff,  and since they aren't sucking up welfare and since they aren't trying to push the stuff on young people,   I don't care.   

But yeah,  i've known a lot of people that wrecked their and other's lives on the hard stuff.   I've known several people who died as a result of crack and meth. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Risking being called an Ass again here, but our so-called war on drug has been an abysmal failure ... comparable to Obamacare but hurting far more people.

I am for looking into (at least) the possibility of legalizing and regulating all drugs.  As we all know, some of the most addictive drugs are already legal; i.e. oxycontin, etc.

No  one should be sent to a regular prison for drug use.... possession should only result in mandatory time in a rehab center... no more expensive than prison and a lot more effective.

If drugs were legalized, there would NOT be more use.  We almost eradicated smoking by education and fear that it was harmful.  And, by the way, nicotine is consider by some scientists (the ones I believe) to be the most addictive drug.  My husband could never kick it even though it was hurting him.

Drugs are more harmful.

The prohibition experiment should have taught us something.  It created the Mafia, etc.

It's a huge problem and nothing could happen overnight but I think some serious studies should be done about legalizing and regulating drugs.

If you get the criminals out of the drug business, you won't have people pushing Gray Death.

If you want to call me an Ass, get in line.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

The problem I have with weed is that it causes permanent brain damage to people under the age of 28,  and it is also how most people get started doing the heavy stuff.   
So what is the research? How much does one need to smoke, while under age 28, to become brain damaged?

If brain damage evidence exists, it is not widely publicized while states move to legalize medical and recreational cannabis.

So again I ask, how much usage and how much brain damage? There is evidence of brain and heart damage, from booze.

But the questions for both is how much? So there are tradeoff, hopefully with good data.

How much usage, how much damage, and how much benefit for medicinal cases (glaucoma, nausea, etc.)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Risking being called an Ass again here, but our so-called war on drug has been an abysmal failure ...

That is true......and I'll call you an ass if it makes you feel better.

Offline DiogenesLamp

Risking being called an Ass again here, but our so-called war on drug has been an abysmal failure ... comparable to Obamacare but hurting far more people.

O.M.G!    I am so tired of hearing this bullshit meme constantly repeated by people who have not the slightest clue about what happens when  a "war on drugs"  is not fought.   

China lost their "War on Drugs",  and it wrecked that nation in every conceivable way.   Hundreds of millions died,  their assets were destroyed to feed their drug lords (the English)  and the whole thing crashed and burned.    It took China a hundred years to recover from what legalized drugs did to them,  and they are likely not completely recovered yet. 

If drugs were legalized, there would NOT be more use.

A claim disproved over and over again throughout history. 

If you get the criminals out of the drug business, you won't have people pushing Gray Death.

Yes you will.  They will just be legal.   

Drugging a nation, the story of China and the opium curse; a personal investigation, during an extended tour, of the present conditions of the opium trade in China and its effects upon the nation

https://archive.org/details/druggingnationst00merwiala
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

So what is the research? How much does one need to smoke, while under age 28, to become brain damaged?

If brain damage evidence exists, it is not widely publicized while states move to legalize medical and recreational cannabis.

So again I ask, how much usage and how much brain damage?

There is an acceptable amount?     This is a topic I have not argued in a long time,  but I bet I still have a link for the information you want somewhere in my forest of links on the subject.   Let me look through them and see if I can find the study about brain damage with marijuana usage in developing brains of adolescents.   

There is evidence of brain and heart damage, from booze.

In old people.   Not so much in young people.   Old farts can drink themselves to death if they have nothing to live for,   but I think the young should be more of a concern to us.   

But the questions for both is how much? So there are tradeoff, hopefully with good data.

How much usage, how much damage, and how much benefit for medicinal cases (glaucoma, nausea, etc.)

Most of the people using drugs for glaucoma or as a cancer treatment palliative are older than 28.   My recollection is that it only damages growing brains,  it doesn't have such an effect on fully mature brains. 

Here is one link I found in my collection.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2782906/The-terrible-truth-cannabis-British-expert-s-devastating-20-year-study-finally-demolishes-claims-smoking-pot-harmless.html
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That is true......and I'll call you an ass if it makes you feel better.

Actually, it makes me feel worse but not worse enough to do drugs.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

O.M.G!    I am so tired of hearing this bullshit meme constantly repeated by people who have not the slightest clue about what happens when  a "war on drugs"  is not fought.   

China lost their "War on Drugs",  and it wrecked that nation in every conceivable way.   Hundreds of millions died,  their assets were destroyed to feed their drug lords (the English)  and the whole thing crashed and burned.    It took China a hundred years to recover from what legalized drugs did to them,  and they are likely not completely recovered yet. 

A claim disproved over and over again throughout history. 

Yes you will.  They will just be legal.   

Drugging a nation, the story of China and the opium curse; a personal investigation, during an extended tour, of the present conditions of the opium trade in China and its effects upon the nation

https://archive.org/details/druggingnationst00merwiala

You drug that China/opium thing out the last time this was discussed. 

It is totally not applicable to anything today in this country.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
You drug that China/opium thing out the last time this was discussed. 

It is totally not applicable to anything today in this country.

That is right.

People can call me an ass and a moron too. But end the war on drugs. Legalize most of it. Hand out clean free heroin and let people have at it. I really don't care if they can't control themselves.

geronl

GQ sounds like a pure crap publication

geronl

That is right.

People can call me an ass and a moron too. But end the war on drugs. Legalize most of it. Hand out clean free heroin and let people have at it. I really don't care if they can't control themselves.

free drugs? hand it out?

especially children in school before the orgies, anything goes in Libertarian world, have at it! no limits!

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
free drugs? hand it out?

especially children in school before the orgies, anything goes in Libertarian world, have at it! no limits!

Yep. Education costs would plummet.