Author Topic: Naked shark guy identified as former NYC police officer, reporter says  (Read 352 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/beach/os-naked-shark-guy-identtified-20170512-story.html

The naked guy on the shark may have finally been identified, and it is reportedly a man named “Shawn” from upstate New York who is a former New York City police officer. And, get this, he was was going to meet with Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain to share a laugh about the infamous picture.

That’s what David Pingalore, sports anchor for WKMG-TV in Orlando, told the Orlando Sentinel’s Mike Bianchi on Friday on Bianch’s “Open Mike” radio show on 96.9 The Game.

“This guy lives in upstate New York, that photo was taken two years ago off the shores of Long Island — not in Florida,” Pingalore said. “I have the man that’s fully clothed that’s naked on the shark, on the boat. Yes, normal photographs.”

Pingalore said a friend of the naked man contacted him this week and has sent him additional photos. Pingalore says he’s been told the story of how the naked man got on the shark and how the man now fears for his life.

Pingalore is seeking permission to show the photos. But despite not having permission to post the pictures, he did tell a whale of a story about the naked shark guy.

According to Pingalore, he had brokered a meeting between the naked man and Florida Gators football coach Jim McElwain — who Deadspin.com reported looked like the guy on the shark.

“I was on the phone with Steve McClain [Florida’s senior associate athletics director for football],” Pingalore said. “The naked man wanted to meet Coach McElwain, then all of a sudden — an hour later — he flipped and got scared” and the meeting was called off.

“The man that is naked on the shark is afraid for his life because he believes bounty hunters — I’m not making this up — and people with shark people, whatever those people would be called … he’s afraid because the New York Post put up an article about ‘who is this naked man’ on the naked shark,” Pingalore said.